Modest Proposal: Bring Blaster ATOs in line with Scrapper ATOs

TheAdjustor

If you look at the Blaster ATO's  They are mostly in line with Scrapper ATOs. With two important exceptions,

1 The Scrapper Set has both a minor and incredibly powerful proc. The minor proc is a global that boosts overall damage (I know pretty damn good for a minor), the incredibly good proc when placed properly can massively boost the damage output of melee damage set.  Blasters on the flip side have a purple damage proc, (nice but a real pain to properly leverage) and a proc that provides a very minor level of status protection.

2. Both Scrapper and Blaster ATOs provide 2 superior defense bonuses, a typed/positional and a positional/typed.

Ignoring the obvious disparity in the procs, what's even worse is the scrapper set gets it's typed/positional bonus at 3 pieces slotted while the blaster gets it at 6.

My suggestion move the defiant barrage EN/Ranged defense bonus to position 3 instead of position 6.

The nice thing about this is it would have absolutely zero effect on anyone that was happy with the way their blaster works now, on the plus side it would allow more flexibility in blaster builds especially when it came to how to place the status protection proc.

• Thanks 1

If you look at a lot of ATOs they're not as game changing.

The Stalker, Scrapper and Kheldian ATOs are huge game changers in my opinion, both are either a  allow the AT to deal way more damage than they could without them (I will also point out the minor scrapper ATO in the increased chance to crit is a global like the Stalker 'chance for build up to instantly recharge' where it doesn't matter which attack it's placed in, the whole AT gets that buff whether you're using the power or not). The controller ones are equally disappointing because just like blaster one is a basic damage proc I mean woo...hardly exciting. Tank and brute are middle of the road, while they certainly help the AT, they're not as huge as the Stalker or Scrapper ones.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DR_Mechano said:

If you look at a lot of ATOs they're not as game changing.

The Stalker, Scrapper and Kheldian ATOs are huge game changers in my opinion, both are either a  allow the AT to deal way more damage than they could without them (I will also point out the minor scrapper ATO in the increased chance to crit is a global like the Stalker 'chance for build up to instantly recharge' where it doesn't matter which attack it's placed in, the whole AT gets that buff whether you're using the power or not). The controller ones are equally disappointing because just like blaster one is a basic damage proc I mean woo...hardly exciting. Tank and brute are middle of the road, while they certainly help the AT, they're not as huge as the Stalker or Scrapper ones.

It really wouldn't be out of line to ask that the blaster Status protection proc be a global fixed percentage as well but it's hardly that important. In truth I would much rather see a global damage proc for that the way scrappers get the global crit, but that would likely be bad for people that enjoy the current mechanics.

I was very underwhelmed by teh 2nd Blaster ATO proc. Considering the AT as a whole, is the only thing in game that can still attack while mezzed, it isn't as useful. Sure, mez prot is still great, but I have never noticed it going over Mag2 prot for me, which makes it pretty shitty. As DrM said, some of the other sets are just flat out amazing, or at least somewhat noticeable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zenex said:

Didn't blasters already get two damage buffs and a hp buff and a hp cap increase close to base tanker hp. 

I don't recall blasters getting a damage buff.  The first big change they got was a decrease in the damage bonus their inherent provided from up to 400% to around 21% (admittedly you had to be at 5% health to get that) and the ability to use their t1 , t2 primary attacks, as well as their t1 secondary while mezzed. The latest big revision was the sustain and nuke changes.  Not sure how the nuke changes affected damage. I understand it was supposed to have normalized them.

Either way blasters currently have to be in melee to do peak damage and their damage in general is usually between that of a brute, and a scrapper. Mostly closer to a brute, but with less armor than a scrapper.

Edited by TheAdjustor

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

It definitely affects damage in a real play sense since blasters have far less END issues 

The snipe changes improve ST damage 

I played lots and lots of blasters on live and the only times I had end issues were when a nuke crashed my end bar.

I don't recall the snipe changes making it to live. Either way that only affects sets that have snipes. Not all do.

Edited by TheAdjustor