Global Chat for LFG Sake

PennZephre

Sorry, thought you were looking for good sake, I know a good liquor store for that, but I don't know how to get people to use LFG chat rather than broadcast...

• Haha 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Indeed; and also on Everlasting, when someone does send a message which isn't a specific request for teaming in LFG, there's usually someone saying "take it to Help."  
I had heard talk that a Shard-specific General Chat Channel was considered, but since there seems to be some ardent adherents to using existing channels as General Chat, there's doubt as to how effective such a specific channel would be.  We certainly don't have the GMs necessary to remind players to keep channels for their intended purpose on Everlasting, let alone all of the Shards.

Meanwhile, /ac and /ma remain pretty much entirely disused on Everlasting.  How about on other Shards?  Does anyone, save perhaps Indomitable, use either of those Channels?  
If no one's using them on any Shard, perhaps as a community we can attempt to encourage everyone to use one of those as a General Chat?

Note:  Global Channels have been mentioned in regard to this matter frequently, but having to manually join them, maintain them with new characters, not having a short slash command associated with them, and having a limit of 15 total Global Channels per account (14, more like, since if you go for the full 15 then things start to get glitchy); using Globals is pretty much a non-starter solution.

And for clarity:
"Local" refers to the specific Local Channel, which is limited to 50 or 100 in-game feet.

"Zone-specific" refers to things like Broadcast and Request, which transmits to all players in a Zone.

"Shard-specific" refers to Help, LFG, Arena Chat, and Mission Architect Chat, which transmit to all players on a Shard (Everlasting, Indomitable, Torchbearer, et cetera).

and "Global" refers specifically to the channels which players need to either manually join or be invited to, which utilize a player's Global Chat Handle as opposed to their current character name.

What is so wrong with finding a group and getting help and talk about movies & such all in one channel?  If the chat window was scrolling so fast that you miss getting help or getting a team, then it's a problem, but I don't think we don't have that situation here.  If someone makes a off-topic, but amusing comment on LFG and I want to respond to with an amusing comment of my own in the same channel that's just good fun.  Community building and bonding is a big part of what makes online gaming a enjoyable experience.  As long as I'm not being vulgar or confrontational, if you tell me to stop, IMHO, you are the one being rude, not me.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Big picture.

If more start using LFG as "general random chat," then seeking a LFG post will be almost impossible to find among the other messages. The game has other alternatives to random chat.

"Without order there is chaos."

Edited by PennZephre
  • Like 1