Non-breaking space ( ) code appearing in macro edit

Ridiculous Girl

in a totally unrelated bug report i mentioned that i have occasionally had &nbsp being inserted in my macros while i am editting, after someone else mentioned it. @srmalloy mentioned that it was a HMTL code and it should not be appearing. well, i finally was fooling around with some macros again, trying things out and i got it again. it happens when i am editing directly in the editor, but i am not sure if it is because i am pasting in some text from a text document or if it is because i am doing multiple revsions of the same macro in the editor. i'll try some more, to recreate this when i have more time

On 8/30/2024 at 12:17 AM, srmalloy said:

'&nbs' is the HTML 'non-breaking space' entity (so if you had a string 'mad&nbslad', you would always see 'mad lad' on one line in a web page, never splitting 'mad' and 'lad' across two lines); the game should not be inserting HTML entities into your macros.

image.png.d19149918d220ee9bdb6867323943380.png

please ignore all the limitless radial freeeem because i was just messing around... 😄

Edited by Ridiculous Girl
changed title subject to better reflect the bug, and fixed typos

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"وطن المرء ليس مكان ولادته و لكنه المكان الذي تنتهي فيه كل محاولاته للهروب”

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

well that was easy to reproduce...

i made the macro, did some edits, tested it, did some more, tested some more, it failed when it should have worked and when i looked at it, the hidden script was there in the text. but if i copy the text out of the macro editor, it does not appear when i paste it in a text editor, like here "powexeclocation target faux grant"... the only way to fix it is to paste the text back in. then the macro works as expected. (or fail since faux grant does not do anything... 😉 )

image.png.7b0624c1998f1cdcce42b38b9517f386.png

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

• Ridiculous Girl changed the title to Non-breaking space ( ) code apearing in macro edit

OMG i changed the title and put the code in the title and it is functioning as a non-breaking space! OOPS! 🤪

• Ridiculous Girl changed the title to Non-breaking space ( ) code appearing in macro edit
1 hour ago, Ridiculous Girl said:

i have occasionally had &nbsp being inserted in my macros while i am editting, after someone else mentioned it. @srmalloy mentioned that it was a HMTL code and it should not be appearing.

It can also happen if you copy a macro. For instance, several of my characters have lots of different appearances. They typically use the same costume change emote for each one though, so after making the 1st costume change macro, I will copy the text in the macro to paste in the rest to save myself time. Only to have the new macros not work. And when I check the failed macros text, their text has changed to HTML code. It does not happen often, but on any character that it happens on, it happens for all the macros. (The weird part is that typically if I go back to the original macro and re-copy the text into the duplicate macros? It fixes the other macros most of the time for some reason. Otherwise I have to delete that macro because it refuses to change the displayed HTML code to regular text no matter what I do, and then just make a new macro where I just type in the text.)

• Thumbs Up 1

This is one reason I always encourage using a VERY basic text editor (Ex: Notepad) when dealing with anything that's sensitive to possible hidden characters as you never know when it'll sparce something you don't know is there.

• Banjo 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)