Blaster Defiance

Nightmarer

Hello,

I know this is most likely impossible, however, I'd love blasters to go back to old defiance. Granted it only worked well 1% of the times, but boy, that time it worked, it was well worth all the previous faceplants.

For me, blasters were ten times more fun to play with the old Defiance mechanics.

Edited by Nightmarer
Typos, typos everywhere
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Perhaps it could be chosen as a power to choose? Personally, I found it worthless. With IOs and powers like Caustic and Frigid Protection, it would be a lot harder to stay below 25% (or whatever threshold you chose for the correlating damage boost). It seems a smarter play (but maybe not more fun for some?) to slot for more dps & recharge to dish out that damage faster. 

18 hours ago, Nightmarer said:

Hello,

I know this is most likely impossible, however, I'd love blasters to go back to old defiance. Granted it only worked well 1% of the times, but boy, that time it worked, it was well worth all the previous faceplants.

For me, blasters were ten times more fun to play with the old Defiance mechanics.

Yoir kidding right?  So you liked giving b**w j*bs and t***ing the salad of the Grime Reaper?  Had to to be very friendly  with GR so wouldn't come collecting.

Sure, it was more challenging.  But its counterintuitive for squishy class trying to stay alive who easily drew a lot of agro.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Yeah no, anyone playing a blaster who does not appreciate how powerful it actually is simply isnt that good at playing a blaster.

When one builds taking into account the fact the first 3 powers you take as a blaster can be used even when under a barrage of numerous CC using mobs, then not unlike scrappers, tankers, etc you can fight on.

Yes if you basically ignore your single target attacks because your all about mass trash killing then sure it wont seem that handy. But when your one on one with a big bad CC using AV, the only blasters soloing that are the ones that dont fear the CC. And I am talking about leveling blaster play not only end build Incarnate blasters.

• Like 1

Meh, what a bunch of pansies, I bet you all play those shitty Sentinel thingies...

10 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

So you liked giving b**w j*bs and t***ing the salad of the Grime Reaper?

Nope, you might be mistaking me with you father buty I am not, keep looking, I am sure you may find out who he is one day....

For what it's worth, I would not like to go back to old Defiance.  Thanks!

• Thanks 3

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I do play those beautiful Sentinel thingies, and I also liked old Defiance (not over new Defiance, though).

"Low HP = high damage" is a fun risk/reward mechanic in any game. It would be cool to have a P2W power be just that.

It should come with a drawback too (else it'd be a straight buff everyone would run). Say, a toggle giving -5% def and -5% res, and increasing your damage by 1% for every % of missing health.

9 hours ago, Nightmarer said:

Meh, what a bunch of pansies, I bet you all play those shitty Sentinel thingies...

Nope, you might be mistaking me with you father buty I am not, keep looking, I am sure you may find out who he is one day....

Pro-tip: you have no sense of humor and probably came towards the end of a useless inherent; I got the impression you played pre-D....you might be only a handful that could use it.  That was a running joke at the time about the Grim Reaper.  Nearly every serious blaster hated Defiance 1.0 like the plague, we didn't ask for it and instead of riding Death we preferred to stay alive and cause mayhem regardless of the DMG bonuse.

Long animation like Assualt Rifle is locked with flame throwerbut not nealy as long with Full Auto, Device on the other hand got no benifite from it Def 1.0, cause face it only Caltops would do damage and you are dead if trying to plant a landmine in the middle of combat.

Riding the edge of death, I did say was a challenge, but one AoE at 5% the edge and your dead.  You want a challenge, strip out those IO, drop leadership, find other like minded individuals and run 4x8; 1 group at +4 is with 8 people tough but god forbid you got 2 or 3 groups while running with SO.

And old Def 1 would benifite a brute or tank more, looking back at the original 5 hero AT it was basically the only active inherent.  Not talking about hitting a button and generating taunt, RNGesus rolls for scrapper with an attack, increased damage from held baddies that couldn't fight back, or reduced endurance costs in a group....You actively have to take damage and 1 heal destroyed that benifite; the inherent activelly slid back and forth up the scale.  Better off staying alive and create carnage as long as you can without that bonuse.

Someone mentioned using the first attacks while held, pretty sure you couldn't with Def 1 and Def 2 it came later but I could be wrong, memory is fuzzy cause I discovered it a month ago.

For sents, Assualt rifle is so much better stat wise then the blaster.  Might be less damage but better full auto and that fire attack insted of the bonfire rip off.  Range is shorter but I am jealou.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I can only assume you must be joking. Because the only other reason anyone would want Defiance 1.0 back is because they hate Blasters and everybody who plays them.

I have never met a single soul who didn't hate Defiance 1.0 back in live, and who also weren't worshipping the dev team when they implemented Defiance 2.0. Defiance 2.0 is a thousand times more consistent, offers much better damage overall, and doesn't reward bad gameplay like the old version.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

41 minutes ago, Itikar said:

/jranger

And that's the only decent reply on this thread, the rest a cliché where we have everyone, the one who believes himself tough for swearing, the insufferable one who believes himself a pro and enters "everyone who knows about blasters..." the one who believes himself to be wcool and witty because of a stupid one liner and a babe in the avatar (and yes, Rhona Mitra is a babe).

This is far easier than that, whether you like it or not and don't assume anything, you guys don't have a fucking clue whether I love blasters or not, whether I know more or less or since when I play this game or not, said assumptions you can stick them up your rears. I had more fun with the old Defiance than with this Defiance 2.0 shit, I skip the powers I feel skipping and take the ones I feel taking and play the way I feel like playing, period, if you have a problem, my global is same as my forum name, avoid me in your teams and we'll all be happier, but your assumptions about me, save them for yourselves and for your inflatable dolls, you don't like the idea, perfect, say so but the rest of your fucking lectures, save them for the mirror.

Edited by Nightmarer
Because I feel like it

3 minutes ago, Nightmarer said:

And that's the only decent reply on this thread, the rest a cliché where we have everyone, the one who believes himself tough for swearing, the insufferable one who believes himself a pro and atrts "everyone who knows about blasters..." the one who believes himself to be witty with a one liner.

This is far easier than that, whether you like it or not and don't assume anything, you guys don't have a fucking clue whether I love blasters or not, whether I know more or less or since when I play this game or not, said assumptions you can stick them up your rears. I had more fun with the old Defiance than with this Defiance 2.0 shit, I skip the powers I feel skipping and take the ones I feel taking and play the way I feel like playing, period, if you have a problem, my global is same as my forum name, avoid me in your teams and we'll all be happier, but your assumptions about me, save them for yourselves and for your inflatable dolls, you don't like the idea, perfect, say so but the rest of your fucking lectures, save them for the mirror.

If they gave you an option in P2W, you would pick it up, right? I can’t imagine how long both Defiance options available at the same time would take to implement, short of making your own server, that’s likely your best bet.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

14 minutes ago, Nightmarer said:

And that's the only decent reply on this thread, the rest a cliché where we have everyone, the one who believes himself tough for swearing, the insufferable one who believes himself a pro and enters "everyone who knows about blasters..." the one who believes himself to be wcool and witty because of a stupid one liner and a babe in the avatar (and yes, Rhona Mitra is a babe).

Dude, why so hostile? 

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

1 hour ago, Nightmarer said:

Says the walking edgemaster cliche...

17 hours ago, Nightmarer said:

Bro, chill out. Its the damn internet, opinions are like buttholes and we all have one.  Sometimes the opinion is shit, but we are not best friends or brothers; example meaning we don't know each other personally so we don't have all the information.  We have to use our own perception base on what you say compared to what we experienced with Defiance 1.0. 

Some people really hated it with a passion. You think it was great? It was a joke, your as banged up as someone life support but the natural response to any human is to stay alive; you pop a heal not 3 purple to avoid damage or your healer class sets will hit you with green...end result zero or reduced damage not max bonus.  Long term, you got nothing unless you ask to not be healed or solo the entire time - boring in the internet cause its not a console game and XBOX/PS post 2005 don't count.

I assumed by what you said and you experienced from the beginning of Def 1 by the joke.  After your second response, I assumed you came toward the end of Def 1, some players can adapt far faster then others in a shorter time frame and....Its gone; you got Def 2.  I can't adapt cause I prefer to stay alive, not cuddle with a creepy anemic dude in a grey bath robe.

You, gave a suggestion...you expect a simple no or yes, a /veto meme as old as time?  Some like my stupid ass sound long winded, can't help that.  I can't even tell what I said sounded like an insult, I went back and looked.  I did say it was a challenge using Def 1, what a challenge would be compared to it on HC (my thinking was the old school SO with out incarnate or IO up the wazoo).

Sorry if you got affended, but you got to learn to let it go like water iff a duck.

I also never said or can see someone what powers you can pick.  I am already in a debate I gave up on on some guy who is dead set againt some MM using group fly, the guy comes off as a dick  that is dead set in his ways and says he would auto boot anyone using it.  Surpise!  Idiot can use a bird literally called Null the Guull in Pocket D to neutralize GF, he just refuses to do so.

Oh, and if you thought I meant "pro" blasters when I said serious I meant as in mostly played.  Melee in the beginning bored the crap out of me.  You prefere living on the edge as a blaster, I prefered the 3 classes with zero status protection.

Edited by Outrider_01

18 hours ago, Nightmarer said:

First off maybe try taking down the tude just a notch eh bud? I mean I strive to come off as an arrogant sob here on these forums and yet manage to be civil.

Now maybe you played every blaster set in every possible combo to cap back in the day. I actually did, and thankfully despite the massive amounts of no nothing bad blaster players on the old forums the devs in general had a pretty good tendency to listen to the handfuls that clearly understood and loved the game in equal measure.

The issue with old defiance is it was not fit for good play, group play, nor did it mix well with some powers in some blaster sets like drain psyche in mental for example. The main goal for all inherents was to make them as useful to the widest spectrum of builds in an AT as possible. At that same time players like myself kept on with the battle to see blasters as a warrior AT given some measure of self sustainability to more of its power sets. As we see that eventually also hit home with the devs and we saw more sets for blasters get self healing added.

Now I actually do get where you are coming from prior to defiance v2 a lot of really bad ideas got suggested on the forums and compared to many of those bad ideas original defiance was preferred and I myself initially championed just leaving it alone if they couldnt come up with something actually useful to most possible blaster builds. Virtually all my blasters in those old days tended to be at max debt because I mainly soloed and refused to play corner pull kite coward tactics in a game about super heroes. So i came to embrace old defiance. but it was also a large reason why many bad blasters came into being and how the meme of blasters being super squishy grew to such a common view it basically made blasters unwanted in groups when a few scrappers could clear any content at crey crey speed.

Defiance v2 actually is useful to just about every possible blaster build. Its dmg boost while modest benefits active engagment rather then self harm and super charge snipes. Something that for a time was pretty common street hunting for bosses that conned purple, a accuracy insp or two, a self harm long drop from the sky and a snipe to insta end the big guy. For solo blasters especially it was very common to play that way for average blasters to play that way to lvl up safely because they feared debt so bad.

Now if they wanted to add a way to let someone like yourself have the choice if such is possible, cool no ish from me. However your title, OP and general attitude on display make it seem as if your desire is to see modern defiance rolled back entirely and anyone that doesnt feel that way be damned.

Had you taken the time to write something civil, with a  desire to discuss rather then dictate perhaps you would have better success in future posts.

And bloody right I am giving a lecture, playing an old windbag of an immortal mentor is basically what I love to do most in this game.

• Like 2

• 2 years later

As much fun as I had with the old Defiance 1.0, I could never go back to it.

I'm a support main.  I HATED getting yelled at for healing someone because I "ruined" his damage output.  It actively discouraged me from doing my job, and made Blasters reckless in the pursuit of their job.  And don't think this is me complaining about a class I have no experience with.  I am a support MAIN, yes, but I have over 125 characters, many of them blasters.  I had so much fun riding the Defiance 1.0 high.  But it was toxic game design that was rightfully fixed.

Defiance 2.0 is far better, but I still feel like it's just Budget Brute Fury.  Same idea, gained faster, drops off faster.  The basic moves ignoring cc is a nice touch, but I feel like Blasters need something else to really distinguish their playstyle.  I had an idea for a new Archetype with a passive that, the more I think about it, just makes more sense for the existing Blaster AT.  My proposition:

Defiance 3.0:

• Primary abilities generate Defiance (bar where the Fury bar sits) based on the cooldown and activation time of the move.  Quicker moves grant less than slow moves (which is already sorta how the current Defiance damage buffs are calculated, so it wouldn't be hard to scale this).
  • Secondary Set powers consume Defiance based on their cooldown and activation time.  Each secondary set power has a boosted version with increases to damage, debuffs, buffs, and crowd control (not sure if it would be duration or magnitude, that's up for debate and testing).

Essentially, slow, strong attacks will generate the most Defiance, with weaker, faster moves generating far less.  This resource is then used to empower your other moves.  Are you a Blapper?  Aim and Snipe to get a huge amount of Defiance, then blow it all on some super strong melee attacks.  Do you have mostly utility in your secondary set, like Devices?  Your ranged attacks boost the buffs provided by Targeting Drone, Field Operative, the debuff of Smoke Grenade, the damage of Trip Mine and Gun Drone, etc.  But those stronger moves will require more of the Defiance bar to pull off in their empowered forms.  Blast out a Dreadful Wail to fill your bar so you can call out a stronger Gun Drone.  Could you imagine the shenanigans of Energy Manipulation buffs being stronger because you used them with a full Defiance meter?  Aim + Snipe, then get a stronger Build Up and using the last of your defiance on a Total Focus.

This could bring back some of the fun while being its own unique thing.