Remove travel powers in pvp

Illy

I have never seen such cancerous pvp in any game, and I have played a lot. The horrific balance power-balance is forgivable, as I only have a nano second to experience it as I meet my opponent in a mid-air jump for the first time in a minute as we both bounce around like idiots. 

I'd love to have some pitched battles that focus far more on power sets and team dynamic, rather than this AIDS-fest of sniping and jumping around. 

• Sad 1

Is this a serious post? I can't imagine that this is a serious post.

The movement speed is what makes this game's PvP better than just about any other MMO's.

EDIT: I guess if you really wanted to you could disable travel powers in an arena match but good luck getting someone to fight you under those rules.

Edited by macskull
  • Thanks 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

PvP is already by far the least popular portion of the game... I doubt 5% of the population ever engages in it.  That being the case, why not alienate 95% of that 5%?  Sound like a great idea to me.  In case the sarcasm is missed, /jranger.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Illy said:

I have never seen such cancerous pvp in any game, and I have played a lot. The horrific balance power-balance is forgivable, as I only have a nano second to experience it as I meet my opponent in a mid-air jump for the first time in a minute as we both bounce around like idiots. 

I'd love to have some pitched battles that focus far more on power sets and team dynamic, rather than this AIDS-fest of sniping and jumping around. 

So I suppose I'll sit here and make a more serious reply to the OP:

It looks like you started a thread back in August about the lack of challenging content in this game and in one of those posts you said (and I'm quoting here) "I've never done anything in City of Heroes I actually got stuck on and had to think about." Looks like you've now found that thing you're getting stuck on and have to think about but instead of doing that you're coming to the forums and asking for a massive nerf.

You wanted challenging content and you got it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I really don't PvP and even I'll take a hard "No" to this as it changes the dynamic of the gameplay overall. You've basically turned it into a powers based cage match.

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

7 hours ago, macskull said:

So I suppose I'll sit here and make a more serious reply to the OP:

It looks like you started a thread back in August about the lack of challenging content in this game and in one of those posts you said (and I'm quoting here) "I've never done anything in City of Heroes I actually got stuck on and had to think about." Looks like you've now found that thing you're getting stuck on and have to think about but instead of doing that you're coming to the forums and asking for a massive nerf.

You wanted challenging content and you got it.

Yeah... not even slightly. I'm actually asking for pvp to be more difficult, not less. There's nothing difficult about sitting at range and alpha-striking people in a group with snipes. 

33 minutes ago, Illy said:

Yeah... not even slightly. I'm actually asking for pvp to be more difficult, not less. There's nothing difficult about sitting at range and alpha-striking people in a group with snipes. 

Try the "sit at range and snipe people" in a coordinated PvP environment and let me know how that goes for you. If you're having luck with that strategy you might want to consider fighting against competent players. Hell, come out to Pocket D on Indomitable sometime. We do pick-up 8v8 matches every Wednesday and Saturday at 9 Eastern.

Edited by macskull

Why are all pvp threads remove this, nerf this?*  I forsee a time in the future when City PVP will be a bunch of people running around (without sprint) using brawl on each other!

* Apart from the add this ability to my favourite power so I have a huge advantage over everyone else posts

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 minute ago, boggo2300 said:

Why are all pvp threads remove this, nerf this?*  I forsee a time in the future when City PVP will be a bunch of people running around (without sprint) using brawl on each other!

* Apart from the add this ability to my favourite power so I have a huge advantage over everyone else posts

I mean, that was pretty much the direction things started to head with the Issue 13 PvP changes. The competitive PvP scene in this game never really recovered from that, though we're lucky enough now where there are several active competitive teams that do unofficial matches most nights during the week.

4 minutes ago, macskull said:

I mean, that was pretty much the direction things started to head with the Issue 13 PvP changes. The competitive PvP scene in this game never really recovered from that, though we're lucky enough now where there are several active competitive teams that do unofficial matches most nights during the week.

It could actually be interesting (maybe with travel powers) not as an always thing but the Great Brawl Down,  an event where the only allowable attack is brawl, slotted however you like 😄

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

28 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

I forsee a time in the future when a bunch of people running around using brawl on each other!

Back in the day people actually threw brawl in some rotations, because it had a 33% toggle drop rate. Worked great when fighting disruption (tanks) by knocking their armor and mez protection off.

1 hour ago, boggo2300 said:

The irony being that everyone could have 1000 hp, only be able to use brawl that does 100 hp and has 80 foot range and no resists or procs, and people would still lose and complain that PvP is unfair and needs fixing.

21 hours ago, macskull said:

20 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

The irony being that everyone could have 1000 hp, only be able to use brawl that does 100 hp and has 80 foot range and no resists or procs, and people would still lose and complain that PvP is unfair and needs fixing.

So basically we can use these threads as a detector for those who had their butts handed to them in PVP?

• Like 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

28 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

Walk and brawl ... The new PvP ... Coming to a zone near you ... Soon (tm)

would help with the people complaining how quick a pvp match is!   if it takes you half an hour to get to your opponent, then you have to whittle them down with brawl...

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

2 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

So basically we can use these threads as a detector for those who had their butts handed to them in PVP?

As much a cliche as "learn to play" is, in many cases like this it's an appropriate answer.

The Movement powers in PvP is probably one of the FEW things that actually works while simultaneously setting this MMO apart from others. There is already a narrow range of viable PvP builds... I don't see how eliminating movement widens the field on that. Against an intelligent foe, movement is the best defense, even when they have autolock on.

Of all the things to complain about in PvP, this is the worst. No matter how janky, silly, or completely spazztic the playstyle is for a PvP game the solution is nearly NEVER to eliminate movement abilities intended or unintended. That's why Tribes 2 was fun. That's where Team Fortress 2 got rocket jumping and sticky-bomb jumping. If you don't like people speeding in from nowhere and alpha striking you, online PvP isn't your thing. Once you adapt to it, it can be thrilling... and once you learn to work with a team the rough edges pretty much evaporate. It's basically like Sportsball or 40k. The first several times you watch or play, nothing makes sense, even if someone sits down and explains it. If you stick with it, you discover what you need to time your plays and compete.

There is NUANCE in what seems like a cheesy and abusive system. That's the problem with real time PvP in ALL games. It takes time for your brain to readjust to it. Fighting games, FPS, MOBAS, and MMO PvP all have that in common.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 8:31 PM, boggo2300 said:

This might be the only thing that could get me to PvP.  I’m thinking like the Atari game Combat where the only difference between two players is the color of their triplane and their inherent maneuvering ability.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?