Yellow Salvage Prices

Herotu

12 hours ago, Coyote said:

Just to note... we ARE talking about yellow snow.... I mean salvage here, right? This is being manipulated, apparently, to push up its price by about 10-15k per item. Considering that most recipes will use 1-2 yellow items, maybe 3 at the high end.... this is going to cost someone crafting an IO about 45k more. Consider the cost of a single rare salvage in the recipe, and also the cost of crafting a recipe once you're in the 30s and.... does it really look like this particular manipulation is going to have characters broke where before they had enough money to craft all their recipes?

The discussion is interesting. The puzzle of who is doing it, and why, and how, also seems interesting. But let's not take it too seriously and get too upset about it... it's peanuts even for your first character.

Pretty much. I saw what was going on earlier, laughed and just put up some of the salvage I have saved and bought some at that high price on other characters.

Literally what they are putting it up for can be made by anyone in minutes if they simply casually browse the market forum.

Not seeing the issue here. /shrug.

19 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Only issue for me is I don't like bid creeping, it annoys me. Personally I'd be content if there was a buy now button for the salvage for a recipe that bought each piece of salvage for 1 million influence, just so I could I press less buttons. 

Essentially, though, a buyout button would imply bid timing, bid amount and bid expiration, like WoW's auction house.

I believe the CoH /AH already is a buyout system already, except everyone got different buyout prices.

• 2 weeks later
On 3/18/2020 at 8:59 AM, Coyote said:

Just to note... we ARE talking about yellow snow.... I mean salvage here, right? This is being manipulated, apparently, to push up its price by about 10-15k per item. Considering that most recipes will use 1-2 yellow items, maybe 3 at the high end.... this is going to cost someone crafting an IO about 45k more. Consider the cost of a single rare salvage in the recipe, and also the cost of crafting a recipe once you're in the 30s and.... does it really look like this particular manipulation is going to have characters broke where before they had enough money to craft all their recipes?

The discussion is interesting. The puzzle of who is doing it, and why, and how, also seems interesting. But let's not take it too seriously and get too upset about it... it's peanuts even for your first character.

It's only peanuts when you spend your time in the game figuring out how the economy works and how to manipulate it in order to afford the salvage and recipes. That is NOT what I want to do in playing City of Heroes and back before Issue 9 on live I found it very refreshing to NOT have to play that obnoxious game of pretend-economy that is always utterly whacked out of proportion because of the needs and desires of the people playing level 50 characters letting the players of level 10 characters simply lump it until they can catch up.  THESE DAYS, COH has so many things that can be done to "play the market" but is that REALLY the game you want to play - a PMM (pretend market manipulation) instead of a MMO?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrNotorion said:

It's only peanuts when you spend your time in the game figuring out how the economy works and how to manipulate it in order to afford the salvage and recipes. That is NOT what I want to do in playing City of Heroes and back before Issue 9 on live I found it very refreshing to NOT have to play that obnoxious game of pretend-economy that is always utterly whacked out of proportion because of the needs and desires of the people playing level 50 characters letting the players of level 10 characters simply lump it until they can catch up.  THESE DAYS, COH has so many things that can be done to "play the market" but is that REALLY the game you want to play - a PMM (pretend market manipulation) instead of a MMO?

For quite a few people, the answer to your question is: "Yes."

I'm not much of a marketer, but I do appreciate that playing the market is among the many different, valid, ways of playing CoH.  It's nice to be able to get a nice chunk of change for being smart about how I sell my drops.  I won't go out of my way to "farm" or "flip" for Inf, but I will try to "buy low and sell high", which is about as complicated as it gets, for me.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

32 minutes ago, MrNotorion said:

It's only peanuts when you spend your time in the game figuring out how the economy works and how to manipulate it in order to afford the salvage and recipes.

It's. Peanuts.

I'm not talking from the point of view of someone who marketeers or farms, I do neither of those. You know what I do? I craft the recipes that drop on my characters, use the merits that the character earned to convert the crafted IOs to more valuable ones, and sell them. No farming, no marketeering, just selling what I get while playing mission arcs. You know what?

1: I'm right now looking at a Level 42 character, who is basically fully IO'd out right now. I haven't yet had to start spending for purples, but otherwise I have LotGs and other good IOs, and I have over 100 million on the character. All. From. Drops.

2: You average at least an orange salvage per level. One orange is about 500 thousand. As I pointed out, we're looking at about 12-25k that this yellow salvage manipulation is costing players, per crafted IO. You'll craft about 60 IOs when you fill out the character, if you craft everything yourself, so that's about 1.5 million in total. Considering that you should easily get 25 or so million from just salvage drops if you sell all the orange ones... this is a very small cost.

Even if you're looking to fill out a level 17 character with level 20 crafted IOs, and the price change has caused them to average 100k per IO (unlikely) rather than 50k... you're still probably looking to spend maybe 2 million. On the high end. Have you been so unlucky that you haven't found 3-4 orange salvages yet? Maybe, but it's unlikely... and what about the money from merits, if you ran story arcs up to 17?

Look, not everyone has the money to fully build their dream build, I understand that. But to say that the price of these particular salvage items is making a difference for anyone, doesn't make sense. You don't need marketing skills to sell oranges, or use merits, and sell everything at normal cost, no buying and reselling or any tricks, in order to have several millions in your 20s even if you start with scratch. And several millions is more than these yellow salvage prices would affect a fully-IO'd level 50, much less someone in the 20s.

So, in the end, this particular market manipulation is a matter of peanuts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MrNotorion said:

The best part about this rant? Is that the thrust of it (that somehow the market is ruining people's gameplay) is completely wrong. You can still play the game just fine without ever stepping into the market, period. It's those that want the MOST "1337 g34r" that might need to play the market to get the BEST, most valuable enhancements. If you don't care about that? Meh, the game works just as well now as it did in 2004 for the casual player - if not better. Because now casual players have the choice of either:

1. Ignoring the market entirely, and sell drops to vendors,
  2. Stepping in to the market just as long as necessary to dump everything they have acquired for 5 Influence, when their salvage and recipe slots are full, and get a pleasant bonus of a bunch of FREE INFLUENCE, or,
  3. Get involved in the market and enjoy raking in tons of free influence, for not very much effort.

The choice, as always, is up to the player.

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 2
I'm out.

2 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Have you been so unlucky that you haven't found 3-4 orange salvages yet?

Or a hundred yellow salvages that you can magically sell in order to buy the couple of yellow salvages you need? 

I swear, if yellow salvage went to zero, then people would come out of the woodwork complaining about how they couldn't sell them for anything anymore.

Who run Bartertown?

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Or a hundred yellow salvages that you can magically sell in order to buy the couple of yellow salvages you need? 

I swear, if yellow salvage went to zero, then people would come out of the woodwork complaining about how they couldn't sell them for anything anymore.

I don't think, here or on the old forums, I've ever seen anyone complain that they were losing money on their drops because prices have fallen.  I'm not sure why, but people only ever seem to see how much inf they have to spend, not how much they can make.  I guess it makes some sense if you doorsit your character to 50 in AE on double XP and then emerge blinking into the light of Atlas Park and try to buy a full high-end build.  But for any non-PL levelling experience, high yellow prices are a good thing!

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 3/11/2020 at 7:47 PM, MunkiLord said:

You still don't know that, you are guessing because it fits your narrative and perceptions. It very well could be a bug in drops, less casual players generating supply while more dedicated players keep demand about the same, or whatever other reason people want to give and don't have any actual evidence to prove.

To demonstrate how seriously I take your concerns and complaints, I would like to introduce you to Bung, my Dark/Earth Dominator that now owns all Serendipity enhancements on the market.

image.thumb.png.bfed159079b8065785bb09457f5ff492.png

I'll gladly sell them back to you!

I picked up all the enhancements just now and relisted all 110 for 1 influence each. I spent 1,092,385,071‬ buying these and after market fees they all sold for  107,919,700 total. For a net profit of - 984,465,371! I'm basically a financial genius. If anyone needs real life fiscal advice, and really hates making money, I'm your man.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/12/2020 at 1:00 AM, MunkiLord said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4996013

edit: Who wants influence? Post your global and I'll randomly send it to people for my own amusement.

If the offer still stands feel free to drop some to my partner @Andromeda, we've just returned to the game and recreating her old builds is going to be pricey!

38 minutes ago, RCU7115 said:

Around the beginning of the year Uncommon/Yellow salvage was still selling for 1k if I remember correctly. It's only been about 2 months that it went from 5k to 20k.

In May 2019 (when I joined) yellow salvage regularly undulated between 1-10k.