The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

DM/EA and surviving the alpha strike

biostem

So I have a DM/EA brute that I rather like, but I have a problem surviving alpha strikes while teaming.  I took & slotted up tough and weave, but my survivability just seems lacking.  Dampening field and energy protection are 3-slotted with RES IOs.  I use energy drain to further bolster my defense, and reply upon energize and siphon life to keep my HP topped off.  In a protracted battle, I can do just fine.  It's that initial strike where all enemies attack at once, that does me in.  I'm only using generic IOs ATM.  I use energy cloak and a stealth IO to allow me to get very close.  Any suggestions or other advice?  Thanks for reading!

Can you attach your mids build?

Also, at level 50 and with IOs you should have no problem hitting the def soft cap 45% for all damage types except psy.  

In iTrials you'll need to focus on your resists more than defence because defence buffs are usually plentiful while resist buffs aren't, and because def soft cap is 59% for itrials, which renders some of the Energy Aura set (the defence parts) not as useful as resist-based armour like Electric Armour.

If you're still leveling to 50.  Give it time.  Outside of iTrials, Energy Aura makes you neigh invincible except versus psy damage

• Thanks 1

I had similar results with my SS/EA Brute back on Live.  If I was point with my Brute, I'd die a lot.  I had to rely on team buffs/debuffs.   I mostly also had generic IOs in my build.  Got tired of trying to take the Alpha so I let my friend's SS/INV Brute run point.  This was also before they added the heal. 

Edited by tafilr

On 2/19/2020 at 8:24 PM, biostem said:

So I have a DM/EA brute that I rather like, but I have a problem surviving alpha strikes while teaming.  I took & slotted up tough and weave, but my survivability just seems lacking.  Dampening field and energy protection are 3-slotted with RES IOs.  I use energy drain to further bolster my defense, and reply upon energize and siphon life to keep my HP topped off.  In a protracted battle, I can do just fine.  It's that initial strike where all enemies attack at once, that does me in.  I'm only using generic IOs ATM.  I use energy cloak and a stealth IO to allow me to get very close.  Any suggestions or other advice?  Thanks for reading!

Here is a bare bones build of Brute Anything/Energy Aura.  Because it's largely a defense set that needs good slotting to reach the softcap for each damage type (except psy) your early levels and levels without IOs will indeed be painful. 

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: Dark Melee
Secondary Power Set: Energy Aura
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Kinetic Shield -- Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Rct-Def(5), Rct-Def/EndRdx(7), Rct-ResDam%(7), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Rct-Def/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Dampening Field -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(13), GldArm-3defTpProc(13), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(15)
Level 4: Power Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(15), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17)
Level 6: [Empty]
Level 8: Super Speed -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 10: Entropic Aura -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), UnbGrd-ResDam(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21)
Level 16: Energy Protection -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(27), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(27)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(19), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(19)
Level 20: Energy Cloak -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(29), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25)
Level 26: [Empty]
Level 28: [Empty]
Level 30: [Empty]
Level 32: [Empty]
Level 35: [Empty]
Level 38: [Empty]
Level 41: [Empty]
Level 44: [Empty]
Level 47: [Empty]
Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5)
Level 0: Invader
Level 0: High Pain Threshold
Level 0: Born In Battle
Level 0: Marshal
------------

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

Here is a bare bones build of Brute Anything/Energy Aura.  Because it's largely a defense set that needs good slotting to reach the softcap for each damage type (except psy) your early levels and levels without IOs will indeed be painful. 

TY Obus Form.  I'm only about level 40 ATM, so am only using generic IOs.  I play far too casually and suffer from too much alt-itis to probably get fully kitted out with IO sets, but I do appreciate the advice.  Thanks!

On 2/21/2020 at 10:23 PM, Obus Form said:

In this one build you have more defense than me with an entire build slotted. You sir are extremely good at building. I would love to work with you one day on some builds.

You can get your softcap without even Weave if I recall correctly, but not on generic IOs. I think someone asked this over the Scrapper forums and I threw a level 28 build that was softcapped with just the two +3% defense uniques and the rest generic IOs.

7 hours ago, Sovera said:

You can get your softcap without even Weave if I recall correctly, but not on generic IOs. I think someone asked this over the Scrapper forums and I threw a level 28 build that was softcapped with just the two +3% defense uniques and the rest generic IOs.

Actually, generic IOs would be even better than the Luck of the Gambler: Global Recharge because the LotG Global Recharge only adds a small amount of defense.

With my build above, you hit 44.5% S/L.  If we replaced each LotG 7.5 global with generic Defense IOs, I do think you could hit 45% S/L softcap easier.  But also, I don't have any attacks slotted in my build.  If you use the Melee-damage from the winter set. you get 5% from 5-slotting.  If you use Brute Fury (fist icon) ATO, you also get 5% S/L from 3-slotting.  I haven't slotted any of those, so the "bare bones" build above allows choice of a primary power set.

Edited by Obus Form
Grammar

4 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

Actually, generic IOs would be even better than the Luck of the Gambler: Global Recharge because the LotG Global Recharge only adds a small amount of defense.

With my build above, you hit 44.5% S/L.  If we replaced each LotG 7.5 global with generic Defense IOs, I do think you could hit 45% S/L softcap easier.  But also, I don't have any attacks slotted in my build.  If you use the Melee-damage from the winter set. you get 5% from 5-slotting.  If you use Brute Fury (fist icon) ATO, you also get 5% S/L from 3-slotting.  I haven't slotted any of those, so the "bare bones" build above allows to choose a primary power set.

The +3% defense uniques, @Obus, the Steadfast and Gladiator.

Edit: Went to look at it and no, it was just 33% ish defense by level 24-25 which is still decent with a purple insps. Though it was meant for another thread and a different topic.

Edited by Sovera

• 3 months later

EA is a great set once you slot a few bonuses. On my Staff / EA it took til about level 35 when I had a few sets of Kinetic Combats slotted in alongside the ATOs and Fighting + the two +3% uniques. Then it clicked and I never looked back. It's not weak but it is a little late blooming. 

2/3 sets of Kinetic Combat will set you right up, giving you 3.75% smashing / lethal per set on top of your regular shields (remember as you add defense each extra % of defense becomes more and more valuable, til you hit 45).