Telekinesis???

VV

So, what is up with Telekinesis? Does anyone have any strategies for useful strategies with it? I have tried the obvious of pushing things into a wall or corner, but that is suuuuuuuper problematic. The push is radially out from me, the caster, so gathering them is tricky. When they run into something, they tend to slide around or along it. 

It seems like it might be awesome, though. Looking it Mid's, it seems to have no ToHit roll, is that correct? It does not take Acc enhancements. Is it an auto-hit power? Also, the duration cannot be extended, so that seems to indicate it just lasts until you run out of endurance. Is that correct?

And, if I am reading this right, when Domination up, it is a SIX (6) freaking Mag Hold! Is that right? It just seems like with all that, it could be really powerful, if I knew the right way to use it. Anyone have any expert advice.

I typically have a spare power to take at the end of my build usually reserved for an emergency Mind power I don't have the slotting for like TK or Mass Hypnosis.  I just use TK on those prolonged boss fights, all that stacking mag from your controls and TK really is effective, you're a one person hold machine.  I've got a 50+5 End Redux IO in it but you'll still want to make sure your endurance is in good order if you plan to leave it toggled for long.  

It's only meant to complement your other controls in certain situations.  

Telekinesis is indeed what you describe: a Mag 6 (in Dom mode) auto-hit hold. It is technically an AoE centered on your target, and can hit up to 5 targets.

Functionally, the Repel works exactly the same as the Repel in Force Field's Force Bubble T9 power. And unfortunately it's about as useful. The only difference vs Force Bubble is Force Bubble creates a sphere of effect around the caster, and TK creates a sphere of effect around your target (but enemies are still repelled from you, the caster).

A Mag 6 auto hit hold would obviously be the best power in the game if not for some set backs. In TK's case it's mainly the recharge (60 seconds) and the fact that Repel is more of a negative than a positive in the majority of cases.

You can somewhat slow the rate of repel by:

• Fighting higher level enemies (Repel is affacted by level differences; it's about 50% slower vs +4 enemies)
  • Hovering above enemies (since some of the repel effect is slowed by the enemy being pushed straight down into the ground)

It does have its occasional use as a guaranteed hit. But there just aren't a lot of mobs out there with sky high defenses. If there were more enemies with Super Reflexes where you could detoggle their armors it would be more useful. It can be used, though, as a near-auto detoggle of Circle of Thorns enemies who cast Dispersion Bubbles, since the Mag 6 will auto hit and overpower their mezz protection. Of course, plain old normal Dominate also cuts through their Dispersion Bubble, so its not that huge a lift.

20 hours ago, mbre2006 said:

In pve environment this power is useless as hell. They should reconfigure it to work like Blaster's Ki push. 

Idk ki push, but, if that does dmg i agree. TK should be a dmg power.. Or a nerfed version of psi melee mass levitate or something. Since the target cap was reduced its just useless IMO. Or increase the target cap back to what it was, remove the repel, add minor(or moderate for doms) smashing dmg, and, make it a immob solves containment issues(for trollers) and makes the power useful. 

Edited by Sarkastik Observer

So, coincidentally, I was on a team with a guy who uses Telekinesis. He mostly used it in those "oops overaggroed" situations. But, I did see him use it once to pin a bunch of guys in a corner. Then we just went to town and beat them down. It's a good thing we weren't actually playing heroes... He also used it once with the old "drop the enemies over the cliff" trick. THAT was hilarious.

18 hours ago, Mezmera said:

I just use TK on those prolonged boss fights, all that stacking mag from your controls and TK really is effective, you're a one person hold machine.

I DO like this idea. But, is it necessary for that? It seems like with Dominate, you could stack up pretty high mag pretty quickly, anyway.  Is this incorrect?

14 hours ago, mbre2006 said:

In pve environment this power is useless as hell. They should reconfigure it to work like Blaster's Ki push. 

Well, maybe, but to be honest, I like having a few garbage powers in the powersets. It gives me something that is easy to skip so I can afford the Pool powers I want. I don't mind skipping TK, I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something awesome about it and would have to respec again later (I have done that).

Edited by VV

Well dropping TK onto an AV then spamming your hold gets them held real quick then you can lay off your holds a little and go to town with your damage.  For instance the fight in the Tin Mage task force with Director 11, you get him held quick and he stays there pretty well if you maintain some holds along with your TK.  

It's not some super duper great power some of my mind doms don't have it some do.  There's a baseline of powers you want and then you can sprinkle in a few gadget powers you may want to use for situational purposes.  Generally I always take Mesmerize, Dominate, Confuse, Mass Confusion and one more AoE control of either Total Domination (I like harder controls) or Terrify.  Meaning I'll skip Levitate, Terrify, Mass Hypnosis and TK.  But if I have an extra power open at the end with minimal slots to devote to it I'd take either TK or Mass Hypno.  

One of the best uses of TK is on the Croatao content and Katie Hannon Task Force when you are being swarmed by witches running Hurricane. Hurricane has a brutal -ToHit component that stacks from multiple casters and can make it really hard to land a hit. TK is auto hit and will detoggle them.

It's definitely an edge case, but at least it's something.

In Mind Control, Telekinesis won't accept set IOs.  Mids showed me that.

For someone desperately seeking Sus...  I mean "set bonuses," that was a problem.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

• 2 months later

TK is a finesse power.  It took me a long time practicing in what is now Echo: Dark Astoria pushing entire mobs of DE along the streets to get the hang of it.  I used to gather up 20-30 DE and push them into a corner for practice, something that can't be done with the five target maximum.  There are some mechanics that become more apparent in larger mobs than are apparent in smaller ones.

1) From the anchor is a small cone of effect that points towards the user.

2) Once they are affected by TK they have the a similar, but smaller cone.  IE, the cone is infectious. When you have a mob of 30 you can see the effect more prominently

3) The repel effect pushes the effected away from the anchor in a linear fashion, not from the user of TK.  This can cause the affected targets to be pushed from TK if the user moves and isn't careful.

4) The effect of TK continues on the non-anchor affected for a brief period

5) Crescent motions from side to side while keeping up with the repel will clump your targets, the brief period of effect while they are out of the field works to your benefit.

TK was hit by the nerf hammer hard, limiting it to the 5 target maximum, because before that it was the only hold power in the game with no cap.  I can only assume the Devs thought that it was too hard to use to worry about, and the MC population was still relatively small due to years of people shying away from it in the beginning because it was fundamentally broken.  Once they gave it as part of the ancillary/epic powers it became clear that the lack of a cap was a problem.  It was quite easy for a good tank to lead mobs into a tk field, and then run off to get more.  TK would rapidly override the aggro of the tank, allowing them to herd up an entire map.  Multiple users of TK removed the need for a secondary hold (and therefore damage) on a boss anchor, and meant that while arresting, there was less risk that the anchor would die.