New Content Suggestion

Dev7on

I would like to have a new villain zone with new mission content. The hero side always get love but never for the villains. Or you guys can try to pick up where Paragon Studios left off when the game shut down. I remember that Scirocco and Ice Mistral became heroes, add enemies and missions on Khalisti Wharf, have us introduce Battalion that Paragon Studios were working on, and introduce new incarnate powers like Genesis, Mind, Vitae, and Omega. Also when the servers become legit can you guys let Andy Belford aka @Zwillnger be a Dev again? Or maybe Matt "Positron" Miller or @Hitstreak become a Dev again? I don't know if you guys heard about this but, back in May Zwill came on to the Torchbearer server chilling in Pocket D talking to the players saying "He misses this game and he doesn't mind being a Dev again." One last note I also want to have new stuff on AE. I a HUGE fan of AE and would like to see more powersets, maps or even add cutscenes to make it more interesting. Thanks.

Edited by Dev7on

I think that until the legal work with NCSoft is concluded there won't be any huge amount of work on the game... I think there's only two people working on it at the moment. If/When the leagl stuff is sorted (in our favour I hope) then maybe the team will expand and some more content can be added.

I wonder how difficult it would be to provide players with the ability to make missions that seem more integrated into the game, rather than stuck in the AE. I mean, the content is there (obviously you should have some vetting procedure - I wouldn't want to be sent to a farm map by a contact).

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

The difficulty, IMO, is partly the mechanics of making it possible and partly (as I've said before) that both Sturgeon's Law and Dunning-Kruger are in full effect when it comes to player-created content.

(tl;dr - most of the submissions, even the non-troll/non-farm ones, would be utter #%$@.)

Edited by Megajoule
  • Like 1

I don't see the issue with allowing AE missions to have contacts and doors outside the AE building.  Heck, provide an /AE command so I can search for them without going into AE.

As far as most of the content being low quality .... leave it to me to pick my own missions, I'll decide for myself what is bad and what isn't.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, krj12 said:

I don't see the issue with allowing AE missions to have contacts and doors outside the AE building.  

I suggested back on Live that, If there is anything I admire with AE, is the ability to have complete control over how you progress the game. But the others, having heroes confined to a building; rewards substantially greater; manipulating difficulty to a far extent.

if I had enough influence to suggest exactly what you said, I believe AE should have to require players ‘placing’ contacts within the beautiful city instead of having to walk 20 yards in a claustrophobic and repetitive environment. IMO.

for the villain side, i’d Say just copy and paste Atlas, tint it red, and put it off as a universe where Lord Recluse won, and heroes migrated to rogue islands. Allowing heroes to experience the seclusion villains have been experiencing since its release. Travel time is horrific on Red , I wish I could hang out under Lord Recluse’s tribute.

im just talking off my ass don’t mind me

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

• 4 weeks later
On 10/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, Lost Ninja said:

I think that until the legal work with NCSoft is concluded there won't be any huge amount of work on the game... I think there's only two people working on it at the moment. If/When the leagl stuff is sorted (in our favour I hope) then maybe the team will expand and some more content can be added.

I kinda disagree with you. City of Heroes relies on content updates. If City of Heroes doesn't have any new content it will eventually became boring and stale. Players will also stop playing the game due to lack of new content. 

It always kind of bugged me that in Paragon City, there are clearly villain groups operating, yet our villain characters couldn't really be part of that.  I understand that the devs didn't want there to be unrestricted PvP, but you could implement some sort of "in hiding" cover story to explain why villains were going about openly.  Still, I've always wanted to be able to be one of the villains that made heroes enter that awful blue cave to come get me!

You know, I'd settle for just getting some spawn points and level 40-50 mobs added on the streets of Khallisti Wharf at first. Its too gorgeous a location to have NOTHING there except a few trainers. It doesn't even need to be new types of mobs; anything with a level 40-50 variant could be put on the streets there (ex. put PPD units on the streets of both sides that con blue to heroes and red to villains). It might also be a chance for some other enemy groups that didn't see much play from the i24 material outside of specific story arcs.

For example, per the patch notes the Unified People's Army enemy group actually goes up to level 54 as do the Awakened and Praetorian Devouring Earth. So have the UPA planning terrorist attacks against Paragon City in Khallisti Wharf in retaliation for the death of their leader (with the covert help of Arachnos) while the level 40-54 PPD opposes them. Have one of the idiots in the UPA unleash the Praetorian Devouring Earth with the thinking of "lets see how they feel losing their world" and you've got a reason to put them there too.

Likewise, in lieu of specific Incarnate-level content, it might be worth expanding on the "Post-Praetorian War" theme of the factions by integrating re-purposed Praetorian mobs into them. Arachnos already has their own version of the battle droids in their mobs and the Council has/had war walkers. So just take it a little further by adding in some of the other Praetorian units to the existing groups and recoloring them to match that faction's assets (ex. after the New Praetorians arcs, the Council rebuilds by equipping its troops with more IDF gear... mechanics-wise, take all the non-psychic IDF units and recolor the red to the council's dull green and take the white down to a medium grey., then add some Nictus mobs to it... viola upgraded Council forces).

Anyway, that's my thinking on new content... fill in Kallisti Wharf piece by piece starting with street mobs so its not so dead and then maybe having new story arcs like those added with i26p3 set there going forward until you've got a Faultline sized story arc (about four contacts worth with three-ish missions each) going on there for each side.

I'll also follow up by adding that while the Battalion may have been the original dev plans for the future, that doesn't have to be the future for Homecoming unless that's where the current devs also want to take it. There was significant Praetorian fatigue in 2012 because everything since Going Rogue had focused on it, but seven years is a long time to rest up and if using the existing assets is the easiest way to get new content going, then I'm fine with the Praetorian story being not quite done (i.e. continue the New Praetorian and Mr. G story arc fallout into level 40-50 content).

12 hours ago, Dev7on said:

I kinda disagree with you. City of Heroes relies on content updates. If City of Heroes doesn't have any new content it will eventually became boring and stale. Players will also stop playing the game due to lack of new content. 

Where did I say that?

There are practically no devs at the moment and until the legal position is clarified it's unlikely that many people will put their hard work into something that could be taken away from them by an outside source that they have zero control over. If/when the legal position becomes clear especially if the position is either stable or positive for the community I expect both more devs working on code and more of the talented people this community has working on direct content (story etc).

I'd totally put my hard work in!

. . . just saying.  I'm passionate enough about this game that even with the spectre of unpredictable shut down still looming that I've been prepared to step up to contribute.  The communication barrier is what's blocking me, personally.

And I suspect I am not the only one.

But, yeah.  The legal grey area and potential for shut down is probably scaring some folks away.  More than that, though, it seems like the existing Devs on this server are being VERY choosy about who they bring in.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

I'd totally put my hard work in!

. . . just saying.  I'm passionate enough about this game that even with the spectre of unpredictable shut down still looming that I've been prepared to step up to contribute.  The communication barrier is what's blocking me, personally.

And I suspect I am not the only one.

But, yeah.  The legal grey area and potential for shut down is probably scaring some folks away.  More than that, though, it seems like the existing Devs on this server are being VERY choosy about who they bring in.

Same to be honest, if I had a skill that was worthwhile them using... 😕

But I know of many who are waiting to see what happens on the legal front before they plan on even getting back into the game never mind creating stuff for it (and most of those wouldn't be doing in game stuff but fan sites).