How I feel about Excelsior Hamidon Raids

Dev7on

Hehe....the last Hamidon Raid I participated in, Marut on Champion led and I may have led the blaster team.  If any of you know that name, you know how freaking long ago that was.

As far as the subject at hand - login your 50 in the Hive at 9:30 pm or however early you need to, to claim your 1-50 spot. 

Edited by tafilr

On 1/31/2020 at 9:14 AM, Rathulfr said:

Not that many of us from the old days really care that much about Hamidon in the first place.  Back in the day, nobody really cared about Hamidon.  Hamidon is a relic of the "early days" of CoH, prior to us getting the shiny new IOs and Incarnate stuff.  Sure, there were a few that did Hamidon occasionally, but that was the exception rather than the rule.  I think I did Hamidon maybe once or twice in the 8 years of retail, because it was more trouble than it was worth.  But since Homecoming made Hamidon worthwhile, I've probably done Hamidon about a half a dozen times in the past 9 months.

I agree.  I don't understand this Hami-mania some people seem to have.   I've seen arguments about people trying to form stuff when THE ALL IMPORTANT Hami-raid is forming.  Like the entire server should stop and wait until it is over.  Or complaints, like this post, where people whine about how it's to hard to get in.  I only do Hami about once a week at most, and I could do it 20+ times per week since the daily runs are during my normal play hours.  Frankly, the rewards/minute aren't that great and it's really just middle of the road in terms of fun/minute.  Heck, just the other day, I was standing there on the staging point with Hami spawned and about to start and I decided to quit to join a Market Crash TF cause it just sounded more fun to me.  

I'm not saying that Hami sucks.  I just don't understand why some people care so much.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

I agree.  I don't understand this Hami-mania some people seem to have.   I've seen arguments about people trying to form stuff when THE ALL IMPORTANT Hami-raid is forming.  Like the entire server should stop and wait until it is over.  Or complaints, like this post, where people whine about how it's to hard to get in.  I only do Hami about once a week at most, and I could do it 20+ times per week since the daily runs are during my normal play hours.  Frankly, the rewards/minute aren't that great and it's really just middle of the road in terms of fun/minute.  Heck, just the other day, I was standing there on the staging point with Hami spawned and about to start and I decided to quit to join a Market Crash TF cause it just sounded more fun to me.  

I'm not saying that Hami sucks.  I just don't understand why some people care so much.

I've seen those arguments as well.  It makes no sense.  Only 50 people can participate in a Hamidon raid at a time, and there are several hundred people on Excelsior every evening.  What are the 650 other people supposed to do during that hour?  Twiddle their thumbs?

I tanked a five person Hamidon raid on a Regen Brute a couple of months ago.  That was the last of Hamidon that I want to see outside of the LGTF for a long, long time.  Even then, I was never really a fan of Hamidon raids, even though I helped lead them on the Champion and Exalted servers prior to sunset.

I know many of my friends think that I'm coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs for this (among many other reasons I'm sure), but my favorite thing to do in the game is a Rikti mothership raid.  I'll take one of those over a Hamidon raid any day.

Edited by Apparition

To each their own. I love the hami raid. It’s one of my favorite encounters in the game. I was on justice server back in the day and we raided hamidon all the time.

I don’t see any reason though why it should affect anybody else on the server who isn’t playing the raid. 

34 minutes ago, sacredlunatic said:

To each their own. I love the hami raid. It’s one of my favorite encounters in the game. I was on justice server back in the day and we raided hamidon all the time.

I don’t see any reason though why it should affect anybody else on the server who isn’t playing the raid. 

It shouldn't, but it sometimes makes it more difficult to form other big events at the same time. Although, that was much more of an issue when the zone cap was higher. 

Like you said, to each their own. I'm not here to tell anyone how to have fun. 

It is a public zone, What are they suppose to  do, let it fill up and stand around until 10.  I run this pretty regular.  Usually once the league fills, they run the raid.  Common sense rules again.  Also thanks to the crew that run this every night.  Well Done. 

On 2/7/2020 at 9:55 AM, Shred Monkey said:

It may not be the most interesting thing to do, but 160 merits for less than an hour of effort is pretty attractive. For many of the regulars it's also a social event.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

It seems to me there is a "cost of admission" to some things in the game. If you *really* want to participate in Hami's, you may need to show up ultra early and zone sit. If that part of the game is so appealing to you, and running one yourself seems daunting, that's just the cost of admission for that event right now. Once there is an instanced version maybe that goes away, but maybe it doesn't.

• Like 2

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

yeah same on Torch.

I dont even bother doing the Hamis anymore, too much aggravation to rush home from work only to be locked out of the zone. Theres no getting in the zone early or any of that other stuff, the raid starts around the very earliest I could get home so I used to just jump in on round 2 or whatever in the second league but now the zones always full and locked so hami is dead to me.

And to all the "just start your own", theres rarely enough interest in another round of 3 raids after people have done the first round of 3 and are moving on to other things.

So it is what it is, I just dont do hamis anymore, where I used to be able to get one or two runs in most nights and participate in the broadcast zone chatter. Oh well, but still not agreeing with the change, it ruined a pretty fun inclusive event and made it a chore. But again. It is what it is.

35 minutes ago, Jaguaratron said:

Original hami raids were an epic lagfest but they were a fantastic social event, when they revamped the hamidon and made it a 50 person formulaic snoozefest a part of the game was lost. I dont understand why anyone would want to do current hamidon but to each their own.

Yeah, it really is a to each their own thing.  I vastly prefer the new version of the raid, but I agree it is frustrating getting locked out.

16 hours ago, Sakai said:

Can you use the Market there?  That may help alleviate some of the boredom. 

Yes you can. With a portable workbench and market access you can be busy during the wait time.

• Thanks 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

11 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Yeah, it really is a to each their own thing.  I vastly prefer the new version of the raid, but I agree it is frustrating getting locked out.

I have to agree that the old raid needed to be fixed. The zerging of hami made the whole thing a sorry joke. All the time was spent summoning him, and then he died like a skul to a lvl 50 blaster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1