Radiation Primary for Controller/Doms

Solarverse

35 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I dont wish to get into too much details here, but would love to see a Rad Contolling set.

What would it offer that recoloring an existing set couldn't accomplish?  Would such a set be more about debuffing than hard control side?  How would you envision this set?

2 hours ago, biostem said:

What would it offer that recoloring an existing set couldn't accomplish?  Would such a set be more about debuffing than hard control side?  How would you envision this set?

That would be a difficult question to answer, since if coupled with /Rad, would make it OP as all get out.

However, I was thinking something along the lines of what /Rad does for Blasters if a hold is applied in combination with the Immob. I forget the name of the debuff off hand.

It would also be interesting if the set was given two single target holds, for locking down bosses instantly instead of having to wait for the ST hold to recharge. Make one hold have twice the recharge time as the primary hold.

I think these two ideas could give the set a unique feel.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1

Just now, Solarverse said:

That would be a difficult question to answer, since if coupled with /Rad, would make it OP as all get out.

However, I was thinking something along the lines of what /Rad does for Blasters if a hold is applied in combination with the Immob. I forget the name of the debuff off hand.

It would also be interesting if the set was given two single target holds, for locking down bosses instantly instead of having to wait to the ST hold to recharge. Make one hold have twice the recharge time as the primary hold.

I think these two ideas could give the set a unique feel.

Regarding your last point, ice blast can actually do that.  As for your earlier ones, are you talking about the "irradiated" debuff from rad melee, or maybe the delayed debuff from time manipulation?

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Regarding your last point, ice blast can actually do that.  As for your earlier ones, are you talking about the "irradiated" debuff from rad melee, or maybe the delayed debuff from time manipulation?

Irradiated debuff. I couldn't remember the name of it, thank you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Regarding your last point, ice blast can actually do that. 

Yeah, my Ice Blaster utilizes this method often, it doesn't last long though since it is on a Blaster. I also use this method using a Grav/Time Troller, which was what gave me the idea.

• Like 2

As a Ice Blast/Rad Controller sorry Blaster, I love the extra control I get with the two ST Holds. Not sure how much use it would be in a control set though, with the way content is played these days being able stack ST holds isn't going to get far. Needs to have something more of a hook to make it worthwhile. Ice Blast has damage, while I love the control it's the damage that makes it shine.

Personally I think a Sonic Control would be more useful, as it would stack the res debuffs of sonic with the def debuffs of rad. But it would depend on the "hook" or whatever makes a Rad Control special.

7 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

As a Ice Blast/Rad Controller sorry Blaster, I love the extra control I get with the two ST Holds. Not sure how much use it would be in a control set though, with the way content is played these days being able stack ST holds isn't going to get far. Needs to have something more of a hook to make it worthwhile. Ice Blast has damage, while I love the control it's the damage that makes it shine.

Personally I think a Sonic Control would be more useful, as it would stack the res debuffs of sonic with the def debuffs of rad. But it would depend on the "hook" or whatever makes a Rad Control special.

Stackable Debuffs are tricky. Stacking the same type of debuff with your secondary could be even more so. This was the reason I shied away from debuffs and leaned more towards Irradiated and an extra ST Hold. It would give the set a unique and helpful feel.

You could also add a targeted AoE where it causes mobs to randomly stop and throw up, much like toxic gas. That would give the set even more of a unique feel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

You could also add a targeted AoE where it causes mobs to randomly stop and throw up, much like toxic gas. That would give the set even more of a unique feel.

I like the idea of that but it would have to work with containment. In fact you could probably reuse that idea as the "hook" for the set, a stacking debuff that when it's high enough it causes vomiting (which is a containment). The poison cloud could then work like a fast application of the sickness debuff so rather than irradiated have a radiation sickness (or just Sick(ness)!!!)., Stacking damage from the set causes a debuff that when full causes the mob to vomit uncontrollably, when the mob is Sick they have a chance to spread the illness to other mobs.

Sick itself being -regen -tohit -recovery -recharge.

Sounds more like a CoV set but I bet it could be spun to a heroic set too... 😄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lost Ninja said:

I like the idea of that but it would have to work with containment. In fact you could probably reuse that idea as the "hook" for the set, a stacking debuff that when it's high enough it causes vomiting (which is a containment). The poison cloud could then work like a fast application of the sickness debuff so rather than irradiated have a radiation sickness (or just Sick(ness)!!!)., Stacking damage from the set causes a debuff that when full causes the mob to vomit uncontrollably, when the mob is Sick they have a chance to spread the illness to other mobs.

Sick itself being -regen -tohit -recovery -recharge.

Sounds more like a CoV set but I bet it could be spun to a heroic set too... 😄

Now we're talkin!  😄

• Like 2

One thing that I find lacking in the game is a confuse that actually turns the enemy into a "pet". Playing my Dark/Dark controller, I noticed that the ST confuse is often kind of dubious given all the -ToHit making the confused target not even contribute to damage since it couldn't hit other enemies.

What if Rad Control had like... "Mutate"  where you could apply a high-mag confuse to a target where the target actually gets buffed.  Essentially, you go TMNT 2 Ooze on a guy and turn them into a super-mutant that gets a ton of damage and survival boosts for a time while confused, and upon confuse end they de-mutate and throw up / get debuffed much like the Mutation Rez in /Rad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

One thing that I find lacking in the game is a confuse that actually turns the enemy into a "pet". 

What if Rad Control had like... "Mutate"  where you could apply a high-mag confuse to a target where the target actually gets buffed.  Essentially, you go TMNT 2 Ooze on a guy and turn them into a super-mutant that gets a ton of damage and survival boosts for a time while confused, and upon confuse end they de-mutate and throw up / get debuffed much like the Mutation Rez in /Rad.

Alternatively, it could work like the lost cure from the Montague Castanella storyarc; your enemy target is transformed replacing him (in this case into a bulked-up, roided up pet instead of a civilian).

Edited by Shadowsleuth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadowsleuth said:

It could work like the lost cure from the Montague Castanella storyarc; your enemy target is transformed replacing him (in this case into a bulked-up pet instead of a civilian).

Perhaps even different pet types dependant on their basic Origin, though that might be hard to work out unless there was some way to work out which mob was which origin.

3 minutes ago, Lost Ninja said:

Perhaps even different pet types dependant on their basic Origin, though that might be hard to work out unless there was some way to work out which mob was which origin.

Even if it can't be based on Origin, there should be a random variety of pet(s) created to simulate random mutations.

And perhaps the recharge on the power could have some overlap to have more than one out (briefly).

1 hour ago, Shadowsleuth said:

Even if it can't be based on Origin, there should be a random variety of pet(s) created to simulate random mutations.

But if the powers of these random mutants vary, then 1 will likely stand out as the best or preferred one;  Perhaps just varying the appearance of the pet, but keep their powers the same.

Edited by biostem

If Radiation Control existed I picture it as featuring a couple of control based toggles. Maybe a power that is a Sleep similar to Static Field but that is a cycling toggle with an AOE radius, like Telekinesis. Or you could do one that creates a control aura affecting everyone except the toggle anchor, so it runs around, infecting everyone who gets near. 

Maybe a placeable radiation psuedo pet that provides +Recharge to the group, on a scale similar to Tree of Life?

I like the idea of a Confuse the mutates the enemy and provides it with +damage as posted above.

There is so much room for new Control set designs, IMO probably more so than any other set type. There are a ton of interesting ways to design toggles, patches, cones, and other unique effects.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1