Power Boost (and Clarion) with defense click powers

I've seen some build that rely on boosting a defense click power: as long as you click the defense power within the short time power boost is active, the defense is boosted for the duration of the click power.

For example Fade from Darkness Affinity lasts a full minute: hit Power Boost then Fade, and you defense provided by Fade is doubled. Just a few enhancements gets you 20%+ of defense, and getting Fade perma is not that hard. I've seen a Fire/Time build that uses the same trick, although it uses the power-boost like built into Clarion Radial to achieve the same effect.

Someone commented somewhere either in this forum or in /help that it was a bug and wasn't supposed to work that way, but the description of Power Boost does mentions defense buffs as being affected, although is seems in game descriptions (and Mids') are not being kept up-to-date.

can someone confirm or deny? Power Boost also doubles healing effects but I'm not sure I want to take it if it doesn't also apply to the defense boost (Fade and others are also a Team defense buff!)

Power Boost no longer works with Fade's defense buff. That is because Fade was never supposed to be affected by outside buffs (due to Fade providing enhanceable resistance).

Power Boost does boost healing and absorb.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

4 hours ago, Papaschtroumpf said:

I've seen some build that rely on boosting a defense click power: as long as you click the defense power within the short time power boost is active, the defense is boosted for the duration of the click power.

For example Fade from Darkness Affinity lasts a full minute: hit Power Boost then Fade, and you defense provided by Fade is doubled. Just a few enhancements gets you 20%+ of defense, and getting Fade perma is not that hard. I've seen a Fire/Time build that uses the same trick, although it uses the power-boost like built into Clarion Radial to achieve the same effect.

Someone commented somewhere either in this forum or in /help that it was a bug and wasn't supposed to work that way, but the description of Power Boost does mentions defense buffs as being affected, although is seems in game descriptions (and Mids') are not being kept up-to-date.

can someone confirm or deny? Power Boost also doubles healing effects but I'm not sure I want to take it if it doesn't also apply to the defense boost (Fade and others are also a Team defense buff!)

Power Boost will buff click-type defense buffs for the duration of the buff and toggle defense buffs for the duration of Power Boost. The exception there is defense powers that also have an enhanceable +res component (the most common of these are Fade and the Cold shields) because those powers are flagged to ignore buffs like that.

Edited by macskull
This isn't Discord and formatting is a thing here
  • Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube