Gnarly's Speed on Demand Bindkit

If you're looking for the old Gnarly's Speed On Demand bindkit, someone's put it up here on a file locker site:

https://mega.nz/#F!4HB2kAoC!Hy1m4EXbcyrPXxPPMCSb8w

The program is a bit user-unfriendly, but it does work. Some folks prefer it to CityBinder, as it seems to make fewer files and use them a bit more efficiently. When you run it, you get a window that asks you a series of questions, then asks for a subdirectory to output the binds to. You can make multiple sets of binds, for characters who fly or just run, for characters with and without superspeed, for characters who have or don't have drawn weapons, etc., in any combination, as long as you direct them to different subdirectories.

The only problem with the binds it produces are that the program was created before the command /bindloadfilesilent was added to the game, so using its output results in a constant bind load spam to the System channel every time you press a key. (Unless, of course, you go through every one of a zillion different files and hand-edit the bindloadfile command to bindloadfilesilent.) I wonder if there's any way to tweak it to use that silent command instead of the non-silent one it uses now, without having recourse to the source code?

• Thanks 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

Once you get used to these they are kind of hard to live without. It just feels like your hero is broken heh.

Yes there is a way. I made a modified version for myself that addresses this and a few other things but the simplest way for people to fix this issue on their own is to grab a free copy of a mass search and replace notepad program such as Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/.

Install it and point it to the folders where you have binds for a character (you may have to open each folder separately AF AR BO etc etc) and once all the folders with files are open just do a search and replace (binoculars icon IIRC) and put in bind_load_file in the search field and bindloadfilesilent in the replace field and in a minute or so it will replace all 930 or so instances where it's found in each document. Then do a save all command and it will save all 930 instances and then close all or close the program and presto! Enjoy your non verbose binds. 🙂

Extra Awesome Bonus! You can also use this to swap out any power as well (i.e. take out sprint and replace it with PrestigePowerSlide or swap Ninja Run in for SS or whatever you like).

Cheers!

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

• 2 weeks later

Oh good catch StJ. It is a small distinction but an important one.

You should enter bind_load_file (with underscores separating the words) into the "find what" field.

The  bindloadfilesilent  in the "replace with" field is fine as is. Running a search as I had it above would find

no results and you would then need to open one of the files to find the correct syntax. Updated my post and thanks. 🙂

• Thanks 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

20 hours ago, LaconicLemur said:

Could you give examples of how you use it?

I use it for toons that have hover and fly.    It will automatically switch between hover or fly if you are moving or being still.   If I want to run I just hit a key and it turns off hover/fly and then it turns off and on sprint to save endurance.  

I can’t remember exactly. But...

ctrl+m to enable

F. Turn on hover/fly mode

E. Turn in run/sprint mode

ctrl+r to reset if things get out of whack

Edited by SmalltalkJava
Spelling
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, LaconicLemur said:

Could you give examples of how you use it?

Sure Laconic Lemur (hey were you once in Flight School???)

For the most part it is a "best of both worlds" kind of setup. Lets say, as SmallTalkJava above

mentioned, you have both Hover and Fly in your build and you are a squishy Blaster.

Hover is good because it gives you a bonus to Defense while

letting you make small, precise "stop on a dime" adjustments to

your position while only costing a negligible amount of Endurance.

The downside of course is it's painfully slow at going anywhere.

Flight, on the other gauntlet, has no innate Defense bonus, gives no precision stops 

(you let off the key and proceed to float past the point where you wanted to stop) and it

uses a considerable amount of Endurance (enough that it could cause you to run out during

combat) but on the plus side it gets you where you are going so much faster.

So essentially you are constantly having to switch between the two and sometimes you forget or are not fast

enough on the trigger and debt happens (well more debt than usual that is... you are still a Blaster in this scenario). rs4wmRnk_o.gif

That's where the SoD binds come in. If you leap into the air and stay still they automatically put you in Hover.

Make small movements to adjust your line of sight (like single key taps), you are still in Hover, but press and

hold a directional key for more than a second and they automatically switch off Hover and turn on Flight.

Let go of the key and you come to a precise stop and gain your +Def as Flight turns off and Hover takes over.

The end result? It's like magic, you stop thinking about what movement

power you have running and focus on blasting/healing/buffing or what have you.

Need to get somewhere quick? You are already flying. Time to fight? You are

already moving precisely, conserving End and getting your +Def bonus.

You can do the same thing for Combat Jumping and Super Jump

or Prestige Power Slide and Super Speed or mix in Ninja Run etc etc.

• Like 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

16 hours ago, SmalltalkJava said:

I use it for toons that have hover and fly.    It will automatically switch between hover or fly if you are moving or being still.   If I want to run I just hit a key and it turns off hover/fly and then it turns off and on sprint to save endurance.  

I can’t remember exactly. But...

ctrl+m to enable

F. Turn on hover/fly mode

E. Turn in run/sprint mode

ctrl+r to reset if things get out of whack

I have Ground/Air switching set to the two extra mouse buttons

so I can do it all with my right hand and keep my left free for attacks.

Extra mouse1: Jumps into the air and turns on Hover or Flight depending on what that hero has.

Extra mouse2: Turns off Hover/Flight lands you and starts up Ninja Run

Ctrl+X: reset binds for the rare instance when something breaks.

Shift+X: switches between normal and SoD mode verbosely

(i.e. it sends me a tell Now in Normal Mode - Now in SoD mode) if I want to turn it off... which is almost never.

Not sure what the default ones were though as mine are custom.

07K1tHnz_o.png

• 2 weeks later

Just an FYI  for Notepad++  

Yes the binoculars will open the Find/Replace options...  You do Not have to open All files,  If you select the 3rd tab "Find in Files"  

Find what :  Bind_Load_File

Replace with: bindloadfilesilent

Directory:  choose the parent folder that houses the AF AR BO  (also check the box for In all sub-folders)

then click the Replace in Files button and your done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

Awesome. I don't think I could play without SoD binds. For years I've just been putting System chat into its own tab so I only saw it when I needed to. With this I can clear the spam. The notepad++ search and replace files worked perfectly. 

Just for reference, in-game it ignores all underscores _ so bindloadfile and bind_load_file are exactly the same thing as far as it's concerned; however to Notepad++ they're entirely different when searching for the phrase.

4 hours ago, Alarion said:

Just for reference, in-game it ignores all underscores _ so bindloadfile and bind_load_file are exactly the same thing as far as it's concerned; however to Notepad++ they're entirely different when searching for the phrase.

When I'm feeling silly, sometimes I'll use b_i_n_d_l_o_a_d_f_i_l_e. 🙂

• 1 month later
  • 5 months later

Just for fun, try doing the search-and-replace on the SpeedOnDemand30.bas file itself. Then you won't need to massage the output files.

Nice find, thanks for this!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Not to confuse anyone, but this note is regarding code-changes to CityBinder:

I wanted to disable the constant self-tells whenever my Warshade changes between forms, so I searched for the text 'Changing to...' in 'speedondemand.lua' and removed each instance of the tell command where I found it in the file. This successfully deafened the form change self-tells. Be careful not to accidentally delete the opening quotation mark at each location or the program will not reopen upon saving the revised file. Also, if you do not have permission to edit the file, copy it to your desktop, make the changes, and copy the file back to the original location, providing administrative permission.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

• 2 weeks later
On 4/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, DoctorDitko said:

Just for fun, try doing the search-and-replace on the SpeedOnDemand30.bas file itself. Then you won't need to massage the output files.

Nice find, thanks for this!

How does that work? I tried editing it, then I ran SpeedOnDemand30.exe, but it still put the non-silent version in the binds.

Does the .bas file have to be recompiled into a new EXE or something? How would one do that?

Feh!

Yeah, it looks like Winders 10 needs an interpreter, won't run .bas files by default.

<rant>Weird. Winders will normally run anything it sees, with too many privileges...</rant>

Need to create a .tkn file, then compile .bas into .exe.

Let me look into it.

Sorry for the misinfo.

Edited by DoctorDitko

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

OK, here's the deal: (Tested on Winders 10. Unfortunately.)

0. Edit the .bas file as suggested above. (Search and replace, etc.)

NB: Life will be easier if you don't rename it. Make a backup copy if you're worried, but edit the original, it's easier!

1. Download Liberty BASIC at https://www.libertybasic.com/lb451setup.exe

2. Install it.

3. Run it.

4. From the File menu, Open the .bas file from wherever you put it. (What am I, your Mom? Clean up this directory, it's a mess!)

5. Select from the Run menu, "Create .TKN file."

NB: Normally, you would need to copy a skeleton BASIC executable here and rename it the same as your .tkn file, but Gnarly has done this for us.

(Unless you renamed things, then you are on your own! I warned ya!)

6. Run the .exe file, generate your binds.

7. Profit!

(Sorry for the previous incomplete instructions, I didn't realize Winders no longer had a BASIC interpreter.)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Edit: What the heck, I'll upload the two changed files, If you trust me (in which case I wonder, why?) and don't want to mess with installing Liberty BASIC, you can just overwrite the ones you have. Make a backup first, of course! This worked for me, but may screw up your binds, drink your last beer, or borrow your car without asking. YHBW!

But if you make your own changes to the source, you'll need Liberty BASIC to generate the .tkn (tokenized?) file.

SpeedOnDemand30.bas SpeedOnDemand30.tkn

Edited by DoctorDitko

• 2 weeks later