Contemplating a fresh install

Ukase

So, years ago, when the game shut down, I'd asked myself if there were any reason to keep CoH on my computer. Eventually, I deleted it. 

Some time later, Codewalker (possibly with the help of others) came up with Paragon Chat and Tequila was the launcher used for that. So, I ended up reinstalling the game - but for whatever reason, the installation wasn't neat and tidy, creating a CoH folder, it just all dumped into my documents folder, of all places. 

I'm able to play the game, I have the issue 23 version of Vidiotmaps - but since I've already got all the exploration badges on my badge toon, I'm not sure a fresh install is worth the time it would take - until I read about various tools used to aid in the creating new characters on Justin server for testing. I don't think they'll work because I don't have any folders from downloading Paragon Chat. (and that's been years now, it may have been a link to something else that downloaded the game for paragon chat to work.) 

I even have old copies of CoH, CoV and Going Rogue. I suspect using them would be pointless, and I'd have to just use the HC manifest and wait until it's done. 

Obviously, download times would vary from system to system, and with internet speeds being different - but can someone give me a ball-park guess as to how long it would take? An hour? 6 hours? 3 days? 

Thanks. 

Early on it was taking most of a day (likely being slammed) via the Tequila launcher. Almost nothing from before will work when it comes to assets. Even the new Mids makes the old stuff (not the saved files) pointless.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

The Issue 24 files from Tequila is the heaviest part of the client install.  The Homecoming Client downloads changed piggs for Issue 25/26 and keeps them in a separate folder for the game, leaving the main files for Issue 24 untouched.  (It does ADD files and folders, but it doesn't change the Issue 24 files.)  The biggest portion of the download you did already with Paragon Chat.  If you've ran Tequila since April, it has some or all of Homecoming's 32 bit, 64 bit (the two new and improved ones) as well as the legacy client (the original one from the Service Launch), Homecoming Beta clients (all three of the prior flavors), Titan Icon, and Paragon Chat. 

Why the Paragon Chat folders aren't in the Tequila installation folder is because it's been in AppData since version 1.0. (Open File Explorer, in the Address bar, type "%APPDATA%" and you should see ParagonChat in there.)  You can move Tequila's folder out of Documents (remember, not Program Files or Program Files (x32) folders) wherever you like.  Next time you run Paragon Chat, it'll show an error, but clicking on Settings and picking the new Tequila folder location will get it going again.

As for badges: Paragon Chat's Data is saved in AppData and is local to your PC.  If the AppData folder is deleted (or you uninstall Paragon Chat), the Badge progress goes with it (along with any bases made, mods, screenshots and .costume files.)  The chat server for Paragon Chat saves NOTHING, it's just XMPP Authorization and Chat, nothing more.

Homecoming is server side, so deleting Tequila and starting over means losing any locally saved mods, screenshots and .costume files.  Your character progress, ACTIVE costumes (in any of your toon's costume slots), badge progress, and inventory is preserved. 

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, and some of this might be TMI, but I hope this helps answer your question.

Edited by Tahquitz

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

I just bought a new (used)PC at a local computer show. Mine was messing up bad and about 12-15 years old. It took roughly 1 hr ish to reinstall and play again. I have DSL if that helps you gauge it. I just let it go and did some chores in the meantime. No longer that 2 hrs though.