Force Field Rework Suggestions

Darkneblade

Make personal force field less powerful but also remove affect only self powers.
Make force field feature unique for example: Bubble gets shrinking when taking damage and eventually your toggle goes off.Otherwise as long as Bubble is still there you get no damage.
Enemies wants to go through bubble ? well no problem they can get in if you are not moving. When you are moving, force field just knockback ones trying to enter. Enemies already inside bubble and you are moving ? Well they are trapped in bubble now and no way out.As bubble get shrinking they get crushed inside.What happens to you ? Well you get crushed as well if you got no personal force field on.
Force Bolt is fine if bit underwhelming combine it with detention field but make it hold.Or just make detention field hold only.

I think Personal Force Field could be just regular +Def, maybe Ranged and AOE only (not Melee).  That would be fine.

Other stuff: Detention Field prob should be just a Hold.  It could be a high mag hold with a really long recharge rate to keep it as an "oh crap" button, or maybe instead a mag 2 hold with a small AoE.

Repulsion Bomb: I hears it's KD now, might be fine as is.

The two "repel" fields seem redundant.  Maybe keep only one and make the other the reverse: gather all Mobs together on to one point.  Close to a unique power in CoH.

I like Force Bolt, the KB is OK and can be dealt with, but I really like the -Fly.  It's very handy and useful.  Maybe add a bit more damage though.

I feel there's one other power that's kinda "needs work" but nothing comes to mind.  (My experience with FF: my first 50 on live was Bots/FF and I basically took just the shields, everything else was pretty skippable.)

Yes agreed detention field should be an ordinary hold, however the issue ive noticed is high level players find FF obsolete since they have their defenses capped already. so i propose in addition to the change to detention field, an offensive component to FF (GASP!) how about FF reflects 10% of its damage back to the attacker maybe the damage should scale or something. i dunno

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

Well, justify "needs."  A fair number of support sets are mainly relevant in the early and mid game, but fade out in the late game.  Empathy and its clone Pain Domination come immediately to mind.  Are we going to revamp them too?  Or is OK to leave FF, Emp and PD alone.  They're fine for someone who wants to play those sets.  I played a Bots/FF to 50 and beyond and had plenty of fun.  "Power" didn't interest me much, it was more about the journey, which was weird, and fun.

But we could make some proposals.  Personally I'm bad with the numbers end of this game, so I don't really know what to do about it.  (Well, and to be fair the Bots have a load of -Regen, which is usually helpful on high end content.)  Maybe a Set IO that goes in PBAoE Repel and offers some goodie against high level foes.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:33 PM, gameboy1234 said:

The two "repel" fields seem redundant.  Maybe keep only one and make the other the reverse: gather all Mobs together on to one point.  Close to a unique power in CoH.

They're two different effects, Repel and KD. They can actually affect enemies differently, on top of having different ranges. I'd hate to have one gather foes towards my squishy defender.

5 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Give it some +resist.

Or Absorb

Adding resist steps on Sonic's toes, though. Granted, Sonic also debuffs.

I'd say instead of massive changes (since, honestly, I'm on the side of "IOs are the problem" and was on live,) add debuffs and/or damage, likely smashing. If Force Bolt can "plow through" enemies instead of knocking one back, add that (damaging each, probably less than the main target.) Force Bubble (the repel) debuffs. Repulsion Field adds damage with every "tick" it goes off in addition to the KB. Detention Field's "issue" on live was that people didn't see it. You can't enhance the untouchable. If anything should reflect an attack attempt, that would be the one to do it in. (Besides, unlike a hold, Detention Field works on a boss reliably without stacking. It has a shorter duration, though. Work on its visibility.)

Have it pair (more) with Force of Will - we have (had) something similar on live with Devices on blasters and snipes, as I recall - with at the *least* Weaken Resolve. (It already stacks with Leadership.) Wall of Force could be what turns Force Bolt into an AOE as mentioned above.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

17 hours ago, Greycat said:

They're two different effects, Repel and KD. They can actually affect enemies differently, on top of having different ranges. I'd hate to have one gather foes towards my squishy defender.

Those two effects could be added to the one remaining power to allow it to function as both.  Or maybe add another IO set that gives the same effect as having the two in one power.  Depends on how folks feel about powers and power creep and such like.

And I meant "gather foes together" NOT as a PBAoE.  That would be silly.  Obviously it would have to be one of those powers with a white circular cursor like Tar Patch or Rain of Fire and you place it away from your squishy toon, not where the guys will get you.

FF is one of those sets you love to see at lower levels.  At high level it becomes somewhat redundant.

Not 100% so though, thanks to the mezz resist bubble.  That is always awesome.

If only more bubblers would follow blasters into Melee ...

Maybe that would be a good use for the guardian idea.

It would be fine to make Detention Field a hold, but you could achieve a very similar effect if you just made it a toggle, or gave the caster of it the ability to cancel it.

The current version does give a different feel to other holds, though, and it would be nice to retain that.

• 4 weeks later
On 12/17/2019 at 8:38 PM, gameboy1234 said:

Those two effects could be added to the one remaining power to allow it to function as both.  Or maybe add another IO set that gives the same effect as having the two in one power.  Depends on how folks feel about powers and power creep and such like.

... except, due to their differing effects, I for one wouldn't *want* them to function as both. I try not to use a wrench as a hammer.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.