Are SoA IOs anygood?

Fista

I'm a filthy casual and they look meh to me so before I burn my hard earned merits I'd like some input.

Because there is a city in the Midwest that is continually threatened by a silver backed gorilla and is protected by a man who can run faster than the speed of light.

yes, they're good. not the best of the ATOs but (at least if they're catalyzed to superior) probably better than whatever else you'd put in 2 powers. but I suppose you could do without them if the bonuses don't appeal to you. at minimum though you'd want to put the spider's bite global toxic damage proc somewhere.

If you do decide to slot them try to put the dominion proc in an aoe if you can. also not recommended to use merits for them - much better bang for merit buck to use the merits to buy converters, sell those, then buy the IOs.

• Like 1

The toxic damage proc works on all your attacks, so it's very good value as you can slot it anywhere and all your attacks benefit from it. 

The fear proc only works in the power it's slotted in, but I think it's worth getting and slotting into an AoE as damage mitigation. 

The set bonuses for both are pretty good all round.

Veelectric Boogaloo is right about the merits - it's much better value to buy converters or booster (or basically anything) and sell it then use the inf to buy ATOs off the auction house. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

If you are only slotting one: the Spider's Bite: Global % Toxic is worth slotting for the reasons mentioned. The %Terrorize gets different mileage depending on how many villains you face at a single time. It should always be in some sort of AoE, but if you are facing small groups the effect will be less noticeable. The extra recharge can be a good thing depending on other slotting.

One some of my VEAT, I try to slot both sets. Dominion of Arachnos gets 5 slots, and Spider's Bite gets at least 4 slots. Here is my notes:

• Some VEAT can have trouble closing the gap on (positional) Melee defense, the 4-slot (Superior) Spider's Bite goes a long way there.
  • When going for MAXIMUM +RECHARGE, it is possible of some VEAT builds to get the +10% Global Recharge from five other non-ATO purple slotting, so the NON-SUPERIOR DoA can give +8.75 Global Recharge, which is one of the "rarer" amounts of Global Recharge.
  • Depending on which powers you pick for your VEAT, it can be easy or hard to get different offensive power sets which scale with you as you exemplar/level up. It's nice to have the extra options for those slots.

I have a selfish wish for the VEAT ATOs: I wish they could be slotted in the Epic Patron Power pools. The Patron attacks are at a level range where there are several good choices for 5-slot sets, but I almost always find myself wishing that the 6th slot could take one of the ATO procs.

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 4:49 PM, Fista said:

I'm a filthy casual and they look meh to me so before I burn my hard earned merits I'd like some input.

Well don't directly BUY them with merits!

Take your merits and buy converters and boosters and sell them for fat cash on the auction house and then buy the Soldier ATOs for cash.

100 merits = 20 boosters, boosters sell for 1.5 mil each most of the time so you can either use 100 merits to buy one ATO, or 100 merits to buy 20 boosters and make ~30 million influence and buy 3, 4 if you get lucky and the ATO price is low that day.

Edited by Erydanus

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Slotting my huntsman, I concentrated on making him very tanky. This left very few slots available for the AR and nades. the ATOs were the biggest bang for your buck for 2 slots. And I couldn't really up the damage too much even when investing slots in the attacks, so I left them 2 each with 4 DoA in burst. Terrorize I put in the AR AoE (name escapes me right now). 

Then I put a bunch of purples and PvPs in Reinforcements and Summon Striker + the other Mu epic attacks.

• 4 weeks later
On 3/9/2020 at 9:37 AM, Erydanus said:

100 merits = 20 boosters, boosters sell for 1.5 mil each most of the time so you can either use 100 merits to buy one ATO, or 100 merits to buy 20 boosters and make ~30 million influence and buy 3, 4 if you get lucky and the ATO price is low that day.

Brilliant! Why have I never thought of this...

I have one.. full defense cap. Almost all pets next to perma. I think its pretty cool.