Atomic Manipulation

Hogunn

Ice / Atomic go well together. You very quickly have two quick cast single target ranged holds (1 in primary,1 in secondary) for controlling bosses and good damage output overall - I have mixed feeling about Bitter Freeze Ray due to the animation time - sometimes I'll open with it solo. I slot my primary holds for damage and secondary as normal holds. They are good for a blastroller or general blasting/blapping.  I wanted a blastroller so I have 4 ranged ST holds and an aoe hold between primary, secondary and ancillary abilities - bosses and eb's without ptod get locked down. Your sustain has regen, status resists and a recharge buff, it's great. My highest character is ice atomic (vetlev 53ish). It's a bit lacking in aoe but otherwise tears things up (blizzard and judgement help the aoe issues). If you play to incarnate and like the control and debuff aspects I'd recommend trying for your alpha T4, Intuition Radial Paragon which really meshes well with almost all your powers in primary and secondary and still has a damage boost. ( For all powers: Increases Hold Duration effects, Defense and ToHit DeBuff effects, Slow effects and Damage by 33%, and Range by 20%. )

• 2 weeks later
On 1/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, JasperStone said:

Rad/Atomic closing in on 50. Love it! uh..... epic pool choices though. 

Could use some help there.

I wanted a lot of my primary and took all my secondary powers so I went /mace. IMO scorpion shield is the best value for a single skill point of any epic pool.

/fire is very good if you're looking to invest more heavily.

57 minutes ago, oxmox said:

I wanted a lot of my primary and took all my secondary powers so I went /mace. IMO scorpion shield is the best value for a single skill point of any epic pool.

/fire is very good if you're looking to invest more heavily.

Mace was not an option, Munitions was. I should go villian for a Blaster to get that pool?

/e poofgone

10 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

Mace was not an option, Munitions was. I should go villian for a Blaster to get that pool?

Yes, you have to switch sides to either Rogue or Villain so that you can talk to Arbiter Rein in Grandville to start the redside patron arcs.  I recommend that you select Black Scorpion, as that tends to be the easiest/fastest to get to the AV/EB that unlocks the pool.  You do have to contend with some Malta along the way, but as long as you're careful about the Sappers, it's not that tough.  There's one "defeat all" mission that you can autocomplete to get it out of the way.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 1/10/2020 at 1:28 PM, HelenCarnate said:

Proc out the single target hold for some crazy damage from a low level attack.

I love my fire/atomic. 

I'd love to get a peak at your current build! Struggling with how to respec my lvl 50 fire/atomic. 

2 minutes ago, HelenCarnate said:

Last post is my most current build.

Literally just saw that post. That's what I git for not taking my time searching through other threads. Still, I appreciate your response! Was regretting not running a fore/fire blaster but I think reading some of these posts are making me feel better about my choice.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, Giocondi said:

I'd love to get a peak at your current build! Struggling with how to respec my lvl 50 fire/atomic. 

Though specifically with regards to filling your single target hold with damage procs, I don't think I would bother on a fire/rad. You have so many strong single target damage options already that I think slotting it with a hold set would probably be more valuable.

25 minutes ago, oxmox said:

Though specifically with regards to filling your single target hold with damage procs, I don't think I would bother on a fire/rad. You have so many strong single target damage options already that I think slotting it with a hold set would probably be more valuable.

My fastest pylon times were with using the hold with procs. 

I stand corrected. Do you remember your attack rotation offhand? I don't have access to any numbers right now but I'm having a hard time imagining it beating out blaze, blazing bolt, positronic fist, or whatever the earlier /atomic punch is called.

Positronic fist hits very hard but has a long cast time which sometimes leave the higher dpa attacks recharged and waiting to be used.  I just arranged my attacks in order of dpa and used the highest dpa attack that I had available at the time.   It also has the benefit of being able to use a jetpack to stay at range from AV melee attacks.  Now if I ever were to attempt to solo the LGTF I would buy some unslotters and swap the procs out for hold duration but the AOE hold on a 25 second CD has been plenty for me in every other situation.

Edited by HelenCarnate

• 3 weeks later
On 1/10/2020 at 1:28 PM, HelenCarnate said:

Proc out the single target hold for some crazy damage from a low level attack.

I love my fire/atomic. 

You got a pine's build for your fire/atom?  What epics?  Just curious.    I have one and love it, but like to see what others are doing with the build.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:44 PM, ScarySai said:

I want to say atomic is the best set to take if you want to stay pure ranged, but I haven't touched temporal or TA.

It's control and recharge/regen are pretty amazing.

You're totally right that Atomic has a lot to offer pure-range characters, but another option is /Energy Manipulation. With enough a little investment in Hasten or Recharge, you have Energize on perma (which drops endurance management to nearly no trouble at all and heals you on click), Boost Range to let you blast from a good chunk farther away, and Power Boost to amp a lost of secondary effects (like -def in Radiation, -End in Electric Blast, or -ToHit from Dark Blast). I enjoy my Dark/Energy Blaster a great deal, and I honestly skipped all of the blapping powers so I could laser-focus on ranged blasting and control from my primary. 

Edited by Mercurias
Typo :<

4 minutes ago, Mercurias said:

You're totally right that Atomic has a lot to offer pure-range characters, but another option is /Energy Manipulation. With enough a little investment in Hasten or Recharge, you have Energize on perma (which drops endurance management to nearly no trouble at all and heals you on click), Boost Range to let you blast from a good chunk farther away, and Power Boost to amp a lost of secondary effects (like -def in Radiation, -End in Electric Blast, or -ToHit from Dark Blast). I enjoy my Dark/Energy Blaster a great deal, and I honestly skipped all of the blapping powers so I could laser-focus on ranged blasting and control from my primary. 

Fun fact: I've made a Beam/TA to replace my beam/dev since making this post, and it's honestly next to /mental as my favorite blaster secondary.

Edited by ScarySai