Spider-Man - Build.

Hablaguy287

Spider-Man is among heroes that has rather interesting take on the idea of what he could be used or playable in City of Heroes in terms of build wise, Spider-Man more often than not has been compared to Scrapper as the perfect definition of what his archetype would be in build wise and play style to it. Usually that's subjective but I will share my view on how an 'exact' Spider-Man build would be in City of Heroes. The builds can be in many ways, because of the beauty of City of Heroes giving us plenty of freedom, it gave us also the plenty of choices we could pick if we were to make a Spider-Man Build.

First,

Spider-Man's strength has been viewed differently from among different writers on how they view his strength in terms of characteristics and ways that it conveys, he possesses superhuman strength duo to basically do exactly what a spider would do in their porportionate size. Spider-Man can lift around 10 tons in normal condition of his strength with ease, but shown to push his strength further in times of stress or great motivations or emotional moments. Spider-Man's agility has been viewed as 'insanely' fast to the point he can dodge gunfire with no issues without using his Spider-Sense once. He even fought many powerful characters such as Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, and even Firelord who has shown to destroy planets and defeated him.

With all that gathered, the best description of Spider-Man would be a Dodge Tank. Mainly because of the feats has shown to demostrate insane levels of abilities he has accomplished without use of often in-need of a adrenaline rush unless lifting something very heavy. So the best archetype for this is Tanker, Tanker gives Spider-Man build exactly what I hoped for and can be used in many ways of being a tanker without trying to be heavily based on being a 'bulky' type or mighty-like if knowing what powers to pick.

Power wise, many would commonly pick Martial Arts for it, but despite being not really the 'right' choice in my opinion and mainly because how it doesn't fit him exactly that much. The best of two powers is either Street Justice or Super Strength. Street Justice gives you the vibe from Spider-Man being street-level and a heavy hitter that nobody should be messing around with, a good choice but most recommended is to pick Super Strength, mainly because it would work if handled in a good way, thankfully, the customization will allow you to pick different animation to seem-less bulky type and slow but more straight-forward like how Spider-Man is in combative wise.

Secondary wise would be to pick Super Reflexes, this is the most important use to pick because it compliments the build and also gives you the idea of being 'dodgey' while being a tank. With 'Focused Senses' it can be immediately the best choice for Spider-Sense that easily further compliments what you aim exactly for. This gives you the option to fight-on while avoiding attacks which Spider-Man has been viewed numerous times.

Costume is up to you, so you do what you like.

Now, Power Pools wise is more fun where you have the plenty of options to pick from to further increases the build. The best first choice is Leaping Pool, mainly because it further helps Super Reflexes and the acrobatics that Spider-Man carries with the characteristics such as agility. Super Jump is also included to give you the impression of him 'swinging' due to lacking of Swinging Travel power. Second is to pick Presence Pool, Spider-Man has been famous for his wisecracking personalities with jokes taunting his enemies. Presence gives you what you aim for that helps the group as well to distract which something Spider-Man is good at. Other Power Pool that is optional is to pick Speed Pool, only pick view that matters mostly in combative ways, such as Flurry and Hasten will come in handy for Spider-Man to deal with.

For Ancillary Power Pools, two ones that I recommend is Energy Mastery or Arctic Mastery. Energy Mastery is to pick Physical Perfection for Spider-Man's metabolism and durability and Focused Accuracy to always be right at the target when facing his enemies. If you pick Arctic Mastery, you can pretend it's your webbing that you use to 'web' your enemies up. I recommend picking Chillblain and Block of Ice which allows you to immoblize and slow your enemies down, you can color them and make them greyish or white to pretend it's webbing.

If you do a mission to face Lord Recluse's behalf, you will gain the option to get Patron Power Pools, most recommended is to pick Mace Mastery, this will give you literally webbing that you aim for. I recommend picking Web Envelope and Focused Accuary for obvious reasons to get web-shooters for the guy.

Now you can give him Ninja Run for agility purposes as for Travel Power wise.

This list should give you the definitive Spider-Man build, of course you can go with Scrapper if you like, but I heavily recommend go with Tanker to further get the build for Spider-Man, hell you can be take another archetype to create somewhat like a Spider-Man build, but that should be it! Enjoy!

My only problem is the mention of mace mastery as SM carries no weapons. (Webshooters aren't weapons.) Based on the fight he had with Firelord, I would have to go SS/SR or StJ/SR brute as it takes him flying off the handle to push past his normal power levels. I dig the post overall though. Hulk, Spidey and Wolverine were always my favs.

10 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

My only problem is the mention of mace mastery as SM carries no weapons. (Webshooters aren't weapons.) Based on the fight he had with Firelord, I would have to go SS/SR or StJ/SR brute as it takes him flying off the handle to push past his normal power levels. I dig the post overall though. Hulk, Spidey and Wolverine were always my favs.

I am aware that Web-Shooters aren't weapon per say, but it has usually been seeing that he can construct his webbings to be more dangerous at times and can be used as a weapon when he's pissed off such as almost webbing Kingpin's throat to his lunges to the point he's about to die horribly. While Scrapper is a good choice still, Spider-Man to me would fit among closely to Tanker archetype despite viewing him as a 'dodge tank' who can fight hard but dodge attacks that are proven to be fatal. Scrapper would work too if they would've added super strength as well in it.

• Like 1

Electrical Mastery or Mu for electric cages/ball lightening shouldn't be off the table if you're wanting a more Miles Morales/Jessica Drew vibe with their bio-electric powers.  May be a bit too flashy but felt it was worth bringing up. 

Current version of Peter Parker can lift 25 tons and for a time during an arc it was 30 tons.  Spider-man is noted to have a minor healing factor.  His category there is "enhanced" and he is capable of regularly recovering from severe injuries far far fast than normal persons.  His healing isn't in the same realm as Deadpool, Wolverine, or Sabertooth (or other primary "regenerators). 

This can give a good excuse for pursuing Willpower on Scrappers if you like as they don't get the truly absurd levels of regen that Tankers can get due to pushing HP.  Heightened Senses as a power is a fair stand in for Danger Sense. 

I wouldn't write MA either since you can change some of the kicks to punches.  Eagles Claw, as ridiculous as it is, fits in my own conceptual view of an acrobatic combat style.  Street Justice, Super Strength, or others are still great ideas.

• 2 months later

The truth is, Spider-man is a solo character and therefore has to be able to fill every role at various times.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but we all know that Spider-Man would be closest to being a dominator, since he mostly tries to do crowd control and uses both melee and ranged attacks as a back-up.  He could get defense from both fighting and leaping powers.. but the reality is that too many people just don't want us recreating Spider-Man in this game, so we will never accurately be able to do that.

24 minutes ago, Hardboiled Hero said:

The truth is, Spider-man is a solo character and therefore has to be able to fill every role at various times.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but we all know that Spider-Man would be closest to being a dominator, since he mostly tries to do crowd control and uses both melee and ranged attacks as a back-up.  He could get defense from both fighting and leaping powers.. but the reality is that too many people just don't want us recreating Spider-Man in this game, so we will never accurately be able to do that.

Spider-Mans signature ability of web-slinging is just so incredibly unique to him, that it's really hard to replicate in a video game without possible legal trouble.  However, his basic powers of agility, and martial arts are easily covered by a combo of  Martial Arts +  Super Reflexes (or Ninjitsu).  

Personally, I'd get a little more creative and go with a spider-man homage build using a Bane Spider.  So not exactly Peter Parker of Earth 616, but an alternate version .  That way you get your Spider themed gadgets (webs and spider bots) mixed in with some melee attacks.  So more like the "Superior" version of Spidey, but in the COX universe instead of Marvel. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tjknight said:

Spider-Mans signature ability of web-slinging is just so incredibly unique to him, that it's really hard to replicate in a video game without possible legal trouble.  However, his basic powers of agility, and martial arts are easily covered by a combo of  Martial Arts +  Super Reflexes (or Ninjitsu).  

That's actually what I was thinking too.. "web-slinging", if not completely unique to Spider-Man.. is at least unique to spider-themed heroes, of which Spider-Man is the most prominent.  Or at least that's what I was thinking when I wrote that post..

It's kind of ironic though, given that the effects of "web-slinging" aren't really unique at all. Spider-man uses his "web-slinging" to create swing-lines and ropes to tie people up, as well as nets to entangle them. He wraps web around peoples' eyes to blind them. or around their weapons to disarm them, or around their feet to stop people from running.  All of these are things that people have done with rope and nets for thousands of years.  Considering how often people have been asking for a more "natural" control/manipulation set, it seems odd when I think about it, that there isn't a rope/nets set in the game.  Given that Spider-Man is hardly the first character in history to use such methods of control, it actually seems unlikely that it doesn't exist because of any fear of copyright problems..  I actually wonder if they were more concerned about it being too "graphic", since bondage is a thing that actually exists in the world.. but then they have guns, which bother a lot of people.

Web grenade comes with devices for blaster, traps for corruptors, defenders, & masterminds, weapon mastery for scrappers & stalkers.
You can get wide area web grenade as an arachnos soldier.
Web cocoon is available for bane spiders, as well as in mastery pools for blasters, brutes, corruptors, defenders, masterminds, & scrappers.
Web envelope is available in mastery pools for arachnos soldiers, widows, corruptors, defenders, masterminds, tanks, brutes, blasters, & sentinels.

Blasters, corruptors, defenders, masterminds, & bane soldiers can therefore get three web attacks.

So I'm thinking, go with a Rad/Dev/Mace Blaster and go as Cosmic Spidey... or maybe a Bane Spider as the Iron Spider (although a crab would look more the part)?

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Turn the electricity black, to minimize glow.  And he uses his webbing to control foes more than damage, so I figure dominator.  It even fits if you look at domination as his burst of determination when the fight drags on, that allow him to snare fools that were giving him trouble or shake off their attempts to stop him.

• 2 weeks later
On 5/15/2020 at 7:30 PM, Vulpoid said:

There is a MA/SR scrapper on Excelsior that comes pretty close...

spidcohpic3.jpg

What are we looking at here? A photoshopped Spidey?

Edited by xl8

It is 6 texture mods. Mask, Gloves Chest, Chest Detail, Belt and Boots. You can drop new textures in the Data folder in your install directory.
They only appear client side, Only you and others with the mods see the new textures.
You look pretty silly/ugly to the majority of the server.

spiderbackpic1.jpg

Edited by Vulpoid