New COV Zones

PennZephre

Mmm... One of the things that I like about red side is that there are only seven, fairly distinct, zones in comparison to blue side's two dozen generic, bland zones.

As I posted before though, I would all be for transferring Faultline to red side and then eliminating the rest of blue side. 😛

• Like 1

I think Striga Isle would be a good candidate to turn into a villain zone. Besides two TF contacts, there isn't really much going on there, and I don't think it's actually part of Paragon city. It could be pretty easy for villain groups to secure more of a foothold there and blockade access to it from Paragon with a little more effort.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

I think Striga Isle would be a good candidate to turn into a villain zone. Besides two TF contacts, there isn't really much going on there, and I don't think it's actually part of Paragon city. It could be pretty easy for villain groups to secure more of a foothold there and blockade access to it from Paragon with a little more effort.

Well, plus the whole contact chain to unlock one of the two TF contacts. But it would be appropriately villainous to take away the easiest way to get the hunts for the Atlas Medallion.

Better yet, remake all the zones to allow players of any type. Players from opposing sides would need to "flag" themselves as open to PvP in order to attack each other. Something similar to how WoW does it. Then, anyone could go anywhere.

I think it would be interesting to just have your status of villain/rogue/vig/hero be something that doesn't show up until someone tries to attack you. Might keep people on their toes when people start throwing around AoE powers in big groups. But that is just me. I don't think most people would go for that.

I just don't see why the populations are segregated the way they are anymore. It might have made sense years ago when it came out. When they were trying to go for some kind of PvP factions vibe, but I don't think that ever took hold in this game so probably should just concede defeat on that and let people go wherever. If they want to fight another player they can change a setting, like turning off bosses or setting no AV to EB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, siolfir said:

Well, plus the whole contact chain to unlock one of the two TF contacts. But it would be appropriately villainous to take away the easiest way to get the hunts for the Atlas Medallion.

Sure! But those contacts could easily be moved to another Council heavy zone, perhaps even Boomtown since it's in dire need of more content, and it lines up nicely with the Council Warworks factory thats already present!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

for the love of god HOW much work do you want to pile of the dev team?

and stealing hero zones isn't going to bring people red-side, making red-side suck less is the only thing that's going to do that

To be fair many of the blue-side hazard zones suffer the same problem, if not worse.

So it'd be killing two birds with one stone by re-purposing a hazard zone that's fallen by the wayside into a red-side zone with better content, plus it would require far FAR less work than making an entirely new zone.

3 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

To be fair many of the blue-side hazard zones suffer the same problem, if not worse.

So it'd be killing two birds with one stone by re-purposing a hazard zone that's fallen by the wayside into a red-side zone with better content, plus it would require far FAR less work than making an entirely new zone.

well the big killer with Kallisti has been populating it and making content for it, so I don't think you'd be saving much effort in the long run

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

2 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

well the big killer with Kallisti has been populating it and making content for it, so I don't think you'd be saving much effort in the long run

not immediately anyway, but I think shifting the contacts from Striga Isle to Boomtown would enhance upon the Council narrative that is already expanding into that area. Striga would then be left open as a good template to work some more villain material into the game, perhaps with the 5th Column reacquiring it from the Council and giving them some much needed presence red-side, opening it to villainous opportunities. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

and stealing hero zones isn't going to bring people red-side, making red-side suck less is the only thing that's going to do that

er @TraumaTrain that sounded far more vehement than I intended, I just meant the populating and adding content to a zone is a huge amount of work (which is why Khallisti is still a ghost town)

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

4 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

er @TraumaTrain that sounded far more vehement than I intended, I just meant the populating and adding content to a zone is a huge amount of work (which is why Khallisti is still a ghost town)

I love red side. I agree that, in general, it could use more content while blue side has a lot of content (zones, contacts) that often goes unused. I'd love to see more SFs red side. Another zone would be cool.

Heck, I'd like to see gold side get some lovin' too.

It's fun to fantasize and headspace what could be added or moved or how the overall story could progress.

I totally agree with you the amount of work it would take is too much. The Homecoming team has done so much already given that they're doing it for free in their own personal time.

Maybe one day we can have some of these cool ideas come to fruition. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I don't think it is true that remaking an existing zone is any less work than creating an entirely new one. IIRC I read a dev. interview from back in the day talking about the rework to Faultline and DA that said they discovered that do those was just as much work as making an entirely new zone from scratch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quixoteprog said:

I don't think it is true that remaking an existing zone is any less work than creating an entirely new one. IIRC I read a dev. interview from back in the day talking about the rework to Faultline and DA that said they discovered that do those was just as much work as making an entirely new zone from scratch.

plus taking things from the majority of players to give to the minority is never gonna fly

new villain zones fine, if you can convince the dev team there is enough player interest, taking things away from the rest, er no way, thats how you kill a game

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

8 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

Red side doesn't suck, its just empty.

That's why side switching became a thing.

Still putting limited resources into the least used side seems a bad use of resources 

Better off using volunteers or something.   

Just now, Haijinx said:

Red side doesn't suck, its just empty.

That's why side switching became a thing.

Still putting limited resources into the least used side seems a bad use of resources 

Better off using volunteers or something.   

it does to me, since I've been in HC I haven't been able to drag myself red side, there is not a single thing over there I remember enjoying

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

23 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

it does to me, since I've been in HC I haven't been able to drag myself red side, there is not a single thing over there I remember enjoying

Patron pool unlocks

That +3% damage perm temp power accolade-like buff 

Some of the Strike Forces are pretty awesome.  

Mongoose badge 

Veats

• Like 1

The other side of the Who will die story. 

Getting to beat up the Shining Stars.

Getting to beat up Manticore

Getting to beat up Manticore when he says you are in his way.

Getting to beat up Manticore when he says he will easily defeat you.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Patron pool unlocks

That +3% damage perm temp power accolade-like buff 

Some of the Strike Forces are pretty awesome.  

Mongoose badge 

Veats

not a fan of any of those things, well ok Mongoose badge, because BADGES, WE DO NEED STEENKING BADGES!

also veats don't require red side no more no more no more, no more!

Edited by boggo2300
inability to type veat

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

24 minutes ago, dangeraaron10 said:

Okay taking zones away from Heroes and giving them to Villains isn't going to make people that don't want to be a Villain suddenly want to become a Villain.  They're just going to get annoyed with Villain players and the HC team.

Exactly this! and as @quixoteprog said above (I remember the interview as well) re-doing a zone surprised the original dev's by being as time intensive as making zones from scratch

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

5 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Do we really need more zones though?   Just some new contacts and story arcs - preferably team friendly would be better. 

No we don't need new zones, yes, new contacts and story arcs are what should be concentrated on

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!