!Powerset Proliferation!

Beau_Hica

Devs,

Please please please please please allow for powerset proliferation until there's a chance to do an overhaul.

Right now, there's a few fotm builds that everyone is using to do certain things.  In lieu of balance or fixes, the current state of the game is, "It's not top tier, but it's still fine".  Implying that people should be able to play like they want.  I agree with this fully.

I want to be able to play a tank with all of the options, Energy Aura, Regen, Ninjitsu.  Sure, it'll be utterly suboptimal.  But let that be my choice, please 😉

Now for melee, I want all of the melee attacks to be available to everyone. 

I'm not sure how hard of a change this would be, but if I was on the development team, that would be my focus =P  Making everything available to everyone.

For those that weren't aware, the original City of Heroes Alpha had it where all powersets were available to every toon created and it was further refined into the model that we know and love.  Now, we have level Epic power pools that provide holds and immobilizes to tanks, ranged attacks to melee groups, shields to controllers, etc.  So we're slowly getting back to the CoHA but doing it in a way that doesn't make the game feel trivial until we get to level 50 and incarnates.  I'm not suggesting we break the current mold, but pushing power powerset options to people that make sense would be an amazing start.

Cheers!  Thanks for reading.

33 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

im not sure i understand this, u want to make powersets like in champions online where u can mix and match powers indiscriminately?

Using context clues from this quote: "I want to be able to play a tank with all of the options, Energy Aura, Regen, Ninjitsu.", no.  The OP is asking for complete powerset proliferation.  Complete in the context of "finished", not "fully", i.e. sets that fit an AT's powerset combination (Dominator = control/assault, Scrapper = melee/defense, Tanker = defense/melee, Corruptor = ranged/support) having all relevant sets available. 

• Thanks 1

Devs have already said that energy aura will not be ported to tanks without significant changes (i.e., it's not sub-optimal, it's too good).

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Leo is correct.  I want proliferation where it fits the AT.

I read through the Captain Powerhouse comments and I disagree with EA too strong for tanks.  For a simple comparison, look at Ice Armor and Super Reflexes.  Shield can beat it with just 3 powers, how does that make any sense that EA would be too high?  I don't see any nerf Shield/Ice/SR threads, so why would porting something that would be slightly weaker be a dealbreaker lol... Especially now with all of the "if you want harder content, don't max your toon out" conversations =P

1 hour ago, Beau_Hica said:

I read through the Captain Powerhouse comments and I disagree with EA too strong for tanks.  For a simple comparison, look at Ice Armor and Super Reflexes.  Shield can beat it with just 3 powers, how does that make any sense that EA would be too high?  I don't see any nerf Shield/Ice/SR threads, so why would porting something that would be slightly weaker be a dealbreaker lol... Especially now with all of the "if you want harder content, don't max your toon out" conversations =P

Not sure how you figure that. An EA tank with SOs only and no pool powers and surrounded by 6 foes would have 40.6% S/L, 45.2% F/C, 49.1% E and 35.9% N defense plus 19.5% S/L, 35.1% E and 19.5% N resistance. Increasing to 10 foes would add another ~3% defense. A SR tank with SOs only and no pool powers would have 40.6% defense to all positions. Shield is complicated by Phalanx Fighting and how many teammates are within 8 feet. If I'm doing the math right, a Shield tank with SOs only and no pool powers would have 42.4% defense to all positions with 3 teammates (the max) within range, but drops to 33.1% with only 1 teammate in range. Shield would also have 23.4% resistance to all damage types except psi.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Probably more than that, evidently Mids does not do the effects of Energy Drain correctly ?

There are plenty of screenies of Self buffed EA brutes in the 60s+

I'm not 100% sure why/or the scope of it.  On my EA stalker I built for softcap outside of ED so I rarely hit it.

Though my new project will be different, as it seems quite a good choice for the chance to stun end mod IO. 

Wonder if Ice is in the same boat on the mids vs game?

On 12/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, HelenCarnate said:

Don't forget SS and EM scrappers, TW stalkers and Illusion Doms. Oh and stone armor for stalkers.  

Will [censored] for TW Stalkers

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube