Bioelectrics: Lightning Can Do Anything!

Bioelectrics

spacer.png

Bioelectrics is a powerset that harnesses the power of electricity and the trope that Lightning Can Do Anything (warning, TVTropes link) to support and enhance your allies. Designed as a natural partner to Electric Blast (and also because Rehabilitating Circuit is too neat a power to keep locked to a Sentinel Ancillary, IMO), Biolectrics provide decent defense to allies against most damage types and a great deal of Endurance and Recovery support for allies.

This set is inspired by characters like Static (Static Shock), Black Lightning, The Flash, and Ando Masahashi (Heroes).

Unlike most other support sets, their powers are not targeted AoEs, but instead use the chain AoE. You can benefit from many of your own buffs provided you have other players for it to arc back to you from.

Power

Level

(Primary)

Level

(Secondary)

Description

bio1.png.c6b0c407c3dcdaed9849fb04d10ce95c.png Healing Circuit 1 1 Ranged (Chain), Ally Heal
bio2.png.ca3d985c3495284b69f07e4382cd3381.png Ionize 1 2 Ranged (Chain), Ally +DEF(Smash, Lethal, Energy, Melee), +Res(Energy)
Bio3.png.fda52b9e872733d431f3e686fd426d01.png Static Field 2 4 Toggle (PBAoE), Special Ally +END, +DEF(Energy, Negative, Ranged)
bio4.png.d8f7c5cd037f46476238941ec2add7c5.png Defibrillate 6 10 Ally Rez, +End, +Recharge
bio5.png.17a8a5372d5133804f46073b3f941e24.png Biofeedback 8 16 Ranged (Chain), Ally +Defense (All but Psionic), +Res (Disorient, Hold, Sleep, Immobilize, Fear, Confusion)
bio6.png.d916883705e123540f34fa38f38cead3.png Nerve Boost 12 20 Ranged (Chain), Ally +SPD, +Recharge, Heal over Time, +Res (Recharge and SPD debuffs)
bio7.png.bd68fa215c088a55f5f55f8e8d533995.png Overcharge 18 28 Ranged (Chain) Ally +End, +Recovery, Enemy -End, -Recovery
bio8.png.38f8e05d4fe6b9858ae5c2e7f7e423e4.png Psychoelectric Field 26 35 Toggle (PBAoE) Ally +Res(Energy, Negative, Psionic), +Def(Psionic)
bio9.png.8b9da488e862a246e12432b5fe7e786a.png Electrify 32 38 Ranged (Chain) Ally +DMG(Energy), Special

bio5.png.17a8a5372d5133804f46073b3f941e24.pngBiofeedback

Ranged (Chain), Ally +Defense (All but Psionic), +Res (Disorient, Hold, Sleep, Immobilize, Fear, Confusion)
You enhance the autonomous nervous systems of your allies, allowing them to better regulate their bodies' function and reflexes. This increases their resistance to most status effects as well as providing a small increase to Defense against all attacks except Psionic.
Set Categories: Defense
Enhancements: Defense, Endurance Cost, Range, Recharge

bio4.png.d8f7c5cd037f46476238941ec2add7c5.pngDefibrillate
Ally Rez, +End, +Recharge
You blast a fallen target with a jolt of electricity that kickstarts their body back into consciousness. This has a stimulating effect that provides a temporary boost to recharge rate and maximum Endurance.
Set Categories: Endurance Modification, Heal
Enhancements: Endurance Cost, Endurance Modification, Heal, Recharge

bio9.png.8b9da488e862a246e12432b5fe7e786a.pngElectrify
Ranged (Chain), Ally +DMG(Energy), Special
Electrify your allies' bodies, augmenting their attacks with an electric charge. Allies affected by this power have their attacks deal extra Energy damage and reduce their targets' Endurance.
Set Categories: Endurance Modification
Enhancements: Endurance Cost, Endurance Modification, Range, Recharge

bio1.png.c6b0c407c3dcdaed9849fb04d10ce95c.pngHealing Circuit
Ranged (Chain), Ally Heal
You can use your Rehabilitating Circuit to heal the wounds of your group.
Set Categories: Heal
Enhancements: Endurance Cost, Heal, Range, Recharge

bio2.png.ca3d985c3495284b69f07e4382cd3381.pngIonize
Ranged (Chain), Ally +DEF(Smash, Lethal, Energy, Melee), +Res(Energy)
You create a charged barrier around allies that repels physical and energy attacks.
Set Categories: Defense, Resist Damage
Enhancements: Defense, Endurance Cost, Range, Recharge, Resist Damage

bio6.png.d916883705e123540f34fa38f38cead3.pngNerve Boost
Ranged (Chain), Ally +SPD, +Recharge, Heal over Time, +Res (Recharge and SPD debuffs)
You enhance the conductivity of your allies' nervous system, allowing them to hit harder and faster and shrug off injury.
Set Categories: Heal, Running, Universal Travel
Enhancements: Endurance Cost, Heal, Range, Recharge, Run Speed

bio7.png.bd68fa215c088a55f5f55f8e8d533995.pngOvercharge
Ranged (Chain), Ally +End, +Recovery, Enemy -End, -Recovery
You overcharge the bodies of others, enhancing your aliies' maximum Endurance and Recovery, and draining enemies' Endurance and reducing their Recovery.

bio8.png.38f8e05d4fe6b9858ae5c2e7f7e423e4.pngPsychoelectric Field
Ranged (Chain), Ally +Res(Energy, Negative, Psionic), +Def(Psionic)
By stimulating the frontal cortex, you can make an ally more resistant to psychic attack and negative energy.
Set Categories: Defense, Resist Damage
Enhancements: Endurance Cost, Defense, Resist Damage, Range, Recharge

Bio3.png.fda52b9e872733d431f3e686fd426d01.pngStatic Field
Toggle (PBAoE), Special Ally +END, +DEF(Energy, Negative, Ranged)
You create a field of static charge around yourself that protects against energy attacks at all times. Additionally, while this power is active, you provide a burst of Endurance to allies withing range whenever you use an attack power, based on the endurance cost of the power.
Set Categories: Defense, Endurance Modification
Enhancements: Defense, Endurance Cost, Endurance Modification, Recharge

Edited by malonkey1
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, malonkey1 said:

Bioelectrics

spacer.png

Bioelectrics is a powerset that harnesses the power of electricity and the trope that Lightning Can Do Anything (warning, TVTropes link) to support and enhance your allies. Designed as a natural partner to Electric Blast (and also because Rehabilitating Circuit is too neat a power to keep locked to a Sentinel Ancillary, IMO), Biolectrics provide decent defense to allies against most damage types and a great deal of Endurance and Recovery support for allies.

I reacted sad because the icons are of slightly different colors...and because it's a great concept that likely will never happen in the game.

...and because I got caught in a TVTropes trap for a bit but I've developed a tolerance over the years.

bio5.png.17a8a5372d5133804f46073b3f941e24.pngBiofeedback

Ranged (Chain), Ally +Defense (All but Psionic), +Res (Disorient, Hold, Sleep, Immobilize, Fear, Confusion)
You enhance the autonomous nervous systems of your allies, allowing them to better regulate their bodies' function and reflexes. This increases their resistance to most status effects as well as providing a small increase to Defense against all attacks except Psionic.
Set Categories: Defense
Enhancements: Defense, Endurance Cost, Range, Recharge

I think some clarification on the ranges of the jumps would help too.  I know the current chain powers are rather short range.

bio4.png.d8f7c5cd037f46476238941ec2add7c5.pngDefibrillate
Ally Rez, +End, +Recharge
You blast a fallen target with a jolt of electricity that kickstarts their body back into consciousness. This has a stimulating effect that provides a temporary boost to recharge rate and maximum Endurance.
Set Categories: Endurance Modification, Heal
Enhancements: Endurance Cost, Endurance Modification, Heal, Recharge

For added hilarity, make it a short range rez (so you have to be over the body) and add a strong PBAoE damage pulse on cast.

bio9.png.8b9da488e862a246e12432b5fe7e786a.pngElectrify
Ranged (Chain), Ally +DMG(Energy), Special
Electrify your allies' bodies, augmenting their attacks with an electric charge. Allies affected by this power have their attacks deal extra Energy damage and reduce their targets' Endurance.

This is a mechanic I'm curious about because I had ideas for such a set or set alterations that worked similarly.  Like if Force Field had a power that basically added modifiable damage procs to their allies powers to boost its offensive support without straight +dmg.  I'd like to think that adding procs to ally powers via a granted power is feasible just like putting an IO damage proc in a power but I'm reminded of powers like Fiery Embrace that requires coding every attack to have fire damage.

That aside, I like the concept and hope it's a feasible option to add to support sets.

bio1.png.c6b0c407c3dcdaed9849fb04d10ce95c.pngHealing Circuit
Ranged (Chain), Ally Heal
You can use your Rehabilitating Circuit to heal the wounds of your group.
Set Categories: Heal
Enhancements: Endurance Cost, Heal, Range, Recharge

I'm actually not a fan of this power as I think I prefer a "bubbler" set with a rez rather than a full-kit healer+bubbler but I understand that it's a revision of an existing power so whatev...

Bio3.png.fda52b9e872733d431f3e686fd426d01.pngStatic Field
Toggle (PBAoE), Special Ally +END, +DEF(Energy, Negative, Ranged)
You create a field of static charge around yourself that protects against energy attacks at all times. Additionally, while this power is active, you provide a burst of Endurance to allies withing range whenever you use an attack power, based on the endurance cost of the power.
Set Categories: Defense, Endurance Modification
Enhancements: Defense, Endurance Cost, Endurance Modification, Recharge

And I think this is a really neat concept. Finding ways to burn endurance as a means of pumping it into allies sounds cool.  Just though of another idea: what if you could provide an effect to an ally that basically turns their END into an absorb shield so they take END damage instead of HP damage.  Coupled with this power pumping END into allies, it's kind of a different kind of healer.

1 hour ago, Leogunner said:

I reacted sad because the icons are of slightly different colors...and because it's a great concept that likely will never happen in the game....and because I got caught in a TVTropes trap for a bit but I've developed a tolerance over the years.

Yeah, I was wrestling with the color tools in GIMP and decided not to worry too much about it. I might fix them later.

I think some clarification on the ranges of the jumps would help too.  I know the current chain powers are rather short range.

It would probably maintain a fairly short range on the jumps. Don't want to make the support's job too easy. 😉

For added hilarity, make it a short range rez (so you have to be over the body) and add a strong PBAoE damage pulse on cast.

That'd be interesting, but this set isn't very directly offensively geared. It might be more appropriate in a more debuff-oriented set like Dark Miasma.

This is a mechanic I'm curious about because I had ideas for such a set or set alterations that worked similarly.  Like if Force Field had a power that basically added modifiable damage procs to their allies powers to boost its offensive support without straight +dmg.  I'd like to think that adding procs to ally powers via a granted power is feasible just like putting an IO damage proc in a power but I'm reminded of powers like Fiery Embrace that requires coding every attack to have fire damage.

Well, Envenomed Daggers from Martial Assault did something similar, so the tech is there for adding damage procs via powers. It would just need to be adapted to apply that affect to allies. (Don't ask me how hard that would be, I do not know.)

I'm actually not a fan of this power as I think I prefer a "bubbler" set with a rez rather than a full-kit healer+bubbler but I understand that it's a revision of an existing power so whatev...

Yeah, I really just wanted to come up with a set that could use Rehabilitating Circuit, because it's just such a unique power that I feel like it's a shame that literally only Sentinels can get it.

And I think this is a really neat concept. Finding ways to burn endurance as a means of pumping it into allies sounds cool.  Just though of another idea: what if you could provide an effect to an ally that basically turns their END into an absorb shield so they take END damage instead of HP damage.  Coupled with this power pumping END into allies, it's kind of a different kind of healer.

That's a really neat idea, but I don't know if that'd be feasible. First off, that might not be doable in the coding aspect, and then there's the issue that a player will only have 100 END (Okay, if you build balls-to-the-wall with set bonuses and accolades, you might get as high as ~140 based on what I could get together in Hero Builder), and that would mean damage would have to be converted down into a much smaller scale at the later levels fr anyone using such a power, and then there's the problem of getting hit with a nasty alpha strike and detoggling completely, right in range for your exposed fleshy body to get riggidy rekt, to use a technical term.

If somebody did manage to make such an effect and make it workable, though, that'd be absolutely bananas. In fact, I could honestly see a whole set based around a mechanic like that if it could be made to work and not be broken, where all the toggles and powers in it are free or low-cost as far as END, but you have to worry about keeping your END from puttering out so you don't get walloped.

Edited by malonkey1
  • Like 1

I love the concept, I have a few suggestions.

1) Less chains. I LOVE the chain heal concept. I think it'll look amazing in play. But the sheer quantity of chains you have in this set is going to wear out the uniqueness -very- fast.

2) Less AoE. Most support sets have -some- Single Target support. Everything except the rez in this set is AoE. Whether it's a chain or a PBAoE effect.

3) Maybe have a dedicated debuff or two that you can throw off that just hits a group of enemies, rather than your only Debuffs also being Buffs depending on who gets hit.

4) I also love the idea of Defibrillate creating a PBAoE damage zone. Maybe only 7-10 feet, but give it a knockback component and you'll create a really nifty effect. Kill the +Rech/End for it if you do that, though!

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 9:25 PM, Leogunner said:

I'm loving the idea of the rez having a PbAoE damage component as well. That would be completely unique to support sets. Something akin to Howling Twilight, but instead of the AoE disorient and -regen, have it do superior AoE damage and -recovery. 

• Like 1

@malonkey1 really enjoyed this set...and the comic panel to justify it...great work and great suggestions all...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I am all about this set. I think electricity got the short end of the stick when it came to not receiving a buff set (along with a pure energy control set, but that's for another time).

I do think some changes could be made:

- Static Field should do an +Absorb mechanic instead of the Defense. Can also rename it to "Static Aura" since there's already a Static Field power!

- Psychoelectric Field should be changed, but I'm not sure to what. Maybe it's because of the toggle aura that gives resistance to allies, or that it throws in a random defense to psychic? Or maybe just add a -recharge, -slow, -defense or disorient debuff (since shocking someone would make them stunned and easy to hit).

- Biofeedback should drop the defense buff (since you're already giving a lot of defense as it is) and add a +recharge mechanic. You could also add a +to hit, but that might be borderline OP.

- Remove the +recharge from nerve boost and add +dmg instead.

- Maybe drop the chain mechanic off some of the powers, like the initial defense power, nerve boost, . Just make it drop onto all the players like every other res shield.

• Like 1

I kinda feel like it would be interesting to play with polarities, sort of expanding on the mechanics introduced in the fight with Anti-Matter.  Like have one of the single-target skills grant a Positive aura, and another emits a Negative aura, and then have something happen when the two are close.  Or maybe instead of a AoE heal, have some kind of AoE buff that charges the targets, then hitting one with a single-target heal chains a smaller heal out to the others.  Maybe then have a single target enemy-targeting skill that saps a huge amount of endurance and distributes it to charged allies.  I feel like there is a lot of potential to theme this around leaving charges on your allies and then having other skills interact with said charges.