Development Philosophy and Community Servers

Septipheran

14 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

As with all relationships/communication in life:

There's no point to being right if nobody listens/follows.

I'm not sure if this is 100% wrong or 100% in regards to being a parent, but it's one of those two for sure.

To stay on track with the thread's discourse- I have a hard time getting ruffled up about anything that happens here.

This game straight up died. No más. Finite.

And we're back here? Cool beans man! 

Is it perfect? Of course not. But it's free (unless you donate, which you're still donating and not being charged) and run by people who do this for fun/love/sense of duty/boredom. 

If I hate the way it's being run here, I'll go somewhere else. We've got options in other servers with different styles of running things. All the kicking and screaming is better done with your feet- if you don't like it, go somewhere else. I'm not saying don't voice your opinion, but getting worked up about anything that happens here is inordinately silly and the internet as a whole is full of silly shit. I'm sure there are many people here doing the respectful discourse thing, but TL;DR to most of it.

And now, I've contributed to TL:DR.

What on earth am I doing? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Septipheran said:

However, when it comes to end game, everyone should have sufficient survivability and recharge built into their builds already.

I mean, if you get down to the nitty gritty of what "everyone" "should" have (which probably implies you're talking about full teams/leagues, which is a set of assumptions in itself), then everyone *should* deal at least 200 DPS and more likely anywhere from 300-700 DPS, solo.

So when you're looking at a full team which *should* deal 2000+ DPS before any force multiplying is added, then -regen is a pretty paltry debuff to bring. Playing on +4 will only cut that DPS by a third (because everyone is alphashifted) and +4 AVs only have about 35k HP. If you do the math, that's give or take 20 seconds of survival. Maybe one tick of regeneration, if that. Only -res really matters here. Which makes sonic a better support powerset than rad, especially as half of its -res can be anchored on a teammate and has 0 opportunity cost.

But OK, in all seriousness. There's a wide range of performance in this game. Picking an arbitrary line based on what you experience and/or feel is the average performance is doomed to be unfruitful... For example, from the March 2020 Statistics thread we can see roughly half of the time played is played below level 50. If you care deeply about game mechanics every endgame TF is soloable, yet we keep seeing people dropping dead in full teams. People are people, with their different levels of interest in the game and even approaches (not everyone is a powergamer), so there's uses for providing survivability.

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 5

On 3/4/2020 at 8:21 PM, Jimmy said:

Engagement

We do our best to engage as much as is practical, but time is always the enemy. As has been pointed out countless times in this thread already, we're all volunteers working with limited time. Any time we spend communicating is time that could've been spent working on something else, so we have to strike a balance. This is even a struggle internally, trying to find time to keep everyone update whilst also actually working on stuff can be difficult.

Overall, though, I do honestly feel like we are doing a pretty good job as far as community engagement goes, and I do welcome any specific feedback or suggestions on how we could improve in this area (beyond just "more", because, obviously, that costs time we simply don't have).

I had someone mention an idea for this exact situation, though probably not practical since you're using 'off the shelf' forum software.

I was at PAX East, talking with a friend who is a professional forum moderator on a big-name game and he was talking about ways to address this exact issue - ways to have the community feel more engaged without costing additional developer time.

His thought (which he suggested to management - no idea if it can/will be implemented) was to have the forum software show that an individual post was read by a particular dev.  Even if the dev doesn't have time to reply, the person who posted has the positive feedback that one of the developers actually read their post.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

We -sort- of have something like that, Ironblade; the Reputation System.

I don't know if it's possible but the Homecoming Team might consider adding a Dev-only Rep button.  But Rep'ing every single post would get tedious, to be sure.

Even still, we do see the Devs and GMs Rep'ing various posts here and there.  Maybe we could just encourage them to Rep a little more frequently?

• 3 weeks later
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:59 PM, Dynastyjay said:

Ignorant? Naive? I’m having a hard time deciding where this comment falls. If that was the case, why in the hell is the community donating every month to help cover the costs of keeping the servers up. You’re essentially saying despite the community playing such a large role in keeping the game alive, they should just shut their mouths and take what the HC team puts out. That’s flat out stupid. 

You are free to have an opinion, and voice it. After all, that's what forums are for. But the final decision does, and should, rest in the hands of the HC team. If they are wise they'll accept critical feedback, I they are not *shrug* there are other servers to play on.