Open GL Driver for Video Card

LightningSmurf

Someone had posted a fix for this on Facebook but I can't find it and it's back...

So when I try to log into the game from Tequila I get a popup that says...

An OpenGL driver for your video card 'Intel(R) HD Graphics'

was not found

The game will not run with your current configuration.

Please update your video card drivers in order to add OpenGL

support. Go to www.nvidia.com, www.ati.com, or

www.intel.com to update your video card driver. In some

cases, such as laptops, you may need to get the video drivers

from your computer manufacturer. 

Does anyone know what the fix is for this? No I can not change the video card and yes the drivers are up to date. I had it working on this laptop up until today when the popup came back again. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

OK so I found the site with the fix a applied but it doesn't work anymore...this is the original fix...

https://pastebin.com/shHxr7hV

# How to fix City of Heroes issues with OpenGL on Intel video cards (GPUs)

Please note this procedure **has** been updated  as of 16 May 2019 to reflect the change in Homecoming's file name.  Further updates have been made to update more GPUs.

This process was created by the SCOTS team in order to allows you to create what is known as a driver shim.  This is basically a way to force the Intel driver (which is the root of this issue, not City of Heroes at all) to work in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows.  Usually this sort of thing is handled by the folks who made the driver or by a game's developers.  Since we lack the latter here & Intel doesn't seem to care about OpenGL support, we're forced to do this ourselves instead.  It may be worth attempting to run CoX in compatibility mode (Win7/8/8.1) first. That's not a universal solution but some report it does the trick and is much simpler.  Ask how in one of the support channels on the Discords if you're unsure!

Please note as well this will not likely improve performance for folks who can already get into the game.  This is generally intended for allowing those with the affected GPUs to launch the game at all or who experience crashes almost immediately to play.  This is somewhat of a work in progress as to specific GPUs and such.  Please bear with us.  If you have feedback for this process, please be sure to let me (Nilt) or another SCOTS volunteer know.

List of Intel GPUs confirmed to operate well with this process:
* Intel HD 3000
* Intel HD 620
* Intel HD 630 (may not actually require this to play the game)

Please let a member of SCOTS know if more GPUs are confirmed to work with this.  I will be happy to update this as we go.

Anything I ask you to type will be enclosed in quotes.  DO NOT include the quotes, they're just to make clear what you need to type.  Any **bold text** below is either a button label that you need to click or the name of the window or list where we are.

### Let's figure out which version of Windows 10 you're on:
1. Right click the Start menu in the lower left of your screen and choose **System**.
2. Scroll down to **Windows specifications** and look for the Version.  It should be 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, or 1903.
3. Go to [https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install](https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install) & download the Windows ADK for your version of Windows.

### Now to install the program:
1. Run ADKsetup.exe when it is downloaded.
2. Leave the top option selected & click **Next**.
3. Choose whether to send Microsoft some usage data & click **Next**.
4. Click **Accept** after reading the agreement (ha!).
5. Uncheck everything in the list of features & click to check **Application Compatibility Toolkit**.
6. Click **Install** & choose **Yes** when asked if you wish to allow it to make changes to your computer.
7. Click **Close** and restart the computer if prompted.

### Now we need to run the "Compatibility Administrator(32 bit)" program:
1. Click your Start Menu (usually in the lower left of the screen).
2. The application should be at the top.  If not, start typing the name above though there's no obvious box to type in.
3. Click it when it shows up.
4. Click **Yes** again to allow it to make changes to your computer (it needs to be run as an administrator).
5. Select **New Database(1) [Untitled_1]** under **Custom Databases** from the list on the left.
6. If **Custom Databases** is not present, click the New button above.  Otherwise, skip to the next step.
7. Click the Fix above.

### Now we're in the "Create new Application Fix" window:
1. Type "City of Heroes" in the first box.
2. Type anything you wish in the middle **Name of the vendor for this program** box.
3. Click the **Browse** button & locate the game's folder.
    * If you do not know where your folder is, ask whoever you got these steps from or seek assistance in the Discord's tech help channel.
4. Click one time to select **homecoming.exe** then click the Open button.
    * This may only say score depending on your system's settings.  If so, select the one with the City of Heroes icon, not a folder icon.
5. Click the **Next** button to proceed.
6. Click **Next** to skip the Compatibility Mode options.
7. Scroll down the **Compatibility Fixes** list to **Win81RTMVersionLie** & click the box to the left of it.
  - You may press the W key on your keyboard to jump most of the way but don't check any other boxes accidentally if you do so.
8. Click the **Parameters** button above the list.

### Now we are in the "Options for Win81RTMVersionLie" window:
1. Leave the **Command line** box completely blank.  (If you are unable to do so, you've likely selected the wrong option.  Cancel out of that and choose very carefully in the last set of steps.)
2. Type "ig4icd32.dll" in the *Module Name* box.  (This may vary based on the specific Intel GPU.  We're working on obtaining a definitive list files for specific GPUs.)
3. Click the **Add** button to the right then click the **OK** button below.
4. This brings you to the **Create new Application fix** window.  Click the **Next** button.

### We're now in the "Matching Information" list:
1. Click the **Unselect All** button to the bottom of the left.
2. Click the checkbox for **ORIGINAL_FILENAME=CityOfHeroes.exe**.
3. Click the checkbox for **INTERNAL_NAME=CityOfHeroes**.
4. Click the **Finish** button below.

### We're now back in the main view of the Compatibility Administrator:
1. Click the **Save** button at the top of the window.
2. Type "CoH OpenGL" in the Database Name box then click the **OK** button.
3. A new **Save Database** window opens.  Type "CoHOpenGLShim" in the **File name** box at the bottom.
4. Click the **Save** button to the bottom near the right side.
5. Note: Stay in the same program for this step.  Right click **CoH OpenGL [C:\Games\City of Heroes\CoHOpenGLShim.sdb]** and choose **Install**.
    * Note that the C:\Games\City of Heroes part varies.  Your path, if different, will show there instead.  Also, the part in brackets is often cut off depending on the size of the window.
6. Click **OK** to the prompt when it's installed.

Try running the game.  Hopefully it'll work but if not, please be certain to let someone in the Discord tech assistance channels know!
 You may have a slightly different Intel driver file or something which we can help you identify.

I'm not good with discord but I figured I'd post here to see if there's a new better fix for this?

Edited by LightningSmurf
  • Thanks 1

Same one as posted in our Install/Troubleshooting guide.  It would be helpful to know what card you are using (or what onboard graphics name if Intel... GMA 3000, 4000, HD Graphics 400, etc.)

• Like 1

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

Do this:

• Open the Windows Explorer/File Explorer (the folder icon in your taskbar) and paste this in: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Device Manager
  • Click on the section that mentions Display Adaptors
  • Tell us what it says in the list.

Mine says:

• Cyberlink Mirror Driver (a screen share virtual driver)
  • NVidia GeForce GTX 970 (my actual GPU, the thing we're looking for only yours says Intel)

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Device Manager says - Intel(R) HD Graphics

Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel says - 

Intel HD Graphics (Core I5)

Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5

Accelerator in Use Intel(R) HD Graphics

Intel's driver check program says the same as the media control panel

I have a Dell Latitude e6510

Intel Core i5 M520 @2.40GHz

Thank you guys for trying to help me with this.

I Goggled the model and Amazon showed one with a NVIDA Quadro NVS 3100M.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 2 weeks later
On 9/14/2019 at 10:12 PM, Without_Pause said:

I Goggled the model and Amazon showed one with a NVIDA Quadro NVS 3100M.

When I try installing that driver from the Dell website I get and error that says...

The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any driver that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

• Retired Game Master

If your computer has dual graphics (an Intel chipset and an Nvidia card), use the Nvidia options to ensure that homecoming.exe always uses the Nvidia hardware only.  You will still probably get an error about old Intel drivers, but you can ignore it.

If your computer only has the Intel chipset, your drivers likely do not have the necessary OpenGL support to run this game.  You can use the driver shim process you posted above, making sure that you apply it to the correct instance of homecoming.exe (there are three, one for each build of the game; the one in HC-bin64 for the 64 bit client, hc-bin32 for 32-bit, and the one in the root folder for safe mode).  We can’t provide support for setting up the driver shim or any problems you have with the game running on those drivers.

On 9/28/2019 at 10:01 AM, GM Capocollo said:

If your computer has dual graphics (an Intel chipset and an Nvidia card), use the Nvidia options to ensure that homecoming.exe always uses the Nvidia hardware only.  You will still probably get an error about old Intel drivers, but you can ignore it.

If your computer only has the Intel chipset, your drivers likely do not have the necessary OpenGL support to run this game.  You can use the driver shim process you posted above, making sure that you apply it to the correct instance of homecoming.exe (there are three, one for each build of the game; the one in HC-bin64 for the 64 bit client, hc-bin32 for 32-bit, and the one in the root folder for safe mode).  We can’t provide support for setting up the driver shim or any problems you have with the game running on those drivers.

OK that got me back in...didn't realize the different folders tho I can only play 32bit cause the compatibility administrator is only for 32bit 😞 That sucks but at least it's working on this laptop again. 😄  

edit: Nevermind...found the 64bit administrator!!! 😁

Edited by LightningSmurf
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later

I only have an Nvidia card, and have been able to play the game fine until today, but I'm now getting this error - any help? I'm on an HP Omen.

Edited: Fixed it - my computer forgot it had a video card at all, or something. Once that got ironed out CoH works fine.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later

Hi Everyone

Long time original player returning and excited.  I'm working with an older laptop but was able to get everything installed just fine.  However, when I go to play, I get a message that "An OpenGL driver for your video card 'Intel(R) HD Graphics was not found."  Goes on to say that the game will not run with my current configuration.  

In my limited computer skills, it appears that my video card is updated (but, admittedly, I might have not checked that totally accurately).

Can anyone help?  I'm dying to play...

I'm having this exact same issue - I went through the long list of steps above, but it still doesn't work.   

If anyone is able to help with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Just let me know what info you might need.  

Thanks in advance!

On 8/28/2019 at 11:00 PM, LightningSmurf said:

2. Type "ig4icd32.dll" in the *Module Name* box.  (This may vary based on the specific Intel GPU.  We're working on obtaining a definitive list files for specific GPUs.)

if you are using a 64 bit OS, change to ig4icd64.dll

Thank you very much for the idea.  Problem - So, where would I find that item?  I searched and couldn't find it anywhere.  

When I try to re-run the process, it won't let me change anything when I select the features I want to change.  

• Game Master

### Now we're in the "Create new Application Fix" window:
1. Type "City of Heroes" in the first box.
2. Type anything you wish in the middle **Name of the vendor for this program** box.
3. Click the **Browse** button & locate the game's folder.
    * If you do not know where your folder is, ask whoever you got these steps from or seek assistance in the Discord's tech help channel.
4. Click one time to select **homecoming.exe** then click the Open button.
    * This may only say score depending on your system's settings.  If so, select the one with the City of Heroes icon, not a folder icon.

This is where you'll have to switch things up.  Patching Homecoming.exe is the Safe Mode client, which is going away very soon.  That's not going to be beneficial any longer.

How Do I Shim the 64-Bit Client?
Find "/hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe" in your Tequila folder in step 4.  Any computer sold brand new in the 2010s is most likely 64-bit, so this will only work for the Homecoming 64-bit Client (the 32-bit one can be shimmed too, but it isn't necessary to go through all of this again if you can get 64-bit working.)

I don't have 64-bit anything on my computer -OR- Damn the geeks, I'm still using Windows 7 or XP.

If you have any doubts whether your system is 64-bit or not, then press WIN+Pause/Break on your computer (Or Open Control Panel & System if you're on a laptop without a Pause key.)  Read the line that says "SYSTEM TYPE:".  If there's a "32" ANYWHERE in that line (doesn't matter where), then go ahead and shim the 32-bit client in Tequila: "/hc-bin32/cityofheroes.exe".  You'll then launch the Homecoming 32-bit client from Tequila when finished.  Don't bother to shim the 64-bit client, it won't work in the first place.  (64-bit software will not run on 32-bit systems, hence the eventual need to upgrade soonish.)

Continue with the rest of the instructions.

Edited by GM Tahquitz
  • Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• 1 month later
  • Game Master
23 hours ago, KStin said:

How do I get to the application fix window to reset the 64 bit dll.  I have the dll in my Windows folder. 

For 64-bit, I realize more might be helpful:

• Instead of running Compatibility Administrator (32-bit), run Compatibility Administrator (64-bit).
  • How Do I Shim the 64-Bit Client?
    Find "/hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe" in your Tequila folder in step 4.  Any computer sold brand new in the 2010s is most likely 64-bit, so this will only work for the Homecoming 64-bit Client (the 32-bit one can be shimmed too, but it isn't necessary to go through all of this again if you can get 64-bit working.)
  • In the "Options for Win81RTMVersionLie" dialog box, paste "ig4icd64.dll" as a module.

Sorry about the disjointed instructions, I don't have a system to try this out on myself that has Intel graphics.

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

This worked for fixing my GL failure issue, but only for 32-bit mode. My processor is in 64-bit, so I Tequila to run, but only in 32-bit mode. I've tried the below steps but made the changes for 64-bit, but to no avail.... Thoughts? 

OK so I found the site with the fix a applied but it doesn't work anymore...this is the original fix...

https://pastebin.com/shHxr7hV

I'm not good with discord but I figured I'd post here to see if there's a new better fix for this?

• Game Master
On 5/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, KStin said:

That PasteBin document is over a year old.  There's been several changes since then (a 64-bit client didn't exist at the time of writing it, and Homecoming Client has hopped around a few folders since then).  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GM Tahquitz said:

That PasteBin document is over a year old.  There's been several changes since then (a 64-bit client didn't exist at the time of writing it, and Homecoming Client has hopped around a few folders since then).  

Can you point me to where I could find the latest post for 64-bit GL issue? I've not found anything so far...

• Game Master

SCOTS made the post, but they haven't updated it since they wrote it.  I'm sorry for the back and forth.

If it's the difference between being able to play or not play the game, the instructions for 32-bit will work on a 64-bit system.  It would involved the least amount of changes needed to the procedure. Basically, forget about using the 64-bit client and shim/launch the 32-bit one instead.  Again, you'd need to change the paths so it aims at the /hc-bin32 directory, and use the application cityofheroes.exe. 

The downside to the approach is the less resources available to play the game (32 bit apps are constrained to sharing only the first 4GB bucket of RAM, so multi-boxing and multitasking while playing the game may cause problems.)

Edited by GM Tahquitz
  • Like 1