New computer question

Nemeroff

Greetings All,

I started playing CoH early in 2005 and went all the way to the end.

My current PC was never meant to play games; won't run tequila.

I hear newer gaming PCs won't run "older games," but can I run CoH in 2019 on a brand new PC?

Edited by Nemeroff

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

What are your specs?  Or are you looking to get something new that will work? 

These days the biggest obstacle is Intel's onboard graphics.  So long as you have an okay video card the rest is just a matter of putting things in the right places.  But if your current machine doesn't have enough memory it's not going to be able to handle it.

For example, I can run it on my little cheapy HP Stream but it won't play for long until it crashes.

But yeah, throw us some more info and we'll see what we can do.

• Like 1

Current machine: Windows 7, 64 bit, integrated onboard GMA 3000, processor 2.4 Ghz. (yay!).  But after the tequila DL all I get is the theme music and solid black screen.

What I was looking at: Windows 10, Nvidia GTX 1660, 3.4 Ghz quad core, 16GB RAM, 250SSD 1TB HDD.  Plus it's a good "back to school" sale.  Basically I would hate to invest in something good but overpowered and obsolete for CoH.

Edited by Nemeroff

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Nemeroff, I too am looking for a new desktop in order to play this game on something better than minimum graphics settings. Whet I have done it look at each individual component and do a search to discover if it will work with the OpenGL thing since that seems to be what gets in the way of playing this on modern computers. I mean I did just a basic search like "will Nvidia GTX 1660 work with OpenGL" "will Intel 3.4 quad core work with OpenGL", those two things will really tell you if it will or not (I think....not going to be surprised if someone with greater technical know-how comes in here and tells you that is a stupid suggestion....but that's what I did and the computer Ive got my eye one looks like it will.) 

Intel Quad Core i7 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, Windows 10, GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Overclocked

My total overkill dream

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nemeroff said:

Current machine: Windows 7, 64 bit, integrated onboard GMA 3000, processor 2.4 Ghz. (yay!).  But after the tequila DL all I get is the theme music and solid black screen.

What I was looking at: Windows 10, Nvidia GTX 1660, 3.4 Ghz quad core, 16GB RAM, 250SSD 1TB HDD.  Plus it's a good "back to school" sale.  Basically I would hate to invest in something good but overpowered and obsolete for CoH.

Current machine is a little hard-luck.  Intel GMA 4000 is a bare-minimum for the game with the new Intel HD graphics (Skylake and newer) being fairly improved. GMA 3000 and older isn't going to work well.  There's a shim to try with the GMA 3000, but it's not for the faint of heart

The new machine should be able to run circles around the older one.  It should do 60fps in most situations (as long as all the settings aren't maximum.)

• Like 1

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

• Retired Game Master

The minimum and recommended specs for Going Rogue are still applicable to Homecoming.  Pretty much any computer you buy now that has any kind of discrete video card will meet those requirements comfortably, and even a lot of integrated graphics chips will do admirably well with it.

If you're interested in giving building your own desktop a shot, the "Entry Level AMD Gaming Build" on PCPartsPicker for approx. US$520 is a good place to start for a computer that would play CoH well without going overboard on the budget.

Edited by GM Capocollo
  • Like 1

If you're looking to just flat-out BUY a computer from someplace like Dell.
Click on Desktop Computers and All-In-One PCs --> For Home
Then just check "dedicated graphics card".

Pretty much everything on there will be OVERKILL for the game.

Keep in mind that the DIY computer generally looks cheaper.
Factor in your time and labor and what that's worth to you.
ALSO, note that those prices generally DO NOT factor in the OPERATING SYSTEM.
Also, a DIY machine doesn't come with any sort of warranty.
So if something's screwed up, you get to deal with every individual piece's Customer Service.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Mansome said:

What kind of specs would a person need to run the game at 60fps max resolution during a Hami/Rikti Raid?

An IBM Power9 supercomputer.

The only way you'll get 60 FPS during a Hamidon or Rikti mothership raid is if the player caps in The Hive, The Abyss, and RWZ are lowered back down to 50 as they were before sunset.

As Apparition states, CoH is a funky game.
I have a friend at NVIDIA who did SLI testing for me years back, after the graphical upgrades from Paragon.
Basically SLI gave NOTHING to the game.

Okay I'm currently running:

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (their Long Term Service variant)
CPU: i7 970 (6 cores, 3.2Ghz)
Memory: 24GB (DDR3)
GPU: RTX 2060
Drive: Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Running 1920x1080 in a mostly empty Cimerora, I pull down 56-60 FPS.
In Windowed mode, it would pull about 45-50 FPS.

But, by extension, when I'm running Windowed at 6480x3840 and I'm getting 37-41 FPS.

NewDesktopSetup.jpg

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

As Apparition states, CoH is a funky game.
I have a friend at NVIDIA who did SLI testing for me years back, after the graphical upgrades from Paragon.
Basically SLI gave NOTHING to the game.

Okay I'm currently running:

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (their Long Term Service variant)
CPU: i7 970 (6 cores, 3.2Ghz)
Memory: 24GB (DDR3)
GPU: RTX 2060
Drive: Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Running 1920x1080 in a mostly empty Cimerora, I pull down 56-60 FPS.
In Windowed mode, it would pull about 45-50 FPS.

But, by extension, when I'm running Windowed at 6480x3840 and I'm getting 37-41 FPS.

NewDesktopSetup.jpg

What are your graphics settings?

I'm running 3840*2160 and not getting anything close to that. 

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Pretty nice.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

Looks like my settings are a little more aggressive then yours. Each to their own.

Here's to looking forward to OGL 4.6/dx 12 being implemented. Mostly for the improvements to render speed.

I get if wishes were fishes the world would be a much smellier place.

Like converting x32 to x64 a whole lot easier said then done. Oh Well.

I tried numerous things, thanks to the knowledge & advice of the above posts, but ...,"skip to the end," I'm getting a new computer.

Me waiting to play CoX again...

40 minutes ago, Nemeroff said:

I tried numerous things, thanks to the knowledge & advice of the above posts, but ...,"skip to the end," I'm getting a new computer.

Me waiting to play CoX again...

So...what're ya gettin?

Windows 10.  i7 Dell, Gaming PC. Nvidia GTX 1660. 16GB RAM. 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD. Comes with WiFi.

HP 23.8" Monitor, speakers built in.

Haven't bought a gaming PC since 2005 and that WAS for CoH.  It's like, "The more things change the more they stay the same."

Open gl is api and newer windows and most new gpu card will run older games like coh fine. I'm running windows 10 fast ring right now and other then updating one file to run windows 64 my test rig works fine with coh. As a pc tech for a long time with a gaming machine you want a balance between cpu power and gpu power. you dont want to spend money for a top dollar cpu only to leave you buying a gimped gpu card. On pre built there can be two fatal flaws.  One they dont use a standard size case. if they dont or it a very small itx/micro case then your stuck with the small video cards that dont have good cooling. The other issue is the size of the power supply in the pre builts. Most are cheap and low wattage. The new amd ryzen for gaming pc is not bad now for there price and performance. any of the newer inte l5 are also fine. with intel try and not use one of there cut down b/h chipset mb. Your gaming pc ram now should be 16g or larger. the days of using 8g for a gaming pc is over as these newer games get bigger and use more system ram. most new pc mb have 4 slots for ram. try and use one set of sticks to fill two slots to leave the other two slots as spares in case one slot goes bad. as ssd prices fall your better off using one tb as the main drive and then have a slower 4g or larger as back up in the rig. on the older hard drives for retail vendors like wb and seagate are slowly trying to go end of life with them. if you can wait then wait for when intel stop dropping older refresh of there cpu and drop a new cpu with there newer cores. intel has a bad thing where they change the pin counts on there mb so people with 2-3 month old pc cant use the newer cpu on there newer pc. The last thing I post about is how loud a pc can be if you dont build for sound on a pc.  A lot of newer power supply are digital and have fans that wont come on intl needed the same for some of the asus gpu. the gpu are made to not sound like a jet airliner taking off. the last point is make sure that any pc you buy you make sure the cpu has a good cooler on it.  the better the cooler then under load the cpu will stay cold and stay away from it max temp. the higher you run parts near there max temp you shorten there life. also your rig can lock up or become unstable. if you do fine a good deal on a pre built that only has intel or base amd gpu you can till you have the funds use your older gpu in the newer pc. if not there are good deals on ebay for older gpu as long as the card was not used for mining.