Why was this changed?

Solarverse

Why was Fearsome Stare changed for Fade? IMO the set feels a lot weaker since the change. Fearsome Stare had a nice pseudo hold along with a really nice accuracy debuff, which IMO was a lot more useful on a Controller than Fade. I honestly can't get into the Darkness Secondary for Controllers anymore because of the change, it's just not the same and nowhere near as useful for me. Was the change really necessary? What was the actual reason for the change?

Edited by Solarverse

Is this a mis-post? Doesn't it belong in an AT forum? Also... what changed? Dark Affinity never had Fearsome Stare. Has Dark Miasma lost it? But Dark Miasma isn't available on a Controller, so.... I'm very very 😵

It was like that when Darkness Affinity was released.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Issue_22

Fearsome Stare was moved to the Darkness Control primary instead of the secondary for Controllers. Petrifying Gaze was also swapped out.

As for the why of it, I don't recall exactly what the Paragon devs said at the time. Personally, I suspect that having that much mez in a Controller secondary was deemed problematic.

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

Was the change really necessary? What was the actual reason for the change?

The answer:

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

Fearsome Stare had a nice pseudo hold along with a really nice accuracy debuff, which IMO was a lot more useful on a Controller

If Controllers were going to get Fearsome Stare, it just made more sense as a power in a Primary, so they put it in Darkness Control. Controllers had to wait 8 years for darkity-dark powers and anyone that played Dark Miasma pretty much understood why: It was like an AoE Hold and a ST Immobilize away from being a Controller Primary already. I'm surprised Darkness Affinity ONLY lost Fearsome Stare and Petrifying Gaze, honestly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

6 minutes ago, Trickshooter said:

The answer:

If Controllers were going to get Fearsome Stare, it just made more sense as a power in a Primary, so they put it in Darkness Control. Controllers had to wait 8 years for darkity-dark powers and anyone that played Dark Miasma pretty much understood why: It was like an AoE Hold and a ST Immobilize away from being a Controller Primary already. I'm surprised Darkness Affinity ONLY lost Fearsome Stare and Petrifying Gaze, honestly.

I can get that. It just misses the -ToHit, which was a big part of it IMO. It made it unique as a Dark Power. Moving to the Dark Primary is great, I just wonder, was it really going to be over powered if it kept the -ToHit? Has anyone tested it? Just trying to find the history of it is all.

@Yoru-hime Maybe my memory has went bonkers, but I could have sworn it had Fearsome Stare when I used it as a Master Mind back in the day. I don't recall it having Fade in those days.

@Coyote And no, this is not an AT question because you can get it on Masterminds as well, it's a general question.

Edited by Solarverse

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

I can get that. It just misses the -ToHit, which was a big part of it IMO. It made it unique as a Dark Power. Moving to the Dark Primary is great, I just wonder, was it really going to be over powered if it kept the -ToHit? Has anyone tested it? Just trying to find the history of it is all.

@Yoru-hime Maybe my memory has went bonkers, but I could have sworn it had Fearsome Stare when I used it as a Master Mind back in the day. I don't recall it having Fade in those days.

@Coyote And no, this is not an AT question because you can get it on Masterminds as well, it's a general question.

You're not going bonkers. Masterminds get Dark Miasma, which has the fear and the hold. It's only Controllers that get the modified Dark Affinity for their secondary.

Just now, Yoru-hime said:

You're not going bonkers. Masterminds get Dark Miasma, which has the fear and the hold. It's only Controllers that get the modified Dark Affinity for their secondary.

Nope, I'm going bonkers then, because for whatever reason, I thought MM's had the same thing as Controllers....sigh, I'm getting old, haha.

Okay, I have truly lost it. I could have sworn the last info I read, is that the -ToHit of a Controller's version of Fearsome Stare  was removed. However, when I double checked, it is clear as day there.

So I am sorry for this post, but clearly I am losing it and nothing of what I said here is even a thing, but rather in my head. Move along folks, nothing more to see here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Okay, I have truly lost it. I could have sworn the last info I read, is that the -ToHit of a Controller's version of Fearsome Stare  was removed. However, when I double checked, it is clear as day there.

So I am sorry for this post, but clearly I am losing it and nothing of what I said here is even a thing, but rather in my head. Move along folks, nothing more to see here.

We all are preyed upon by our mischievous minds at one point or another. For example, I was on a market crash TF last night. I really enjoy the TF and the rewards are great. So I was amped to play it on my ice blaster that I had finally gotten to level 40. 

At the end of the second missions, my mind gave out. For some reason, I thought the “leave team” button was the exit mission button. Even the warning didn’t get through my skull. When I exited and realized I wasn’t on the team anymore my mind woke up. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed. Sometimes our brains are just douchebags. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Haha 3