Scrapper Defense - How to get it? Suggestions!

Dester

Hi everyone,

I have a Scrapper / Fire build (yes I know, everyone's farmer of the month!).  What are the ways I can add defense to him?  

1. Leadership ---> Maneuvers Put in a few Defense enhancements?.

2.  Any other powers I can get?

3.  What are cheaper enhancements sets that have defense on them I can put in a few regular powers?

4.  Anything on the P2W vendor?

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the help!

Combat Jumping (Leaping) and Weave (Fighting) are two popular choices for defense.

You can also get the Steadfast res/def unique (+3% def to all, costs about 5 millions) and the Gladiator's Armor teleport protection/def (+3% def to all, costs about 10-12 millions). These two IOs can be slotted in any resistance power. Temperature Protection is a good fit, if you've got that one.

On the P2W vendor, there's the Kinetic Shield which gives a hefty amount of S/L defense when you have it toggled on. And then there's the Defensive Amplifier, which gives some (?) defense as a passive during its duration, but it gets pretty costly as you level up.

If you don't have Mids' Reborn, I suggest downloading it. I don't have this version yet so can't personally vouch for it, but I assume it works like previous versions.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/7645-mids-reborn-hero-designer/

When it's booted up, Window -> Set Bonus Finder. Scroll down the list on the left to find all the different Def and Defense bonuses. Start clicking on those, and you'll see the different sets that offer that kind of defense. You can see the percentage in a different scroll. I typically check each from high to low to see what might be practical.

You can also look at other people's posted builds to see the approaches they've taken to improve their defense.

In addition to Weave and Combat Jumping (or Hover), I usually take Maneuvers. It's not a big bump, and it costs a fair bit of endurance, but I think it's still worth it, and it gets me into Tactics, and it's team-friendly.

• Thanks 2

Thank you!  One thing.  With powers like Maneuvers, putting a Defense enhancement in it does almost nothing.  You are increasing a 2% def by 20% so it becomes 2.2%.  That seems totally like a waste to put slots in it.  Unless I am doing it wrong.

36 minutes ago, Dester said:

Thank you!  One thing.  With powers like Maneuvers, putting a Defense enhancement in it does almost nothing.  You are increasing a 2% def by 20% so it becomes 2.2%.  That seems totally like a waste to put slots in it.  Unless I am doing it wrong.

2% def + 20% = 2.4%, not 2.2%. But it's also a 2.28% defense base, and you might go with a level 50 IO at +25.5% = 2.86%, so 0.58% defense from the IO rather than the 0.2% you thought. However, that's not how you would actually slot Maneuvers in most end game builds. Usually you need all the Luck of the Gambler defense/+7.5% global recharge IOs as you can get, so that's your first slot. It costs a lot of endurance, so you probably want the LotG defense/endurance in the next slot. Those two slots only bring it up to 3% defense. And if you're a big spender, use enhancement boosters to take them to +5, and to 3.18% defense. Or if you have no endurance trouble, you could go with a straight LotG defense in that second slot, for 3.21% even level, or 3.42% at +5. You could even use a third slot, but you're starting to run into diminishing returns. These are all small numbers, but a good build is an accumulation of a lot of small numbers into much bigger numbers. Still, your initial conclusion of Maneuvers being a waste of slots is probably mostly true. I'd two slot it in most builds, maybe three, but that would probably be the extent of it. Slots are precious.

Edited by Werner

The defense amplifier offers 5 percent defense, but yeah it does get really pricey really quickly as you level up. Unless you just like wasting inf, it's not worth it at a certain point as you can spend those millions on proper IO sets and bonuses. I tend to pile on the amplifiers on a freshly made character when they are at their cheapest, load up 8 hours worth and get as much leveling done as possible. Once you hit your teens and up, the cost of the amplifiers balloons and they're just not worth it anymore.

The nice thing about weave, Combat jumping, maneuvers, etc.  Is they are defense to all.   

This makes sets with def holes in them a bit easier to shore up.  

A SR might not need combat jumping and maneuvers.  But an invul or eng aura might find it quite helpful.  

5 hours ago, Haijinx said:

A SR might not need combat jumping and maneuvers.  But an invul or eng aura might find it quite helpful.  

Recently remade my DM/SR, and maneuvers is completely unnecessary for getting to softcap, so I agree here. I still took Combat Jumping, but I take that on every single character because it's my favorite power in the game.