New Powerset for Archetypes

On 9/3/2024 at 9:50 PM, Glacier Peak said:

It's the same line of thinking as these magic gems:

Really the only suggestion I've seen on this sub forum recently that could make sense from the "magic perspective," meet the outlier/niche request from the original post above, and potentially require little background animation work since it already exists in enemy attacks, is this suggestion - which two members of the Homecoming Team gave their like reaction to:

WOW, there is so many great ideas for an arcane powerset, and there is a lot of request and demand for it, I don't see a reason not to make one of the proposed powerset ideas, plus it would be fun to play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Finland 1

This is probably better as a suggestion that they give every existing powerset new alternate Animations... which include "Magic" based aesthetics. This could be done with every powerset and origin and would give animators plenty to do... if they actually had enough animators who wanted to do this.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1

2 hours ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

This is probably better as a suggestion that they give every existing powerset new alternate Animations... which include "Magic" based aesthetics. This could be done with every powerset and origin and would give animators plenty to do... if they actually had enough animators who wanted to do this.

That would not be logical I would not see psychic blast being believable with the animations that I have seen in the older post. I think it would be a new power with its own look and feel, the older powers do need new alt animations but not anything have to do with mystic energies.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1

34 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

That would not be logical I would not see psychic blast being believable with the animations that I have seen in the older post. I think it would be a new power with its own look and feel, the older powers do need new alt animations but not anything have to do with mystic energies.

Is this KingCedd or whoever the main proponent of these requests on an alt account or something? The person you quoted quite literally gave one of the most logical arguments that could be made in favor of a "magical" suggestion.

No matter how badly you and your alt accounts want a magic powerset, it's not going to happen. And the reasons for why not have been laid out multiple times in this thread, and likely in the others.

Magic is an origin, not a powerset. Any powerset can be made magical, especially if we eventually had animators who provide alternate magicky looking animations.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1
  • Microphone 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

18 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Is this KingCedd or whoever the main proponent of these requests on an alt account or something? The person you quoted quite literally gave one of the most logical arguments that could be made in favor of a "magical" suggestion.

No matter how badly you and your alt accounts want a magic powerset, it's not going to happen. And the reasons for why not have been laid out multiple times in this thread, and likely in the others.

Magic is an origin, not a powerset. Any powerset can be made magical, especially if we eventually had animators who provide alternate magicky looking animations.

Sorry. I don't know who you are referring to. I happen to have read something things here and wanted to include my two cents.  and I see that. yes, it is an origin but there are different types of magic that come from an umbrella from magic, use as voodoo, necromancy, demon summoning which we do have in the game, which is quite fun to play. but I believe an energy arcane type power would be nice to round things out.  And your idea of magic just being any power is quite limiting. Putting alt animations on exciting powers is very lazy, for a game to grow and improve new things must be introduced.

Edited by Wingslord24
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1

2 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

Sorry. I don't know who you are referring to. I happen to have read something things here and wanted to include my two cents.  and I see that. yes, it is an origin but there are different types of magic that come from an umbrella from magic, use as voodoo, necromancy, demon summoning which we do have in the game, which is quite fun to play. but I believe an energy arcane type power would be nice to round things out.  And your idea of magic just being any power is quite limiting.

Needing a dedicated magical blast set is actually the limiting idea. Any new powerset added into this game needs to fit *all* of the origin types, and a specifically magical powerset does not do this.

You have the magic origin; literally anything you want is a magical powerset. How is that limiting? You want energy arcane power? Roll a magic origin character that takes energy blast and use your bio and imagination to note it's arcane energy. Round this out with the sorcery power pool.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

2 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Needing a dedicated magical blast set is actually the limiting idea. Any new powerset added into this game needs to fit *all* of the origin types, and a specifically magical powerset does not do this.

You have the magic origin; literally anything you want is a magical powerset. How is that limiting? You want energy arcane power? Roll a magic origin character that takes energy blast and use your bio and imagination to note it's arcane energy. Round this out with the sorcery power pool.

There is more to arcane than just blasting away. that's like trying to use a saw for a cutting job it would do.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Finland 1

4 hours ago, Wingslord24 said:

WOW, there is so many great ideas for an arcane powerset, and there is a lot of request and demand for it, I don't see a reason not to make one of the proposed powerset ideas, plus it would be fun to play.

Joined the forums just in time to post this, didn’t ya, Mr. Alt Account 😉

• Haha 1
  • Finland 1

7 minutes ago, arcane said:

Joined the forums just in time to post this, didn’t ya, Mr. Alt Account 😉

Yes, I just made an account I'm new and you accuse me of alt accounts? what are you trying to get at? I see you guys have an alt account problem but whoever you think,

Edited by Wingslord24
  • Moose 1

19 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

Yes, I just made an account I'm new and you accuse me of alt accounts? what are you trying to get at? I see you guys have an alt account problem but whoever you think,

Well, if you’re genuinely new, I apologize and invite you to learn about origins before diving into the Suggestions subforum.

• Like 2
  • Moose 1

18 minutes ago, arcane said:

Well, if you’re genuinely new, I apologize and invite you to learn about origins before diving into the Suggestions subforum.

I have been playing this game for a while I know about the origin's powers and exc, so I don't need education on it. And just a suggestion stop trying to box powers into and origin, it's only a way the power is created it does not mean it is the power itself. Have a good morning.

• Confused 1
  • Moose 1

4 hours ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

Since magic is an origin in the game, this has been floated in every magic power set request thread. However, like I said, unless the power set is specifically called magic in some way, the ones making the requests refuse to accept it.

1 hour ago, Wingslord24 said:

There is more to arcane than just blasting away. that's like trying to use a saw for a cutting job it would do.

Magic is one of five origins in the game. It is a source from which characters get their powers. The Sorcery pool is/was one of five planned Origin pools. Primary and Secondary pools however are already magic. Even the ones like Robotics and Assault Rifle. It just takes the magic origin to make them magic. And there is a plethora of references across comics, video games, cartoons, and other media that shows how that works. So no, there will not be a Magic Blast power set. However, alternate animations that portray the sets better for magic are welcome.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Moose 1

• Game Master
3 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Is this KingCedd or whoever the main proponent of these requests on an alt account or something?

2 hours ago, Wingslord24 said:

Sorry. I don't know who you are referring to. I happen to have read something things here and wanted to include my two cents.  

Welcome to the forums, Winglord24!  Whether you are the reincarnation of KingCedd03 or not, please remember to follow the code of conduct.  

Reminder: we can see your IP address and can compare IPs between accounts.

• Haha 4
  • Moose 1

7 minutes ago, biostem said:

How is "a magic blast set" or a "magic 'anything' set", anything other than "boxed into an origin"? 

It is interesting to see that argument about boxing things into an origin when they're trying so hard to get a powerset created that does not and will not work with this game in this current iteration. And that this person chooses to ignore every reason given to them for why this type of powerset will not happen. Being able to choose your origin and fit it to any powerset in the game is pretty damn freeing, and I've seen some people come up with wildly creative alternate uses for the existing powersets to fit a theme they have that I never would have thought of.

• Moose 1
  • Microphone 1

I'm curious...we have several Gun powersets, and yet you can play those as magic origin.

Why couldn't one have some kind of otherworldly powerset and then play it as tech origin?

I mean, you can play Dark Miasma as tech origin, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

If you can use a Magic Assault Rifle, surely you can use a Technology Wand?

• Like 1
  • Moose 1

16 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

If you can use a Magic Assault Rifle, surely you can use a Technology Wand?

They aren't asking for a wand set, they are asking for a "magic" set.

There is a difference.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

They aren't asking for a wand set, they are asking for a "magic" set.

There is a difference.

Sure, sure.

But hypothetically, if a set was made called Eldritch Research (A Blast set, let's say) that had a couple of curses (you draw a Rune in the air), a couple of wand attacks, and some kind of rain maybe...would that be flexible enough to not require a particular origin? Is it literally just the NAME "Magic" that is the problem here?

• Moose 1
  • Microphone 1

On 9/3/2024 at 4:37 PM, Solok said:

Origins dont do squat though

If I remember correctly from live, Origins used to determine the contact path you had for most of the game. This is why the dialogue with contacts are like "they love working with magic based heroes and can provide magical enhancements" It was nice for lore and you could then "dip into" another origins contacts to experience new enemies and paths/arcs. I kinda miss that. One can self curate with ouroboros and the find contact tab with some knowhow, but it would be nice to be able to choose to run the OG contact paths for origins or just go the new homcomeing freeforall contacts route. (kinda like the optional double xp toggle. I like the option for reg,25,50,75,100) Each have pros/cons imo. Also if one RPs any bit origin does a whole bunch in terms of backstory and enjoyment/playability/power selection for some toons. Technically no but its nice to create a story for some. *shoulder shrugs*

• Moose 1

11 minutes ago, GarysBerries said:

it would be nice to be able to choose to run the OG contact paths for origins

You can.  Talk to the starter zone contact (they're no longer automatically introduced to you, but they're not locked and not gone) for your origin and follow the chain.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

14 minutes ago, GarysBerries said:

but it would be nice to be able to choose to run the OG contact paths for origins or just go the new homcomeing freeforall contacts route.

When you log your new character into Atlas Park, walk into City Hall and go down the stairs. There are five offices down there with names that tell you what origin they are for. Walk into any office and talk to the contacts inside. They will give you the original contact path. You can do this for any of the five origin offices regardless of your origin, so you can do them all if you want. Though you will need to turn off XP to do so.

• Like 1
  • Moose 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

Sure, sure.

But hypothetically, if a set was made called Eldritch Research (A Blast set, let's say) that had a couple of curses (you draw a Rune in the air), a couple of wand attacks, and some kind of rain maybe...would that be flexible enough to not require a particular origin? Is it literally just the NAME "Magic" that is the problem here?

As has been brought up on the previous threads for the same thing, a new primary that uses magic animations but is called something not pigeon-holed, like Primal Forces, Chaos, or whatever is fine. Getting spellcasting animations for existing power sets is also fine. However, neither of those options is acceptable by those asking for a magic set. They specifically want it called magic, eldritch, arcane, sorcery, or something else with magic animations.

I don't think anyone has issues with a new power set that uses magic-esque animations. We can always request less magic-esque animations. No one that I am aware of is complaining about having something like a Staff Blast set where you wield a staff to fire the set's powers, or a Wand Blast set where you wield a wand to fire the set's powers. Those of us against are specifically against something like a Magic Blast set however. And those in favor will only accept a Magic Blast set.

• Like 4
  • Moose 1