Marine Affinity Slotting?

Obsidian Blue

What is your planned play style?

I wouldn't skip Shoal Rush, as it is a good debuff, works with Tide Pool, and is Marine Affinity's version of Infrigidate for a T1 %damage power.

• Microphone 1

On 8/24/2024 at 12:05 PM, Obsidian Blue said:

So far I've taken all the powers and I'm wondering how to properly slot some of them. Also thinking I should drop Shoal Rush as it does not seem to be of benefit. 

Skip Shoal Rush. It serves no purpose at 50 and has terrible proc rate. Everything else is a must have

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 8/25/2024 at 2:56 PM, tidge said:

What is your planned play style?

I wouldn't skip Shoal Rush, as it is a good debuff, works with Tide Pool, and is Marine Affinity's version of Infrigidate for a T1 %damage power.

I'm a causal player (missions and story arcs). The main reason I'm asking about slotting. Is because I know powers in other power sets are good without the need to ad more slots. So basically I'm looking to avoid over slotting power that don't need them. 

If you're playing any sort of build that can quickly empty your end, I recommend slotting Toroidal Bubble with 3 end mods and 1-3 recharge reduction, (it's already kind of perma out of the box, so these recharges can probably be replaced with dmg res IOs or procs/uniques as desired).

On 8/27/2024 at 5:34 PM, Obsidian Blue said:

I'm a causal player (missions and story arcs). The main reason I'm asking about slotting. Is because I know powers in other power sets are good without the need to ad more slots. So basically I'm looking to avoid over slotting power that don't need them. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:18 AM, Seed22 said:

Skip Shoal Rush. It serves no purpose at 50 and has terrible proc rate. Everything else is a must have

Huh?  When I solo (ie. I can do things to a spawn before someone else runs in) I drop Tidal Pool on the spawn, which doesn't cause aggro, drop in Shoal rush which gives a nice defense debuff, slows them, AND (with Tidal Pool) knocks a ton of them down, then I hit them with Whitecap for another knockdown (plus the -Res).  My 50 Marine Affinity/Electrical Blast Defender is running +2/4 without difficulty.  In Shoal Rush I think I have two Hami-Os (acc/Def Debuff really cheap in auction house and a Slow IO)

Honestly, if I were to skip a power in Marine, I would skip Soothing Wave.  It doesn't heal you, it is a cone, and its additional effect is a 15% damage debuff for 10 seconds.  So, its nice to shoot into Melee and heal the tank or scrappers, I guess, as your debuffing those around them for 10 seconds.  Personally, 5 slotting Barrier Reef with Nictus, I rarely see the green part of my health bar move despite having a very kamikaze jump into the middle of the spawn play style as a 50 Marine/Electric (Offender/Sapper)

(EDIT - Apparently Soothing waves can heal you, but with the resists you have with bubble and the absorb you'll have from barrier reef, and the fact that you still have green inspirations available, I see a 10s damage debuff when they are probably just falling down at that point anyways, by far the most skippable power in this set)

Edited by laudwic

I skipped Soothing Wave, considered adding it as a late-build power, considered adding it to a second build, and I still don't have it.

Generally: I find Ally Heals to be a somewhat mixed bag for 2024 CoX. I don't want to yuck on anyone's yum or explore the precision calculus of role-diversity for hard mode, so please recognize this is my general attitude.

However: I feel that enemy debuffs always deserve a look! Reducing enemy damage by 12% should be pretty good! However, it needs to hit enemies, and the duration is 10 seconds, with a similar short base recharge time. I can believe there is an opportunity for some clever slotting (especially if any %procs can help teammates), but I'm thinking minimal Accuracy/Heal and pass on trying to get juicy healing set bonuses from it.

I considered taking it late, but I didn't really have slots for it and my 32+ powers were pretty much dedicated to mules for enhancements. The easy change from my Controller build would be to swap out the level 41 Unleash Potential (2 slots) but I selfishly want that power because the modern 2024 game is so unpredictable in getting healing or buffs (from other players)! Ironic or not, you decide!

I can see arguments for having Soothing Wave, but I haven't seen one to convince me to take it.. except as part of a "total support" build.

Edited by tidge

12 minutes ago, tidge said:

However, it needs to hit enemies

I need to test this, does the debuff really have a to hit roll? And if so, why does the power not take accuracy enhancements?

What this team needs is more Defenders

I opened up my combat log tab and hit soothing wave toward enemies, the log said that it applied "wet" to the enemies but didn't say anything either way about the damage debuff.  I suspect this is because, according to CoD, SW calls a second power that actually houses the debuff.

I don't have time now, but I plan on logging into a lower level Marine toon and using power analyzer and high level mobs to do more testing.

• Like 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

7 hours ago, laudwic said:

Wave.  It doesn't heal you

Yes it does

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Soothing is your cookie cutter heal. Shoal is the obvious skip, and everything else is a must have.

If you wanna take shoal thats fine, but in endgame its not doing anything. But I guess in something like CoH that doesn’t really matter much

10 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Soothing is your cookie cutter heal. Shoal is the obvious skip, and everything else is a must have.

If you wanna take shoal thats fine, but in endgame its not doing anything. But I guess in something like CoH that doesn’t really matter much

Soothing is replaced by the absorb from Barrier Reef.  I only need greens if I'm dealing with spawns that I know I'm a little over my head.  I'm currently running a 50 Def Marine/Electric Offender/Sapper.  I've opened all my incarnate save Hybrid.  Vast majority solo, an occasional Task Force.  I'm running +2/4, no level shifts yet.  I rarely use Greens (only if I haven't paid enough attention to Barrier Reef) and haven't visited the hospital in quite some time.

Start with Tidal Pool.  No Aggro and a condition precedent to a bunch of other effects.  Then Shifting Tides on something in the middle of the spawn.  Then Shoal Rush.  Now I have a Def Debuff for very little slots (I have to Hami Acc/Def Debuff cheap in AH and a Slow IO) and a good number have fallen.  White Cap into the middle of the spawn hitting more because of the def debuff.  So now -Res to all of them, and more are falling.  Then Short Circuit generally followed by Ball Lightning both benefiting from the -Def and -Res to kill End of anything under Elite Boss Level.  So, now the spawn is -Def, -Res, I have a damage bonus (from shifting tides) and the majority of what is there is slowed, without endurance, falling, and taking a little damage occasionally from frenzy.  

Shoal Rush at 50 gives me a soft hold, a decent Def debuff which aids my -end powers hitting, and slows them. 

Nothing is better than watching your zero end enemies try to slowly run away and keep falling. 

I can see Soothing Wave if your a Mastermind or if your going to hang back.  From my experience, this set seems to be far more effective being in the enemies face/in the middle of the fight to gain the benefits of being in Tidal Pool and Shifting Tides.  If you don't want to be in the middle of everything, then Whitecap is your skip power.  I just don't see wanting to be in the middle, where your hitting all the Melee characters with your bubble, then having to pull back so you can use your cone healing/debuff.

Life everything, it is playstyle dependent.  For my playstyle, at Fifty, doing Dark Astoria Arcs, Shoal Rush is far better than Soothing Wave.

• Like 1