Looking for an Expensive AoE Tanker Build

Gottagobro

I'm trying to roll my first tanker and I can't seem to find a build that fits my play style so far on this forum. 

Things I would like:

1. Lots of AoE damage (assuming procs are the best way to achieve this)

2. Good at holding aggro (does not have to be the best)

3. I would prefer animations that are not painfully slow

4. Very tanky

I'm thinking Rad/Dark, Ice/??, or Dark/??

I don't care about cost. I've seen plenty of builds but not many proc builds which I'm assuming are the best for damage. I don't know the math on proc builds vs normal builds so if someone could explain to me the pro's and con's of a well made proc build that would be great too.

Edited by Gottagobro

Fire and Spines are probably the best way to go.  Fire doesn't take a whole lotta procs, though.  Spines was made for procs; a lot of the Toxic attacks take recharge slow sets.  My spines/bio tanker Frankenslots many procs, although almost all of them are Trap of the Hunter recharge slows, which improve toughness rather than doing damage.  Old fashioned 'buzzsaw' damage proc based builds are no longer feasible because of changes in the proc mechanics.   Better now to focus on debuff  procs and add multiple instances of the same kind of debuff to multiple attacks.

Any of the primaries with a damage dealing aura - Fire, Ice, Bio, Electric are the ones I know best - will make a good pair.  Shields also works because of the charge; that will need a lot of recharge.  You will want a primary with a recovery power if you are running Spines and Quills.   If you're doing a -recharge  proc based build like I do with Spines, Willpower is also worth a look.  Your taunt aura can take Dark Watcher's Despair -recharge procs.  This is what I did with a Spines/WP scrapper back on Victory.

I run a Bio/Spines and a Shield/Fire tanker on Torchbearer now.  Both are strongly AoE oriented.  I also have a WP/Mace tanker that does fairly well in the AoE department, but that's all conventional damage and doesn't take a whole lot of debuff procs. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I would recommend either Elec/TW or Shields/Elec with either Pyre or Mu Epic Mastery.  Both will give you a ton of AoE Potential.  With Elec Armor you can cap all but Negative and Toxic Resistances at 90% and Shields is easily soft-capped to all Defenses giving you really good survivability.

Here are some links to give you a better understanding of procs and proc builds for tanks.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Here's my dark/fire tanker proc build.  It does amazing AoE damage because the proc chance on fire sword circle and combustion is calculated with 10 ft radius, but the tanker inherent boosts them to 15 ft afterward.  So you've got 2 huge AoEs that proc at way higher rate than they should.  Add in an epic AoE and dark regen with even more procs and you've got an AoE machine.  Full AoE rotation (FSC, dark obliteration, combustion, dark regen) hits about 950 damage against even cons.

I use gloom and dark obliteration in the single target attack chain to push out as much dps as possible, but the single target dps for fire melee is still low.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Dark Armor
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Melee
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Death Shroud -- Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(3), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Arm-Acc/Rchg(5), Arm-Dmg(5)
Level 1: Scorch -- SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(7), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(11)
Level 2: Dark Embrace -- ResDam-I(A), ResDam-I(15), UnbGrd-Max HP%(17)
Level 4: Combustion -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(17), ScrDrv-Dam%(19), Erd-%Dam(19), Obl-%Dam(21), PrfZng-Dam%(21)
Level 6: Obsidian Shield -- ResDam-I(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(23)
Level 8: Murky Cloud -- ResDam-I(A), ResDam-I(23)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), DefBuff-I(25), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(27), Ksm-ToHit+(27)
Level 14: Boxing -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(29), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(29), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(31), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(31)
Level 16: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResKB(33), ResDam-I(50)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), DefBuff-I(31)
Level 20: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Dark Regeneration -- ScrDrv-Dam%(A), Erd-%Dam(33), Obl-%Dam(34), ThfofEss-+End%(34), TchoftheN-%Dam(34), PrfZng-Dam%(36)
Level 28: Fire Sword Circle -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(36), PrfZng-Dam%(36), Erd-%Dam(37), Arm-Dam%(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37)
Level 30: Tactics -- ToHit-I(A)
Level 32: Taunt -- Taunt-I(A)
Level 35: Incinerate -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(39), Mk'Bit-Dam%(39), TchofDth-Dam%(39), PrfZng-Dam%(40), GldStr-%Dam(40)
Level 38: Greater Fire Sword -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(40), TchofDth-Dam%(42), PrfZng-Dam%(42), Hct-Dam%(42), GldStr-%Dam(43)
Level 41: Gloom -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(43), CldSns-%Dam(43), GldJvl-Dam%(45), Apc-Dam%(45)
Level 44: Dark Obliteration -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(45), JvlVll-Dam%(46), Ann-ResDeb%(46), PstBls-Dam%(46), CldSns-%Dam(48)
Level 47: Soul Tentacles -- GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(A), GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(48), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(48), GrvAnc-Immob(50), GrvAnc-Hold%(50)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Hct-Acc/Rchg(13), Hct-Dmg(13), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(15)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany
------------

Edited by josh1622

• 2 weeks later

my suggestion would be to look at Rad/Rad or Rad / Savage  or Bio/Savage these will give you alot of damage aura and AOE aswell as the fast pace feeling i love dark armor but it can really be an endurance hog . 

Edited by hakurr

• 3 weeks later

I happen to be fond of shield/fire.

Lots of aoe from FSC and combust in a decent radius, plus the damage buff from being surrounded by enemies.

Not the best for farming because you are will be WAY over damage cap if you mix and pop reds constantly, like most farmers do, and, of course, fire tankers get burn which is disgusting aoe damage, but shield feels more survivable under a lot of circumstances.

Shield/savage might do even more damage, but it's radius is not as big.

Edited by Frostweaver
I take that back, rending flurry and savage leap actually have the same radius, and output considerable more damage without adding in blood bonuses.

Huh. from what I can calculate, the highest DPS set for a tanker when surrounded by enemies is shield/savage. Especially if you are jumping from large group to large group. 'pure' pbaoe comes out to 17.7, as opposed to the second place, which is fire armor/savage, at 15.9

Of course, if you are playing a farmer, the fire armor is vastly superior because red keep you so close to the damage cap that shield's damage bonus doesn't help.

oi, I forgot about adding in shield charge. That bumps shield/savage up to 19.9.

So yeah, outside of a fire farm specifically, shield savage averages 25% higher DPS when surrounded by enemies than it's closest competitor, fire/savage, which averages about 25% higher than ANYTHING else. And when you add in secondary aoe's like dark obliteration or the farmer staples of electrifying fences and ball lightning, it goes even higher.

Man, I have got to check this out. The only kicker I can find is the difficulty of getting to 90% resistance, and the lack of any innate healing or health bonuses.

Edited by Frostweaver

Okay, I kicked this one in myself.

I actually had a shield/savage Tanker sitting at 41, so I dual boxed her to 50 and alpha, and I am putting the finishing touches on this build... so far, even incomplete, she's got a 5 minute 41 second s/l 3/8 asteroid farm time, which is solidly in Brute territory, and makes me happy. Savage leap and shield charge make a HUGE difference to your times, weirdly enough.
Damage was capped almost too easily using the standard farming macros, and I am looking forwards to seeing if I can keep it in the 300% range (which is capped when you add in enhancements) with a full team and a lot less insp drops.

I suspect that when I finally finish slotting the purples and throw in the assault radial, my 4/8 s/l farm times are going to be close to brute times. Obviously, not going to go breaking the records of a rad/fire, but considering that I am still more than tough enough to protect a whole team in 4/8 DA content, satisfaction achieved. plus, she has enough DPS to solo or small-team the achievements neccessary to start stacking up useful accolades.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Shelbie: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Secondary Power Set: Savage Melee
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Battle Agility -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(3), Rct-Def/Rchg(3), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(5), Rct-Def/EndRdx(5), Rct-Def(7)
Level 1: Savage Strike -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(11)
Level 2: Deflection -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(13), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(13), Ags-Psi/Status(15), Ags-ResDam(15), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(17)
Level 4: Shred -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(25), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(25)
Level 6: Active Defense -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Against All Odds -- Taunt-I(A)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Ksm-ToHit+(29)
Level 12: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: True Grit -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Prv-Absorb%(29), Prv-Heal(31), Pnc-Heal(31), ResDam-I(31), ResDam-I(33)
Level 16: Vicious Slash -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Hct-Acc/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 18: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A)
Level 20: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(36), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-ResDam(37)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37)
Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 28: Rending Flurry -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(40)
Level 30: Blood Thirst -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(40), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(40), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-ToHit(42)
Level 32: One with the Shield -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(43), GldArm-3defTpProc(43)
Level 35: Hemorrhage -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(46)
Level 38: Savage Leap -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(48), Obl-Dmg(48)
Level 41: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Shield Charge -- ScrDrv-Dam%(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(50), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(50), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 49: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(19), PrfShf-EndMod(19), PwrTrns-EndMod(21)
Level 1: Blood Frenzy
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment
------------

Note: I am still debating adding in mu for more aoe or swapping stuff out to get weaken resolve or hasten, but that kind of nit-picking for beating up AV's is going to take a LOT more time.

Another Note: Mid's doesn't calculate extra damage and stuff for savage melee very well. It completely ignores blood frenzy, for example, as well as ignoring blood thirst's damage boosts. This is kind of a major bug, which is why the dps numbers, despite their being quite huge, are considerably lower in mid's than they actually are in-game.

Edited by Frostweaver