The Holy Trinity isn't. Advice for veterans of other MMOs

Zolgar

8 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Indeed, if my scrapper (Claw/SR/Body) isn't controlling the aggro it isn't because she was dead or dying.  It was probably because someone with Taunt or a Taunt aura was on the team OR someone else was doing silly amounts of (likely AoE)  damage such as a well played and incarnated Blaster.  Sure as hell wasn't cause she couldn't handle the damage.

I only run, Shield, Rad, Inv, WP,EA or BIO  for a reason they all have a taunt aura

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

10 minutes ago, hejtmane said:

I only run, Shield, Rad, Inv, WP,EA or BIO  for a reason they all have a taunt aura

Aye the variety is good (both taunt Auras and lack thereof in Scrappers).  I'm not particularly concerned about being an off tank or keeping runners from ... running.  Except maybe idiot AVs like Rommy.  I've got both Focus and Shockwave which means they usually end up eating dirt 'over there' vs at my feet anyway or since my Shockwave doesn't have a kb to kd IO sometimes it just sends their backsides flying into the next spawn as I follow them.  If it's a single tough target well I'm a Scrapper I will have their attention though I'd hesitate to call that 'tanking' per se 😜

This happened on Excelsior.

I wasn't allowed on a team because they needed a healer. First, what? This person also marks the adds each pull? Then today I had a stone tanker freaking out in a TF that no one was healing him.

The team needs more damage. Not heals.

• 3 weeks later
On 9/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, SomeGuy said:

This happened on Excelsior.

I wasn't allowed on a team because they needed a healer. First, what? This person also marks the adds each pull? Then today I had a stone tanker freaking out in a TF that no one was healing him.

The team needs more damage. Not heals.

Not true, any type of group build can work. In reality more DPS doesn't mean shart, when you DPS can't even effect regen of AVs or your eating dirt 24-7. At end of the day, everyone who is not a resistance build should be trying soft cap DEFENSE to S/L/R then anything else.

The 3 Rs are still Aces of the game: +Recovery, +Recharge, & -Regen.  Without those, doesn't matter what you do, you ain't doing much for higher content.

5 hours ago, JJDrakken said:

Not true, any type of group build can work. In reality more DPS doesn't mean shart, when you DPS can't even effect regen of AVs or your eating dirt 24-7. At end of the day, everyone who is not a resistance build should be trying soft cap DEFENSE to S/L/R then anything else.

The 3 Rs are still Aces of the game: +Recovery, +Recharge, & -Regen.  Without those, doesn't matter what you do, you ain't doing much for higher content.

I lump -reg and -res as more DPS. And with enough DPS you can absolutely get past high HP encounters without -reg or -res. You just rarely see this due to the fact you still have people thinking regen is good and KM is bad (this is a great example of why this game is great...you can get stuff done with weird choices). But I've seen more than enough TFs and trials get stopped in their tracks because there wasn't enough DPS. This isn't WoW. The few fights in this game that aren't tank'n'spanks are implemented pretty poorly. And whenever someone does come from a game where kiting a boss, or something similar is the norm, and they do it here? It really only leads to heartache.

Clearly DPS doesn't mean shart if they can't effect the regen of a thing. Hence why...MOAR DPS.

-REG and -RES are why solo cold domination characters can achieve interesting things solo. -RES is a HUGE reason why x/bio scrappers are so sought after. -RES just makes the entire team hit harder. It's beautiful. easily my favorite debuff.

Edited by SomeGuy

• 8 months later
On 5/13/2019 at 5:30 AM, Zolgar said:

Many players are returning after long stretches of playing other MMOs where the “Holy Trinity” is king.

In case you’re not familiar with the term “Holy Trinity” in regards to an MMO:

Damage Per Second (DPS), Heals, Tank.

DPS kills things, Tank holds the agro, Heals keeps them both alive. There is very little room for anything else in most MMOs, and in most MMOs there are only a few options that are considered “ideal” for the role at hand.

City of Heroes is different.

At the core, you could argue that the same concept of the Holy Trinity applies:

Agro management, support, and damage.

But let’s talk about those roles in CoH:

Damage, DPS.

This is the most obvious role. What archetype fills this role? All of them. The entire team fills this role. Everyone on the team should have time to attack, yes, even the defenders. Certain archetypes are primarily focused on damage, and including a few of them in your team is always good, but by no means mandatory.

Agro management.

In other MMOs this is the role of the tank, and while a tank can certainly manage agro in CoH, they’re not the only ones who can.

Tanks, Brutes, and Scrappers can all manage agro by pissing things off and keeping their attention (though Scrappers are not as good at it as the other two)

Controllers and Dominators primarily manage agro with control powers. Sleeps, holds, stuns, knockbacks, etc. Yes, I said knockbacks. Yes, it can be frustrating to be a tank in the middle of a swarm and suddenly they all go flying away, but while a foe is standing and running back to the fight, they’re not attacking. All other archetypes have the capacity to manage agro this way as well, in a lesser capacity, depending on their powersets.

Masterminds manage agro by using their pets they can summon as either disposable minions (if it’s shooting a minion it’s not shooting a team mate), or they can tank by using Bodyguard mode. What’s bodyguard mode? If you have your pets set to “defensive” and “follow” while they are close to you, your pets basically act as armor absorbing part of the damage you would take, makes a well built MM incredibly tanky.

Lastly, agro can also be managed by pure raw damage output. They can’t attack you if they’re dead. This is a viable strategy in CoH.

Support.

Ah support. The most diverse category in the game, and ultimately the reason I am writing this. Veterans of other MMOs tend to see this category and instantly go to “heals”. Well, healing is a thing in CoH, but there is no “healer”. “But Zolgar, what about Empathy and Pain?” Those are buff sets with a strong healing element, and when you’re playing a brute and suddenly you have Enforced Morale, World of Pain, and Painbringer on you? You’ll understand why Pain is so much more than healz.

I’m going to be honest. “Healing” is not a very strong form of support in City of Heroes. Yes, I said it. Empathy and Pain are amazing sets, because they support their healing with buffs and debuffs, and if you skip those powers? You’re severely underpowering yourself and missing the best powers in the sets.

So, if healing is not the ideal support, what is? Aside from healing, there are three types of support in CoH:

Buffs make your team better. Whether making them get hit less, take less damage from the hits they take, hit harder, recharge their powers faster, recover endurance faster, increase their hitpoints, etc.

Debuffs make the enemies weaker, most of these tend to focus on making them do less damage, hit less often, take more damage, or be easier to hit.

Control, there are a number of support sets with control elements. Slows (mechanically they fall under a debuff, but as far as support they are more about battlefield control), knockback/down, fear, stun, etc. Storm is a major example of this, it has some buff/debuff in it but it’s primary about controlling the battlefield, which is why many players have a hard time understanding it as a support set.

One thing you’ll note is that most sets have a mix of at least two kinds of support, some even have all four. There is no single support set that is the “best” or “worst”, all have their strengths and weaknesses, and are a major boone to a team when played well (some are easier to play than others though).

It’s worth noting that many attack sets, and some armor sets feature a debuff as a secondary effect to their powers. Dark powers reduce accuracy, Radiation powers reduce defense, etc. This is rarely enough to qualify as ‘support’ on its own, but for defenders and corruptors it’s a good reason to make sure you attack too… and for others, you can actually build another archetype to capitalize on these secondary effects.

Other archetypes can also move in the direction of support with power pools. Leadership, Medicine, Sorcery, Stealth? All have powers that aid your party.

All of that said though… there is still one thing about City of Heroes I haven’t covered in terms of teaming:

Outside of certain end-game content, you don’t even need to have a slightly optimized team, as long as most everyone on the team is competent at what they do. Back on live, mono-archetype TFs were commonplace. Why? Because it was fun. Who needs dedicated damage dealers when you have a squad of defenders buffing each other to the gills? Who needs support when you have 8 blasters melting everything that crosses their path? Who needs anything else when you have the mayhem of 8 masterminds? (Defeated not by foes, but by caves.)

Know your character and what they’re capable of, understand what the rest of the team is capable of, and you should have a successful team if you work together. We’re superheroes (or villains), while individually we’re powerful, our true power shows when we work together.

'City of Heroes is Different.'

You said it.

Azrael.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later
  • 1 year later
On 7/8/2022 at 6:10 AM, Myrmidon said:

Try not to overthink it. This is superheroes and many of us can cover vulnerabilities. 

Right its allot less simple thent his but at first it wont matter much but you will need to learn how different teams can synergize and stack debuffs and buffs for example.

• 2 months later

Thank you everyone for clearing things up, for sharing why CoH is different.

I just came to CoH for the first time ever, for that matter this is the first superhero mmo or game I have ever played ... ever ... since I began playing computer games in the 80's. I knew nothing and still know very very little.... but I did learn an important aspect of CoH and perhaps all superhero games perhaps...

Healers aren't needed. I came here to Heal as a primary Role/Job. CoH isn't designed to need them from what everyone here has shared and what I've seen of the game so far. I have been playing mmos since 2001, I'm done with dps and tank roles, done with cc, I came here to heal, playing a Healer is what I wanted to do here, not going to happen apparently.

Thanks for being honest so I didn't waste my time. Cya. Have fun.

18 hours ago, Cognadistor74 said:

Thank you everyone for clearing things up, for sharing why CoH is different.

I just came to CoH for the first time ever, for that matter this is the first superhero mmo or game I have ever played ... ever ... since I began playing computer games in the 80's. I knew nothing and still know very very little.... but I did learn an important aspect of CoH and perhaps all superhero games perhaps...

Healers aren't needed. I came here to Heal as a primary Role/Job. CoH isn't designed to need them from what everyone here has shared and what I've seen of the game so far. I have been playing mmos since 2001, I'm done with dps and tank roles, done with cc, I came here to heal, playing a Healer is what I wanted to do here, not going to happen apparently.

Thanks for being honest so I didn't waste my time. Cya. Have fun.

You can still heal just fine.  There is nothing wrong with it.

What is stated here is that do to how Buffs, Debuffs, Defense soft capping, etc...  It's not required.  Trust me, healers are still wanted.  Especially with a teams that don't have the money, time, or patience to deck out a build of a hero.  Those that stick strictly to SOs or IOs.  There still harder content in the game that a healer can and will be wanted.

Different star ranks of Taskforces & Strikeforces for example.  Don't let this post detour you from what you want to play.  I would suggest getting to know your community on the server you play and to hang out with folks more.

Not every set is just pure heals. They all offer buffs and/or debuffs with those heals.  So play & have fun. 🙂

Edited by JJDrakken
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 6:20 AM, Lyrium said:

You can heal just fine. You can't just heal. You need to do something else. Buff, debuff, blast away... what are you going to do when all the team is topped up?

Buff, DeBuff, DPS, of course, as I would in any other MMO.... I prefer MMOs that are designed with a more active "Healer" role... I enjoy "filling the green bars" and pulling other's arse out of the fire in a tough fight, but here combat is different and much more complex than in other MMOs. I am learning by playing the game that I can focus on filling the role as a "healer" AND focus on the Buff/Debuff/Support role as well, filling what would be in other MMOs two roles in one. This makes this MMO different than others, and here Buff/debuff/support is actually designed quite well, a refreshing change from other MMOs did not put as much design work into the "Support" aspect of the roles. I understand now what everyone above was trying to explain.

So I am relearning just what "Support" means and how it's different here, and for me I had to play to get the jest of it. Playing Support is enjoyable to me and fits my temperament. I appreciate that this MMO was saved and is still going. Thanks for Homecoming project.

My concerns are answered, thanks for the dialog.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 8:18 AM, Cognadistor74 said:

Buff, DeBuff, DPS, of course, as I would in any other MMO.... I prefer MMOs that are designed with a more active "Healer" role... I enjoy "filling the green bars" and pulling other's arse out of the fire in a tough fight, but here combat is different and much more complex than in other MMOs. I am learning by playing the game that I can focus on filling the role as a "healer" AND focus on the Buff/Debuff/Support role as well, filling what would be in other MMOs two roles in one. This makes this MMO different than others, and here Buff/debuff/support is actually designed quite well, a refreshing change from other MMOs did not put as much design work into the "Support" aspect of the roles. I understand now what everyone above was trying to explain.

So I am relearning just what "Support" means and how it's different here, and for me I had to play to get the jest of it. Playing Support is enjoyable to me and fits my temperament. I appreciate that this MMO was saved and is still going. Thanks for Homecoming project.

I have a bunch of Empaths, currently 4 of my 11 characters at level 50 are Empaths with several more on their way up).  All of them very capable of healing especially their "team builds".  You want to mostly pass out the heals and fill green bars exemplar or cap you level (turn off your xp gain) and help lower-level teams.  You'll generally find a lot more to do at those levels.  Or play on smaller teams tackling larger groups of foes.  

PS:  Mine also tend to blow up stuff between passing the buffs and heals.     

On 4/16/2024 at 2:18 PM, Cognadistor74 said:

Glad you are giving a second opportunity to the Support role here! As a long time defender lover, you have my full... Support 😉 

• Thumbs Up 1

The basic concept of Def/Res/Regen(Heal)/Damage Output still exists.

It's now more that there's fewer incentives to focus on one aspect to the exclusion of all others.

It's possible to bring all of the above in a single character, successfully.

As such you now have LOTS of options to kick ass and decide whether you need to know their names...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!