Breaking the limits on Praetorian origins

JetMalakai

All throughout Paragon City, we have characters who are not originally from Earth. We have aliens of every color and type. We have extradimensional beings. Occasionally you'll even see someone's WoW character summoned by a hapless mage and turned loose on the world.

So why does this never happen in Praetoria? Who's to say some demon wasn't summoned by a mageling in Nova Praetoria and, after freaking the poor kid out, decide to help the locals in their resistance against the horrible Tyrant? Who's to say a space cop didn't chase his prey to Praetoria and, after seeing him massacred by the Devouring Earth, decide to spend some time helping out the local government put down the ungrateful Resistance? It just seems like an avenue that's never explored, and one hell of a waste.

Edited by JetMalakai
  • Like 1

I need to rewrite the origin of my botz/ff MM anyways to line it up for the RP SG I'm joining anyways.....

I think I'm going to take that idea and run with it. Maybe alien that arrives to Night Ward, crossed over to First Ward and got hooked by the sunlight that they have never seen before.

21 hours ago, JetMalakai said:

All throughout Paragon City, we have characters who are not originally from Earth. We have aliens of every color and type. We have extradimensional beings. Occasionally you'll even see someone's WoW character summoned by a hapless mage and turned loose on the world.

So why does this never happen in Praetoria? Who's to say some demon wasn't summoned by a mageling in Nova Praetoria and, after freaking the poor kid out, decide to help the locals in their resistance against the horrible Tyrant? Who's to say a space cop didn't chase his prey to Praetoria and, after seeing him massacred by the Devouring Earth, decide to spend some time helping out the local government put down the ungrateful Resistance? It just seems like an avenue that's never explored, and one hell of a waste.

What if, and follow me here, your character was originally from Primal Earth and summoned to Praetoria?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Back on Live I had a few of my VERY non-human, VERY not-of-this-Earth "bird-things" who were Praetorians...

(My Elysion were a non-canon species of Rularuu. Faathim's creatures.)

The idea was that when the boundaries around the Shard, their home dimension, started to weaken and they found themselves able to go 'elsewhere', that wasn't in any way limited to Primal Earth alone. They and their human survivors could have ended up anywhere in the multiverse... and did.

Humorously, that wasn't even limited to the City game world! My tabletop 13th Age GM was also a City player, and ran with a few of my birds. When we started the tabletop game? He pulled my Elysion into his version of the Empire. There are a flight of them in the city of Horizon, in service to the Archmage. Proof positive that those creatures could have ended up ANYWHERE. XD

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

... I was about to type a small essay about how, with Praetoria, one of the main draws is the society that is sufficiently different from ours, and so you'd naturally be more drawn to play a character who's been significantly shaped by this world yadda yadda words.
But you know what, you made a good point, and I've made the first Praetorian version of one of my characters.

Primal Earth(-ish) version, Celaenian (see icon), is an eldritch thing from a parallel dimension that was recently summoned, outfitted with prosthetics for survival, and unleashed on the world to "show them all", only it/she doesn't know what it means and just wants to figure out the world as she wanders the Rogue Isles. So far, she's made very good progress in learning English, but has made some very interesting interpretations of what's going on.
Praetorian version, name to be decided, is the same eldritch thing, but brought 15 years ago on Earth in an attempt to find an answer to Hamidon in a parallel dimension, raised by a mad scientist that at least had the good senses of teaching her human values and wholesome stuff. She physically adapted better to her new world too since she was brought in as a toddler abomination instead of as a fully developed adult. Now she's an eager Loyalist only passing for human because she stuffed her tentacled self in a ridiculous suit.
If the two met... the latter would be very embarrassed and confused by the former. The former would be happy not to be alone anymore, and try and convince her, in broken English, to gather together more units of that ultimate power called "money".

So thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1

Part-time table flipper

Global: Skathi the Huntress

17 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Goodness, ChairKicker!  I don't think I've seen you in-game yet, unless I know you by another name.  That/Those concept(s) sound)s( positively delightful!  Are you on Everlasting?  Have you joined the OOC/RP Global Channels?

I'm very flattered by the attention! I'm half on Reunion (French being my first language and still holding on to the hope I'll find more French speakers to play with), half on Everlasting. Global handle is the same as my first toon: Skathi the Huntress. 
I have dozens of alts, most of which I play regularly, and none of them have reached level 30 yet.
So, yeah, we might have come across each other at some point, and I might very have done so with different characters.
... help me.

Part-time table flipper

Global: Skathi the Huntress

I think my 1st Praetorian was actually an older version of another character from Primal.

But overall, I agree with this statement:

On 10/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, ChairKicker said:

... I was about to type a small essay about how, with Praetoria, one of the main draws is the society that is sufficiently different from ours, and so you'd naturally be more drawn to play a character who's been significantly shaped by this world yadda yadda words.

For me, if I'm making a Praetorian, I tend to make part of their backstory conform to the setting rather than the other way around.  At some point, Praetoria was as wild and varied as Primal but events just divided the timelines.  So my deamon-werewolf guy ended up just being under the boot and control of the Praetors and he respected their strength and agreed to work with them.  The part that conforms to Praetoria is he's been under observation and service for many years.  He's a Loyalist, btw.

I don't think it takes too much to make outworld origins work.  The simplest way is putting a bit of "history" to it.

• Thanks 1

• Retired Game Master

... my first Praetorian on live was a demon summoned long before Hamidon ran amok, and who fit into Praetorian society quite nicely until the resistance brought an irresistible chance to 'quietly' cause mischief.

But to more sincerely answer the question, with the society of Praetoria, socially aberrant behavior is just less common in general.

• Like 3

My only Praetorian in the few weeks I have been back in CoH, is a hard-bitten pulp detective who encountered a Gypsy curse (what with Gypsy curses being all the rage back in the day) while working a case for some dame who sauntered into his office with big eyes, long legs and a sob story... the thing is, he is a character out of an old black and white movie, who was somehow pulled into reality... although he is still in black and white.

• Like 2