What goes well with Thugs?

Khales

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but Thugs/Traps is an amazing combo. Slot your enforcers for defense and combined with your Force Field Generator you'll have over 35% defense on all your pets. Acid Mortar destroys the enemies defense and resistance, poison trap is a wide area hold, puking, and -1000% regen, its a very respectable AV killer. Not to mention you get the Detonator instead of Time Bomb which is awesome. Overall an excellent combo, both technically speaking and thematically for Thugs.

Pretty much what title says. Looking for recommendations on which Secondary to take, and why.

What secondary goes well with Thugs?

Yes.

Ok, long answer.  Thugs are not classed as a Tier 1 pet for nothing.  They have a lot of tools in of themselves to make them good.  Good damage in the T1 pets (especially when you get the arsonist, just keep him away from melee),  T2 pets that buff you and your other pets (if you have both out the effects stack), as well as steady DPS, and finally your T3 Brusier that can take a beating (and give it out), just avoid giving him the 1st upgrade (Equip Thugs) as this gives him Hurl and can cause him to stay at range indefinitely.  Then you have Gang War...basically it's a way to clog up the battlefield and create some anarchy. 

What you are doing with your secondary is figuring how you want to help them do their thing.  I played a lot of /Thugs ever since they came out.  Heck I was iffy on MM's as a whole till then.  My most fun character was a Thugs/Traps.  Heck I didn't even slot her out that well and I could solo AV's most of the time (AOE sucks).  Acid Morter just wreaks defenses (put a -resist Io and then start melting), Poison Trap could make even Wolverine's healing factor pause.  FFG stacks with the manueavers of your Enforcers (and you when you take it) to help mezz protect everyone and capp DEF.  Triage beacon isn't a heal but more for long fights that keeps everyone topped up, it just doesn't deal well with burst damage. 

I also got a /Poison to 50.  A little more squishy then my /Traps but she could also point to one thing and say DIE.  Basically, this set makes everything you hunt weaker than you.  And the synergy with Noxious Gas and your Brusier is great.  Load him up with that and point him to a group and watch them puke or hit him with Nerf weapons.

/Sonic is one I didn't quite get to 50, but was having great success with.  The shields give +RES so while it doesn't have synergy with your Enforcer buffs you don't get hit as hard.  Disruption Field also had good synergy with your brusier yet again to send him in and weaken everyone's RES.

/Storm is just insanity.  Ragdoll physics everywhere.  Enemies can't hit you if they are not standing up.  Steamy mist provides +DEF and Hurricane can at least keep enemies from approaching your Thugs and Enforcers.

/FF is great because nothing can hit you.  But I didn't take it very far because the whole powerset is BORING (IMO) once you set up your shields the hard part is over.

As I said earlier, Thugs work with everything.  It just comes down to your playstyle and how much chaos you want to cause!

Thugs/Nature works ok? Or is /Nature is at its best with melee focused minions, while Thugs/ tends to stay at range til the Bruiser comes out?

(I'm building from a name - managed to snag "Urban Jungle" and these two sets seemed appropriate.)

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but Thugs/Traps is an amazing combo. Slot your enforcers for defense and combined with your Force Field Generator you'll have over 35% defense on all your pets. Acid Mortar destroys the enemies defense and resistance, poison trap is a wide area hold, puking, and -1000% regen, its a very respectable AV killer. Not to mention you get the Detonator instead of Time Bomb which is awesome. Overall an excellent combo, both technically speaking and thematically for Thugs.

I had a Thugs/Traps MM back in the day (my second-ever MM, actually), and the main issue with it is lack of healing.  The best you can get is a Regeneration boost from Triage Beacon (which, to be fair, you get very early on), which doesn't always help in sustained fights.

I had a Thugs/Traps MM back in the day (my second-ever MM, actually), and the main issue with it is lack of healing.  The best you can get is a Regeneration boost from Triage Beacon (which, to be fair, you get very early on), which doesn't always help in sustained fights.

My Thugs/Traps is still in her teens, but for me, I've just been playing "Tankermind" style.  Pets on Defensive, they spring into action when I run into plant a device (or just glock somebody if my Traps are still Recharging).  The damage is spread out, so it's rarely too bad.

when determining what goes well with what you have to look at the primaries strength.

with thugs, their strength is in defense. the t1 thugs have 0 resistances. the t2 and boss thugs have average resistances. they get a hefty buff from maneuvers from the t2 bosses, and this is what you want to build upon.

for this reason, any secondary that builds upon the defense granted by maneuvers is going to be superior than any that builds upon resists - unless you are a masochist who enjoys replacing pets every pack.

I always recommend that a thugs/traps mm grab aid other by level 8. once you have your ffg you will be pretty free to cast aid other (mostly on your suicidal arsonist). traps has little need for hasten and hell my original traps guide on the old forums didn't even have the fitness pool until I got so much global recharge from sets it was becoming an issue.

thugs/traps real weakness is mobility. you all gotta be together - all the time and under that bubble. in my opinion, any /traps mm really needs to have team teleport and likely medicine pool and an aoe immob power. this really limits your customization options with pool powers.

I'm curious about /Nature as well (for thematic reasons.)  It seems like the debuffs and extra resist could work well.  Healing is weird for MMs, but it seems like between Defense Enhs, -ToHit Auras, Defense Auras, -DMG Auras, Resist Enhs and Resist from Wild Growth, your thugs would be pretty safe and effective.

My Thugs/Nature is 20 now, with the 2 summons and equip from the primary, all the available powers from the secondary, plus Maneuvers. Power slotting is hot garbage from drops as I wait for L22. With the exception of his suicidal arsonist, I’ve found Nature to do a quite respectable job of keeping his dorks alive. Once I can get “real” enhancements in place I expect that to improve significantly.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

This is a total threadjack.

The subject of this post always trips up my little brain.  I know that it's about MM secondaries for Thugs, but every time it comes up, my mind jumps to other answers

What goes well with Thugs?  Funny hats!

What goes well with Thugs?  Low IQ and a poor vocabulary!

What goes well with Thugs?  A nice Chianti and some fava beans!

That's all.  End Threadjack...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

This is a total threadjack.

The subject of this post always trips up my little brain.  I know that it's about MM secondaries for Thugs, but every time it comes up, my mind jumps to other answers

What goes well with Thugs?  Funny hats!

What goes well with Thugs?  Low IQ and a poor vocabulary!

What goes well with Thugs?  A nice Chianti and some fava beans!

That's all.  End Threadjack...

What goes well with thugs?

B****es and H**s man, B****es and H**s.

I'm out.