The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Captain America: Brave New World

Anthony Mackie posted a photo of his costume from the upcoming film.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9A3JyrvS4L/?hl=en

I like Anthony Mackie and enjoyed his performance as Falcon.  With that said, I just don't see him as Captain America, and given the extensive re-shoots this movie has been doing, I'm not holding out hope for anything good.  I predict this is going to be the next ultra-mega-flop for the MCU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Without being a prophet of OMGDOOMZOR too much - we already have a few round here…

…there has been at least one extensive round of reshoots, plus two script surgeons and a whole new major character added (but as that character is played by one Giancarlo Esposito, I’m good with that).

From the description, they were going for a spy/political/cape thriller along the lines of Winter Soldier, but needed more action sequences and to straighten out some feedback from test audiences.

It doesn’t sound like the most troubled Marvel production they’ve had by a mile,  but those are quite large fixes to need after you’ve supposedly wrapped.

• Haha 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Supposedly with all the reshoots, the budget has ballooned to over 400mill.

Even if halfway decent, I just don’t see how they will make any money.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ghost said:

That's what production costs were for Endgame back in 2019! Holy cow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Excraft said:

I like Anthony Mackie and enjoyed his performance as Falcon.  With that said, I just don't see him as Captain America,

I agree with all of that statement.   MCU Falcon has (mostly) been an amazing character all on his own.  I get that Falcon in the comics becomes Captain America for a time, but with wings that can act as shields, the actual shield looks awkward with MCU Falcon, like something tacked on to an already significant tech load.  Add to that the fact that Falcon is not a super soldier (something I'd had hopes would have happened with so much of the chemical floating around in the mini-series) and I'd much have preferred Bucky to wield the shield.  Using the cyber arm as a shield only gets one so far, and Buck doesn't have a lot of extra tech to rely upon.

I'll probably watch this, but my interest, which initially was peaked with that phenomenal aerial fight scene at the start, and continued by Walker's horrific fall from grace, was greatly curbed by the ending of Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  Capt. Falcon going on some preaching session about railroading a "little girl" after she'd deliberately murdered a number of people and repeatedly called it justifiable and everyone else's fault shows a serious lack of understanding in the Falcon character, IMHO.     The Isaiah Bradley story arc was incredibly painful to watch, especially as I was born into a state that was just coming out of the Jim Crow era bearing the scars from it for years, but I could accept the story, knowing some of the rotten things done here in the past, and I loved the resolution to that arc.  I liked the Bucky redemption arc best, as he's first freed from his mental conditioning hell, is forced to work against his rescuers, then has to face an incredibly painful confession to a friend.  I also liked the scenes with Falcon's sister's family, including the banter with a calmer Bucky flirting with Falcon's sister.  Those just felt right (well, mostly.  The banker scene was cringy).

All that to say, I'll probably watch the movie, but likely after I read reviews from early viewers.

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Being infused with the super soldier serum isn't what makes him (or anyone) Captain America.  Erskine chose Steve Rogers because above all else, he was a good man.  That's why Cap chose Sam to succeed him - because Sam is a good man. 

I don't think Falcon needs the serum to be honest. 

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

Ouch.  That isn't including additional re-shoots and marketing costs.  There's no way Disney is recouping that kind of money on this film. 

Edited by Excraft

16 hours ago, Excraft said:

Anthony Mackie posted a photo of his costume from the upcoming film.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9A3JyrvS4L/?hl=en

I like Anthony Mackie and enjoyed his performance as Falcon.  With that said, I just don't see him as Captain America, and given the extensive re-shoots this movie has been doing, I'm not holding out hope for anything good.  I predict this is going to be the next ultra-mega-flop for the MCU.

I liked his outfit from The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I have to say, I like this one better.

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

They're going to need LOTS of people showing up!

Thing for them tho, is only 10 of them have cracked 1 billion.

24 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I liked his outfit from The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I have to say, I like this one better.

I also liked the outfit in the miniseries.  My understanding was that it was on point to the comics.  However, a great many people mentioned something that bothered me as well: the lack of a helmet. 

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

I also liked the outfit in the miniseries.  My understanding was that it was on point to the comics.  However, a great many people mentioned something that bothered me as well: the lack of a helmet. 

Does Captain America need one?  Walker looked terrible with one imo.  Rogers did not.  Or are you talking Wilson?  Yeah, he lacked one in the miniseries, wonder if he'll have one in this one.

Or are they just avoiding it, because he'd take it off to much?

6 hours ago, BrandX said:

Does Captain America need one?  Walker looked terrible with one imo.  Rogers did not.  Or are you talking Wilson?  Yeah, he lacked one in the miniseries, wonder if he'll have one in this one.

Or are they just avoiding it, because he'd take it off to much?

Rogers would potentially heal (with memory loss?) assuming the damage done was not instantly fatal like grenade shrapnel to the brain, hence the helmet.  Walker, after juicing, might as well.  I get the impression that Walker's outfit was designed to make the viewer slightly uncomfortable, but I've not heard confirmation of that.  Sam Wilson, sans super soldier serum, is as vulnerable as a watermelon, just like any other normal human soldier.  Which is exactly why normal human soldiers wear helmets.  Sam's costume should have had one as well.

taa0530_106_comp_v097.1185_0.jpg&f=1&nof

40 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Rogers would potentially heal (with memory loss?) assuming the damage done was not instantly fatal like grenade shrapnel to the brain, hence the helmet.  Walker, after juicing, might as well.  I get the impression that Walker's outfit was designed to make the viewer slightly uncomfortable, but I've not heard confirmation of that.  Sam Wilson, sans super soldier serum, is as vulnerable as a watermelon, just like any other normal human soldier.  Which is exactly why normal human soldiers wear helmets.  Sam's costume should have had one as well.

taa0530_106_comp_v097.1185_0.jpg&f=1&nof

He wasn't wearing one as the Falcon, so I'm guessing that's why no helmet as Captain America.

21 hours ago, BrandX said:

They're going to need LOTS of people showing up!

Thing for them tho, is only 10 of them have cracked 1 billion.

I just don't see that happening to be honest.  Anthony Mackie seems like a decent guy from interviews I've seen with him, but he isn't leading man material for a movie that's going to need to pull in 1 billion+ in order to make money.

2 hours ago, Excraft said:

I just don't see that happening to be honest.  Anthony Mackie seems like a decent guy from interviews I've seen with him, but he isn't leading man material for a movie that's going to need to pull in 1 billion+ in order to make money.

I agree.  Especially with MCU movies being in the decline lately.

I was very excited about this movie.  I’m one of the people who loved Falcon/Winter Soldier series.

But I am worried after hearing the original movie ended up being mostly a Hulk movie with some Cap America, which is what led to extensive reshoots.

I just don’t understand how that could happen.  Did no one read and approve the script beforehand?  
Did no one look at the dailies and go “umm, where’s Cap in this Cap movie?”

How do you finish an entire movie and only then realize “we forgot to include the title character”

59 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I agree.  Especially with MCU movies being in the decline lately.

I was very excited about this movie.  I’m one of the people who loved Falcon/Winter Soldier series.

But I am worried after hearing the original movie ended up being mostly a Hulk movie with some Cap America, which is what led to extensive reshoots.

I just don’t understand how that could happen.  Did no one read and approve the script beforehand?  
Did no one look at the dailies and go “umm, where’s Cap in this Cap movie?”

How do you finish an entire movie and only then realize “we forgot to include the title character”

Oh, I would never bank on a MCU movie making a billion dollars.  It's a billion dollar franchise, but most of those movies haven't made that much.  Which is why they need to cut back on some of those budgets (without skimping on CGI).

I also don't think this Cap will be the 11th out of them all to make over a billion.

That said, is that why the reshoots?!  Yes.  Really.  What were they thinking?  

On 7/10/2024 at 10:14 AM, BrandX said:

That said, is that why the reshoots?!  Yes.  Really.  What were they thinking?  

The whole thing never should have been greenlit in my opinion.  Again, Anthony Mackie - great guy, talented actor and Falcon is a great supporting character.  Supporting being the important piece.  He isn't a big enough draw to carry a whole film.

2 hours ago, Excraft said:

The whole thing never should have been greenlit in my opinion.  Again, Anthony Mackie - great guy, talented actor and Falcon is a great supporting character.  Supporting being the important piece.  He isn't a big enough draw to carry a whole film.

I hear people say that, but then I would think they would've said that about original GotG movie.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BrandX said:

I hear people say that, but then I would think they would've said that about original GotG movie.  

I agree.

Mackie is a good actor.

If the movie is good, people will go see it.  

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

I agree.

Mackie is a good actor.

If the movie is good, people will go see it.  

Exactly.  That said, no matter how good it is, I'm not sure I'd wager on it making over a billion.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, BrandX said:

GoTG had a much smaller budget of around $250 million (less than half of CA: BNW depending on most reports) and was made during the heyday of the MCU.  It also didn't hit the billion dollar mark at the box office.  Things have changed considerably for the MCU since then with a rather lengthy run of mega-flops that have soured the audience.   

The reported $450 million dollar budget (mostly due to reshooting the bulk of the film) is a bigger budget than Avengers: Endgame which had all the A-list characters in it.  It doesn't take a genius to work out this movie is going to fail.  No way this even comes close to breaking even, let alone turning a profit.  

I'm wondering if this is being forced out due to deals with other actors/producers/directors?

• Thumbs Up 1

Teaser trailer

McDonald's already spoiled the ending with their Happy Meal toys lol

Can't get excited for this... not seeing anything that screams "billion +" at the box office.

5 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

GoTG had a much smaller budget of around $250 million (less than half of CA: BNW depending on most reports) and was made during the heyday of the MCU.  It also didn't hit the billion dollar mark at the box office.  Things have changed considerably for the MCU since then with a rather lengthy run of mega-flops that have soured the audience.   

The reported $450 million dollar budget (mostly due to reshooting the bulk of the film) is a bigger budget than Avengers: Endgame which had all the A-list characters in it.  It doesn't take a genius to work out this movie is going to fail.  No way this even comes close to breaking even, let alone turning a profit.  

I'm wondering if this is being forced out due to deals with other actors/producers/directors?

Making a profit at the box office and being popular are two different things.

If the movie makes 800 million.  I'd still consider it a popular movie.  It would however still be a bomb with a budget of 400-450 million.

Like I said, I don't expect it to make a profit.  Whether or not it becomes a popular movie is another question.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Teaser trailer

McDonald's already spoiled the ending with their Happy Meal toys lol

Can't get excited for this... not seeing anything that screams "billion +" at the box office.

"You're not Steve Rogers."

"You're right.  I'm not."

He should continue, "I'm just the one he chose to carry on his legacy."

So, despite what some Internet sleuths have said, the trailer has dropped on time...

Thoughts:

Spoiler
  • Nice, quite respectful lampshade/tribute about the handover from Bill to Harrison.
  • Much Foreshadowing about Thaddeus not being very nice. Not that we didn't know that anyway.
  • Isiah Bradley from (see F&WS) is our initial threat, though clearly not the Big Bad.
  • Much-expected "You're Not Steve" comment... not the best clapback I've ever heard.
  • Esposito as GW Bridge doing a Badass Walk and blowing stuff up. Excellent.
  • Nice crosscut from shield throw to bringing down the House (and who doesn't wanna do that in a movie?)
  • Dogfight with a an F35 - and possibly another Falcon trooper, unless that's just some kind of effect in the trailer.
    (And the Falcon trooper is probably faster, more maneuverable and less likely to, y'know, randomly explode than the F35).
  • Winding up on a very familiar figure, so I guess we know Thaddeus' arc (or do we?) 

All in all, quite familiar White House Down / Angel Has Fallen territory but with added capery.

Can't say I can see where 400 large has gone, if I'm honest, unless they rebuilt the whole White House just to blow it up...

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.