Remove travel powers in pvp

Illy

1 minute ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

This might be the only thing that could get me to PvP.  I’m thinking like the Atari game Combat where the only difference between two players is the color of their triplane and their inherent maneuvering ability.

Nah, that's boring AF and completely removes player skill from the equation.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Actually, what I’m advocating is that player skill would be the ONLY factor in the equation.  Every player has the same movement, the same attacks, the same defenses.  If you are better at using those than your opponent, you have the advantage.   I’d consider pvp then but understand I’d lose all the time because my twitch reflexes are awful.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

19 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Actually, what I’m advocating is that player skill would be the ONLY factor in the equation.  Every player has the same movement, the same attacks, the same defenses.  If you are better at using those than your opponent, you have the advantage.   I’d consider pvp then but understand I’d lose all the time because my twitch reflexes are awful.

Perhaps I misspoke - it might not remove skill entirely, but it does lower the skill cap significantly and that's never a good idea. Issue 13 saw sweeping changes to the PvP system in an attempt to homogenize builds and make the skill cap lower and it nearly killed this game's PvP community. There's less diversity in builds and if anything the learning curve is now steeper than it used to be because many of your powers don't function anything like they do in PvE.

8 minutes ago, macskull said:

Perhaps I misspoke - it might not remove skill entirely, but it does lower the skill cap significantly and that's never a good idea. Issue 13 saw sweeping changes to the PvP system in an attempt to homogenize builds and make the skill cap lower and it nearly killed this game's PvP community. There's less diversity in builds and if anything the learning curve is now steeper than it used to be because many of your powers don't function anything like they do in PvE.

I'm not clear how that would lower the skill cap at all?  If you take out specialized builds and resources to put behind your pvp toon, aren't you then reduced to true player versus player skill as opposed to rock v. scissors or rich v. poor?  Are you saying that the knowledge of the build and the resources to create it are a significant/primary part of the skill?  I can understand the former, but IOs and inf are simple to acquire.  I'm honestly asking.

Note:  I am not advocating that pure equality actually happen.  Like I said, it's the only way I would participate in PvP.  That doesn't make it the right way or even the way that most people would want.  Just my opinion.

Who run Bartertown?

4 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm not clear how that would lower the skill cap at all?  If you take out specialized builds and resources to put behind your pvp toon, aren't you then reduced to true player versus player skill as opposed to rock v. scissors or rich v. poor?  Are you saying that the knowledge of the build and the resources to create it are a significant/primary part of the skill?  I can understand the former, but IOs and inf are simple to acquire.  I'm honestly asking.

Note:  I am not advocating that pure equality actually happen.  Like I said, it's the only way I would participate in PvP.  That doesn't make it the right way or even the way that most people would want.  Just my opinion.

I agree that if every build were exactly identical player skill would be the only thing that would matter - but in a system like that there isn't a lot of skill required to master the game. Everything works exactly the same way and once you've figured it out, you've gotten as good as you're ever going to. MMO PvP (at least in a dueling situation) is inherently rock/paper/scissors but if the system allows for a wider range of player skill I can beat paper with rock, for example, instead of it being a foregone conclusion that paper always wins in that situation.

Not a PvPer, but I can see how part of the skill in this game is how you build your character.  I THINK that translates to PvP but I could be mistaken.  Yeah rich vs poor will come into play but which powers you take and how many slots each get are all part of the 'puzzle'.  I only kinda have that figured out for PvE, not sure I will ever wrap my head around it for PvP.  

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

This might be the only thing that could get me to PvP.  I’m thinking like the Atari game Combat where the only difference between two players is the color of their triplane and their inherent maneuvering ability.

I have to admit it could be an interesting competition 😄  I'm kind of intrigued by it myself

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

People left this game in droves when they added travel power suppression...and you want travel powers removed? No. If you want that kind of PvP, they have that available in the arena as an option. Find you a few folks who want to PvP that way and you guys can have your own private matches without travel powers. I stopped PvPing after they had nerfed placate and I still support PvPer's right to PvP unhinged from nerfs. Nerfing powers in PvP is what made me quit, and I was PvPing with some of the best back then...I lived and breathed PvP, adding a nerf like this would cause PvP zones to turn in to wastelands....more so than what they already are.

As far as the trash talk...you can't stop that. Psychological warfare in PvP is a real thing, people are going to say things to frustrate you. Best you can do when you enter a zone is turn off chat. You either have the thick skin to PvP or you do not. Having a thick skin is one of the many requirements for PvP. It can be a blast if you roll with the punches and learn to build for PvP and learn to play as a PvPer. It can be a nightmare for somebody like yourself...but it doesn't have to be a nightmare if you have the patience and willingness to learn. It completely up to you. Calling for a nerf is not the answer.

• Like 2