Spring Attack seems unimpressive.

dmaker

I ended up taking spring attack at level 49 as I couldn't think of anything else. This is a SS/WP build. My 4 ancillary are Leaping (CJ, SJ), Fighting (Boxing, Tough, Weave), Speed (Hasten), and Leadership (Tactics, Assault, Maneuvers) I thought spring attack sounded kind of cool, so took it and four slotted it with Superior Avalanche (iirc).  So I do get some set bonuses, but in practice I was very underwhelmed by this power. It's damage feels weak and the timer is very long. I get the long timer, since it's pretty much an opening attack.

I would take something like Acrobatics if that power took sets, but it doesn't, so I can't even stuff a LotG in there. I'm happy to respec out Spring Attack if someone has a better suggestion. 

Perhaps Cross Punch? Does it take sets? Maybe Flurry? Or is Spring Attack worth keeping just for the set bonuses?

Edit: Just did a quick search and it looks like I could put 4 Ragnarok in Cross Punch.  Would gain some recovery, accuracy and Fire res....

Edited by dmaker

Spring Attack is a pseudo-pet. It will mainly be modified by the AT's damage base the most, in this case, a Brute's .6-something will lag far behind than it would for say a scrapper's 1.125. So yes, for brutes, this is underwhelming.

However, I absolutely think that cross punch with kick would really help you I'd highly recommend respecing out to get cross punch and then use kick instead of boxing and then you get another decent AOE.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

Why?

Because you can at least mule a Force Feedback +Rech proc in Kick.
That, at least, can occasionally be useful, as a smidge of Recharge is almost always useful.
Tossing a Damage or a Stun proc into a single slot mule is generally pointless.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

48 minutes ago, 3333053222 said:

Spring Attack is a pseudo-pet. It will mainly be modified by the AT's damage base the most, in this case, a Brute's .6-something will lag far behind than it would for say a scrapper's 1.125. So yes, for brutes, this is underwhelming.

However, I absolutely think that cross punch with kick would really help you I'd highly recommend respecing out to get cross punch and then use kick instead of boxing and then you get another decent AOE.

Excellent advice, everyone. Thank you.

Spring Attack is a decent power.
The main problem is, the Recharge on it is just ridiculously long compared to similar powers.

Recharge:
Foot Stomp: 20s

Lightning Rod: 90s
Shield Charge: 90s
Spring Attack: 120s

And yeah, the Damage on the power is weak too.

Unaugmented Damage
Foot Stomp: 59
Lightning Rod: 133

Shield Charge: 100
Spring Attack: 62

So Foot Stomp is comparable damage, but it's up 6x as often.

• Thanks 1

I would actually like Spring Attack if the damage aligned more with the characteristics of the power. It looks like it's meant to be a sidewalk crushing, dramatic, drop from the sky combat opener. Sounds great. Looks cool in all the movies, etc.  

Keep the cool down, but maybe 2.5 - 3 x the damage.

Edited by dmaker

Dumb question time: Do you actually use kick or brawl? I always move those off my bar since I never use them. I don't really run out of active powers in my attack chain. It always seemed not worthwhile to fire off a "lesser" power like Brawl when Punch or Haymaker are ready to go. 

4 hours ago, 3333053222 said:

Agreed here. Even on a Scrapper I found Spring Attack to be mediocre at best. Granted this was on an Elec/SD, so those two nukes in comparison didn't help my perception of Spring Attack. Still, I imagine it's outright terrible on other ATs unless that character is just starved for some AoE.

3 hours ago, dmaker said:

I would actually like Spring Attack if the damage aligned more with the characteristics of the power. It looks like it's meant to be a sidewalk crushing, dramatic, drop from the sky combat opener. Sounds great. Looks cool in all the movies, etc.  

Keep the cool down, but maybe 2.5 - 3 x the damage.

My guess is this was done so it doesn't compete with attacks like Lightning Rod and Shield Charge. I get that, but it turns Spring Attack into a very underwhelming power in my opinion.

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Like 1

Now I really, really  want Spring Attack to be that super hero landing that you see in the movies. You know, land with a sidewalk cracking thud, one knee down, one fist down, looking forward. I could just run around all day doing that 🙂

Edited by dmaker
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, dmaker said:

Dumb question time: Do you actually use kick or brawl? I always move those off my bar since I never use them. I don't really run out of active powers in my attack chain. It always seemed not worthwhile to fire off a "lesser" power like Brawl when Punch or Haymaker are ready to go. 

I usually move them off my bar as well.  As I don't slot them.
For builds, I will normally drop an FF: +Rech into Kick.  So that MIGHT make it worthwhile to keep on a tray someplace.
But, once I have more than my initial 2 attacks, I'll move brawl totally off the tray.

33 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

but it turns Spring Attack into a very underwhelming power in my opinion.

Translation from "Trying to be nice about it."

It turns Spring Attack into a trap of a power selection.

• Like 2

As another option aside from Acrobatics or Cross Punch, i would suggest Vengance from the leadership pool.  With this power you could free up the extra 3 slots you spent on Spring Attack and slot it as a mule with the LoTG global recharge proc.  At the same time you now have a buff in case any of your teammates dies.

As a note, because of its long Recharge, Spring Attack should proc 90% on damage procs. Thus, it gets to hit pretty decent damage for a low-damage AT... I think Controllers are about 300-350 damage from it, which is decent for a mini-nuke that you get out of a pool power. More for someone like a /Kin Controller, who can max out its base damage and still leave room for a lot of procs in it. I wouldn't be surprised if a /Kin could squeeze out about 500 damage from it after a Fulcrum Shift.

For its base stats it's pretty poor, but it works very well with damage procs. For example, a Dark/Kin Controller can hit Heart of Darkness and Spring Attack every fight... for 800-900 damage with AoE Stun and Knockdown, on about a 30 second recharge. For a Controller, that's serious AoE damage.

It's one of those powers that can be leveraged to become decent, and extra-leveraged to become quite good, in a few combinations. Most builds won't benefit from it, but that's fine, for being a pool power... it still has decent enough stats that it can be made worthwhile for builds that are either starved for AoE damage... or, conversely, want to add it to an AoE burst to really finish off mobs. For example, an Elec/Shield Stalker hitting with 3 teleport AoEs to start every fight can wipe minions out of the way before concentrating on bosses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, dmaker said:

I have boxing on my SS/Will brute 4-slotted with kinetic combat for the 3.75% smash/lethal def. Generally I use it as a filler attack to pop something that's at a sliver, rather than burning a longer cooldown/animation attack on them. And it does occasionally stun minions and lt's, which is nice. I'm not sure the whole point of the "fatigued" debuff is as it doesn't really seem to do anything (if you take cross punch).

It's a fun, distance-spanning aoe with knockdown and a good place to slot a -rech proc. Surer, it's not as sexy as actual powerset attacks, but few things are.

as a mitigation, boosting tool, though, it's pretty awesome, especially for something like wp,  Bio, or Regen where splitting an alpha can be extremely useful. Stand outside of aggro radius, BOOM! half the spawn flops, and you have plenty of heal time between attack waves. or enough time to smash a good chunk of the spawn with a REAL Aoe without ever letting them attack.

It's not a nuke. It's silly to expect one from a pool power.

Edited by Frostweaver

13 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

It's not a nuke. It's silly to expect one from a pool power.

I didn't know that. 

I do find that Crosspunch does as much damage as Haymaker with 5 Superior Avalanche slotted, so pretty happy with Crosspunch.

Re:Fatigued...yeah, don't get that. It shows up every time I use Kick (which almost always out of pure boredom), but I have no idea what it does. 

Edited by dmaker
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later

I use it on cooldown on my Elec/Fire farming brute, but would also consider using it on other characters too.

It does okay AoE damage, not amazing I agree, but the damage is okay. However I use it mostly for the Force Feedback recharge proc. It seems to have a very high proc chance (I am not sure if it is 100%, but I have never seen it not proc) and with a recharge of about 24 seconds it does okay DPS.