Blaster Defiance

Nightmarer

Gonna throw my 2 cents in too. I personally hated Defiance 1.0. If my health was low enough for it to do anything, then I died using it. I kept my blasters as close to full health as possible because dying as a blaster was/is so easy. So, no. Please do not bring back original Defiance.

(Also, since when does Defiance let you use the first 3 tiers of blaster powers through CC? Only the first 2 tiers of powers can be used when any of my blasters are mezzed.)

I don't know how many would want old Defiance back if it meant giving up being able to use your T1+T2 powers when mezzed, and giving up the +dmg boost that comes from using your powers.  Now, wanting both sets of bonuses, sure I can see that, but I see no need for it. Blasters are not exactly hurting in current gameplay.

Edited by MTeague
grammer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Didn't someone put out a pie-in-the-sky tier wish-list for a kind of "branched" AT concept that basically allowed you a selection of inherent powers at character creation?

Of course, we know that inherent powers are not module in nature but rather built into the powers themselves...but what if it was possible to pick your inherent among a branch of them at character creation depending on your AT?

Defiance old skool was a fun play style.  I had my jollies with it but have adapted into my scrappier ways with my current blasters....but I would definitely roll a few old skool blasters that could seemingly obliterate things if they were put at that threashold. With IOs, it might actually be somewhat broken...

The fascinating part would be what varied inherent powers could other ATs have? Bring in beta Stalker with its %HP damage AS to come solo some GMs? 

4 minutes ago, Naraka said:

Didn't someone put out a pie-in-the-sky tier wish-list for a kind of "branched" AT concept that basically allowed you a selection of inherent powers at character creation?

Of course, we know that inherent powers are not module in nature but rather built into the powers themselves...but what if it was possible to pick your inherent among a branch of them at character creation depending on your AT?

Defiance old skool was a fun play style.  I had my jollies with it but have adapted into my scrappier ways with my current blasters....but I would definitely roll a few old skool blasters that could seemingly obliterate things if they were put at that threashold. With IOs, it might actually be somewhat broken...

The fascinating part would be what varied inherent powers could other ATs have? Bring in beta Stalker with its %HP damage AS to come solo some GMs? 

My personal view is you can play however you want as long as I am not required to play the same way. Your idea has merit. If people could choose which version of their AT's inherent they wanted to use, that would be fine. Caveat: Once a character has been made with that choice, that character is stuck with that choice unless re-rolled. No changing inherents based on whim of the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a Blaster main here (Alyssa Q'Uzixola, for those of you who frequent the Everlasting server), and a player who was NOT here on "Live" so therefore I have nothing for or against the "Old Defiance" mechanics (because I started with HomeComing in 2019)...  Could I please get some precise clarification as to what exactly the "old" Defiance Inherent power for Blasters did?

I'd be happy to share my perspective, but I'd need to know how it worked in theory and in practice...  From what I gather from what y'all have said, especially the amusing response from @Outrider_01 , you'd basically have to be nearly dead to use it?

Defiance 1.0 gave blasters a damage boost when their health was at or below 25%. Whenever your health bar was red, you got the damage boost. That was it.

Edit: Or was it at 20% health remaining? Been a while and I preferred to keep my health up rather than ride the razor edge of doom.

Edited by Rudra

45 minutes ago, agentx5 said:

As a Blaster main here (Alyssa Q'Uzixola, for those of you who frequent the Everlasting server), and a player who was NOT here on "Live" so therefore I have nothing for or against the "Old Defiance" mechanics (because I started with HomeComing in 2019)...  Could I please get some precise clarification as to what exactly the "old" Defiance Inherent power for Blasters did?

I'd be happy to share my perspective, but I'd need to know how it worked in theory and in practice...  From what I gather from what y'all have said, especially the amusing response from @Outrider_01 , you'd basically have to be nearly dead to use it?

Searched up the wiki for the original Defiance. Here's the quote:

Defiance was changed to its current state on December 11, 2007. The previous version, introduced in Issue 5, made use of the "brown bar" on the UI, which represented a buff to Damage and ToHit. As a Blaster's HP dropped, Defiance's buff would rise. The exact mathematical forumlas used to calculate new Damage and ToHit values are as follows:

Multiplier  = 2 ^ ((45 - HealthPercentage) / 10)
DamageBoost = 25% * Multiplier
ToHitBoost  = 1.25% * Multiplier

Following that route, the buff values at 25% health would yield a 100% boost to Damage and a 5% boost to ToHit. At 5% health, there would be a 400% boost to Damage and a 20% boost to ToHit.