New Powerset for Archetypes

I know there was never a complete powerset for any of the Archetypes, BUT, I would LOVE to see a complete powerset for "Magic" for either Ranged Damage, Crowd Control or Support

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Down 2
  • Thumbs Left 2
  • Finland 1
  • Moose 1

What exactly are you asking for in the way of power sets? Just saying you would like new power sets for the ATs isn't very helpful. And magic is an origin in the game. All power sets in the game are magic if you take the magic origin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2
  • Finland 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

I guess I should be more specific. We already have powersets for (Fire Control/Blast/Affinity/Manipulation, Electrical Control/Blast/Affinity/Manipulation, Earth Control/Blast/Affinity/Manipulation, etc) so create a powerset for a magic based powerset called Arcane Control/Blast/Affinity/Manipulation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Finland 1

1 hour ago, Solok said:

I guess I should be more specific. We already have powersets for (Fire Control/Blast/Affinity/Manipulation, Electrical Control/Blast/Affinity/Manipulation, Earth Control/Blast/Affinity/Manipulation, etc) so create a powerset for a magic based powerset called Arcane Control/Blast/Affinity/Manipulation.

You're not going to see a magic specific powerset created for this game due to the way the origins work. A powerset has to make sense for all of the origins to use it. And if you can explain something like Arcane Blast for all the origins, then what would you have it entail? What makes it different from blast sets we already have beyond a "magic" flair (which it couldn't have anyway due to the origins)? I keep seeing this sort of request pop up, but as the others have mentioned, it seems to ignore the fact that magic is an origin in this game and that any powerset is magic if you so choose.

• Finland 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

2 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

And if you can explain something like Arcane Blast for all the origins, then what would you have it entail? What makes it different from blast sets we already have beyond a "magic" flair (which it couldn't have anyway due to the origins)?

You're spot on. If you have a specific 'Arcane Blast' set, then if you're creating a character who's a dimension traveller from a universe like Poul Anderson's Operation Chaos universe, where magic is the technology, then if they're using enchanted devices to produce their power effects, then neither a Magic nor a Technology origin really fits to the character concept. I have a Fire/Time/Dark Corruptor, Machinator Magicus (roughly 'magical engineer' in Latin), who is exactly that -- someone from another dimension where magic takes the place of technology in our dimension -- and I could just create them as a Magic origin character and pick whatever powersets I wanted, because all of them could be handwaved as magical effects. Creating a powerset that is defined as magical breaks concept for any character origin that isn't Magic, because the powerset is locked in concept to the origin; you're constraining the ability of players to create whatever character they want with whatever powerset(s) they want, and foot out how they tie to the character's origin on their own, either in their head or in the character's bio.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1

23 hours ago, Solok said:

I know there was never a complete powerset for any of the Archetypes, BUT, I would LOVE to see a complete powerset for "Magic" for either Ranged Damage, Crowd Control or Support

This feels like a trap.  Is this a set-up?  Are we being punk'd?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1
  • Microphone 1

12 minutes ago, Solok said:

Origins dont do squat though

I don't believe they are meant to do anything. Part of this genre of game is the RP part of MMORPG; as Rudra said, your origin defines how your character obtained their powers. And they are the reason why a dedicated "magic" powerset will never happen. But origins are literally the reason why your powers exist in this game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

11 minutes ago, Solok said:

Origins dont do squat though

Origins are part of the RP in MMORPG.  They don't do anything for the same reason costume parts don't do anything.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Microphone 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

52 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Origins are part of the RP in MMORPG.  They don't do anything for the same reason costume parts don't do anything.

I have to wonder, when I see suggestions like this, what the OP envisions their proposed set would look like;  In this case, when @Solok says "Magic", do they mean something like a stereotypical D&D mage, with a magic missile, fireball, lightning bolt, and other such signature abilities. or are they picturing some kind of vague blasts with runes, pictograms, or other such "magical symbols" floating about...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

31 minutes ago, biostem said:

do they mean something like a stereotypical D&D mage, with a magic missile, fireball, lightning bolt, and other such signature abilities.

That can already be made in game. And on a previous such thread, I even provided the build to do so. (I had to use a Controller, but Controllers suit D&D style wizards better given their array of abilities than Blasters do.)

31 minutes ago, biostem said:

or are they picturing some kind of vague blasts with runes, pictograms, or other such "magical symbols" floating about...

And we have the runes aura that can be applied to just the hands to do that.

No, for the most part, the individuals making these requests are simply looking for power sets that are flat out called magic in some fashion. Several of those individuals have already stated as much in those previous such threads. Because if it doesn't say "magic", "arcane", or anything similar, then it obviously is not magic no matter what origin is taken for the character.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "states" to "stated".
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 3
  • Finland 1

3 hours ago, biostem said:

I have to wonder, when I see suggestions like this, what the OP envisions their proposed set would look like

It's the same line of thinking as these magic gems:

Really the only suggestion I've seen on this sub forum recently that could make sense from the "magic perspective," meet the outlier/niche request from the original post above, and potentially require little background animation work since it already exists in enemy attacks, is this suggestion - which two members of the Homecoming Team gave their like reaction to:

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Finland 1

See other people have been saying this for years, we need a "Arcane/ Sorcery/ Eldritch" powerset. Not all powersets have to fit into all the Origins. How does Thorny Assault or Plant Control fit into the Technology Origin?? It doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3
  • Finland 1

13 minutes ago, Solok said:

we need

Want != need.  If the game needed origin-specific sets, it wouldn't have lasted for 20 years without them.

16 minutes ago, Solok said:

How does Thorny Assault

Nanotechnology.  Sub-dermal implants.  Cancerous growths controlled and shaped with electromagnetic radiation.  Magnets.

16 minutes ago, Solok said:

or Plant Control fit into the Technology Origin??

Microchips controlling genetically modified plants.  Special computer helmet which grants telepathic communication with plants.  Intelligent plants brought through a technologically created portal to another universe.  Magnets!

It's called "imagination".  Try it.  You'll find that everything in the game works when you use it.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Microphone 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 hours ago, Solok said:

How does Thorny Assault or Plant Control fit into the Technology Origin??

Thorny Assault:

You have a device implanted in you that generates and projects the thorns.

You have a device that portals/teleports the plants at the target aggressively.

You have a nanotech device that creates (choose material desired) and projects it at the target.

Plant Control:

You have a device that commands the plants.

You have a device that creates fake plants that do what you need.

You have a device that portals/teleports the plants at the target aggressively.

Just 3 examples for each off the top of my head.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1

7 hours ago, Solok said:

This just demonstrates your lack of imagination;  Not only could/does technology currently facilitate the growth of plants IRL, but in a world of AI and nanotech, it isn't much of a stretch to imagine some sort of device that spontaneously generates plants and/or uses some sort of existing plant stock to rapidly cause them to grow and in a specific direction/location and with specific properties...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1

9 hours ago, Solok said:

You develop a technology that imbues you with the powers of nature and the power to control plants.

These powers are not permit and cause tremendous damage to your body ... you design and build a chamber (an incredible piece of technology) to heal your body and re-establish your powers.

Your body continues to reject the powers, throwing thorns from your body in various ways. The chamber does not help enough. You build a suit out of incredible technology to help control these powers.

DONE!

200.webp?cid=790b7611cinx8xxmhagu9mbrfkz

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

/e poofgone

9 hours ago, Luminara said:

Want != need.  If the game needed origin-specific sets, it wouldn't have lasted for 20 years without them.

Nanotechnology.  Sub-dermal implants.  Cancerous growths controlled and shaped with electromagnetic radiation.  Magnets.

Microchips controlling genetically modified plants.  Special computer helmet which grants telepathic communication with plants.  Intelligent plants brought through a technologically created portal to another universe.  Magnets!

It's called "imagination".  Try it.  You'll find that everything in the game works when you use it.

MAGNETS!! . . . Curses its Always Magnets !

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Finland 1