Took Your Advice (CoH Theme)

Solarverse

So I read what y'all wrote me and I agree, it needed a bit more umph, a bit more bass. So I took it a step further than that and customized it a bit.  Hope you enjoy this one much better than the last...I think you will.

City of Heroes Remastered

Edited by Solarverse
spelling correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate both of you for your kind feedback. I would like to see more feedback on this and get people's honest opinions. I know not everyone will like it; some will think it's too dark of a version, others will think it's not dark enough, so I tried to find a happy medium while keeping the piece heroic in nature and not veering too far away from the original,  essentially keeping the spirit of the original.

Even the version we have today is not the original. The one we have today is a remake of the first. I would be honored if people felt this one would be worth the title, but for sure wouldn't get my feelings hurt if people didn't like it. 

I love it!

is it a tribute to someone?  I only ask because of the interstitial picture in the video (“never forgotten”)

Get’s my vote for in game music

• Thanks 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

2 hours ago, justicebeliever said:

I love it!

is it a tribute to someone?  I only ask because of the interstitial picture in the video (“never forgotten”)

Get’s my vote for in game music

Actually, that picture was taken while the game was shut down on the anniversary of the night City of Heroes was no more, on the Paragon Chat server. It was all we had...or so we thought. Every year on that night a bunch of us logged on, did the hold torch emote, and stood proud until the next morning.

And thank you for the up vote to the composition!

13 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I appreciate both of you for your kind feedback. I would like to see more feedback on this and get people's honest opinions. I know not everyone will like it; some will think it's too dark of a version, others will think it's not dark enough, so I tried to find a happy medium while keeping the piece heroic in nature and not veering too far away from the original,  essentially keeping the spirit of the original.

Even the version we have today is not the original. The one we have today is a remake of the first. I would be honored if people felt this one would be worth the title, but for sure wouldn't get my feelings hurt if people didn't like it. 

First, you can do a lot more than I ever could, so kudos to you on your creativity.  I'm always interested in finding good superhero themes so, please, keep at it.

You're asking for honest opinions, so I will give one.  I listened to yours multiple times then went back to listen to what, to me (YMMV), is the current gold standard for COH fan theme scoring:  OmniousVoice's "City of Heroes Orchestral: Rise of the Heroes" (see YouTube).   I don't know the limitations of the tools you use, but OV's work sounds richer somehow, maybe a little less clipped on notes.  I deliberately didn't post it's link because this thread should focus on your work, not his, but perhaps if you listen to it, side by side with yours, my crude attempt to explain will become clear.

33 minutes ago, Techwright said:

First, you can do a lot more than I ever could, so kudos to you on your creativity.  I'm always interested in finding good superhero themes so, please, keep at it.

You're asking for honest opinions, so I will give one.  I listened to yours multiple times then went back to listen to what, to me (YMMV), is the current gold standard for COH fan theme scoring:  OmniousVoice's "City of Heroes Orchestral: Rise of the Heroes" (see YouTube).   I don't know the limitations of the tools you use, but OV's work sounds richer somehow, maybe a little less clipped on notes.  I deliberately didn't post it's link because this thread should focus on your work, not his, but perhaps if you listen to it, side by side with yours, my crude attempt to explain will become clear.

What I used is an expensive tool, but not even close to as expensive as some of the better tools that are out there. Hanz Zimmer uses one to create his compositions that I would die to get a hold of, it would be the best Christmas present ever. But yes, he is using a much better tool than what I have. unfortunately, what I have is all I could afford. One day, if the day ever comes that my musical experience pays off, I'll buy a much better tool and really get some awesome stuff going, but until then I am kind of stuck with what I have for the time being. Boy would I love to have a better program.

I started off playing guitar at the age of 8 years old. By time I was in high school I was playing lead guitar for some of the local heavy metal bands. By time I was in my 20's, I had started an original metal band and we played the tri-state area, playing in some of the best clubs out there. At the age of 29, we had that one chance to make it and turned it down because we didn't like how the offer was presented. I don't regret that choice because now I am married and have three beautiful kids. If we had taken the offer, most likely I would be dead by now, heh.

I started taking an interest in symphony orchestra (always had an interest in it, ever since I had seen Conan (the original) on the big screen when I was a child) a few years ago when I started creating Solarverse and the Ecliptic Comics Publishing Co. that I am still putting together. I didn't see the point in hiring somebody to write music for me, since I had the skills needed anyway...all I needed was the tool to do it, since I obviously can't afford to pay a real Symphony Orchestra to do it, heh. I have created a LOT of music since then and it's more of a hobby for me at this point. If anyone ever wishes to hire me professionally, I would absolutely spend the extra cash for the best tool on the market. But for now, even without having the best tools available, I am pretty satisfied with what I have for the time being.

I appreciate your honesty. And I agree with pretty much everything you said.

• Like 1