Guide to building Builds?

lolcritrockets

Are there any guides or posts out there that give some general tips and points for constructing a build? For when you can't find the exact build or guide for the one particular power set(s) that you're interested in.

Like, when is it better to put six slots into a power? One or two slots? What are some powers that should always/never be slotted? Should some ATs put more slots into their primary or secondary? When is a good time to take a travel power, or put it off?

Obviously not every build is going to be optimized completely, but sometimes we want to make a build for less conventional power selections! At the very least, maybe this could make more guides available for searching!

I don't think a single guide exists. Several factors go into a build, the most obvious one being your AT, and the biggest one being play style. 

You might be able to find "sample" builds from the AT-specific forums since they've narrowed down the topic to a point where you're all talking about the same power modifier. You'll see a lot of claims that theirs is the best build, but again, the best build is the one that works for you and your particular game play.

I also don't believe in Mids or Pines (primarily because I don't have access to it). From my limited experience, I build per level range: my 1-20 is different from my 20-30, and so on. The builds are dictated by available slots, limited powers, low stats, and slottable IOs- I don't even slot anything in before 27 or so. And now I'm still figuring out the incarnate stuff now. 

I usually hit the AT specific forums for questions or a peek at what other people are doing with their builds to see if mine can be improved. Some that I see I don't agree with, others are like a "dang, why didn't I think of that" or "I didn't know I could do that." The experimentation may be costly in terms of investing in IOs only to switch them out later, but I think it's part of the fun.

From the posted builds in the AT forums, one rule appears to be 'build as if you had unlimited inf and merits.' At least, that's the version you show off. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I supply builds to most of the people I play with, because I really enjoy it. I'm by no means the best, but here are the basic rules I follow for my builds.

• Get Mids' Reborn
  • Start by picking what you want to build for. Everything else will flow from this. For example:
    • Soft capped Smashing/Lethal defense
    • Perma Hasten
    • Capped resistance to X damage type
  • Try and get at least 2.0 end/sec net recovery. Net recovery is, with all the toggles you'd use in a fight on, recovery - endurance drain
    • Ideally this should be without click or incarnate powers active
  • Slot Miracle: +Recovery and Numina's Convalescence: +Regen/+Recovery in Health
  • Don't fear picking useless powers to unlock something good
    • Most notable example of this is Boxing/Kick to get Tough and Weave in the Fighting pool
      • Tough is a great place to drop the 2 +3% DEF(All) IOs from Steadfast Protection and Gladiator's Armor
      • Weave is a requirement for any AT that doesn't get an armor set to hit soft capped DEF.
  • Thanks 1

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

1 hour ago, Derek Icelord said:

I supply builds to most of the people I play with, because I really enjoy it. I'm by no means the best, but here are the basic rules I follow for my builds.

• Get Mids' Reborn
  • Start by picking what you want to build for. Everything else will flow from this. For example:
    • Soft capped Smashing/Lethal defense
    • Perma Hasten
    • Capped resistance to X damage type
  • Try and get at least 2.0 end/sec net recovery. Net recovery is, with all the toggles you'd use in a fight on, recovery - endurance drain
    • Ideally this should be without click or incarnate powers active
  • Slot Miracle: +Recovery and Numina's Convalescence: +Regen/+Recovery in Health
  • Don't fear picking useless powers to unlock something good
    • Most notable example of this is Boxing/Kick to get Tough and Weave in the Fighting pool
      • Tough is a great place to drop the 2 +3% DEF(All) IOs from Steadfast Protection and Gladiator's Armor
      • Weave is a requirement for any AT that doesn't get an armor set to hit soft capped DEF.

Would love to see what you can come up with as far as a Stone/TW Tanker goes. I already have a plan but would love to compare it to someone who knows what they are doing a lot more than me! 🙂