The Outer Worlds

WanderingAries

So, if anybody's wondered where I've been (in-game), this is one of the places lately.

I'm still learning the game mechanics and such as does anyone on their first play through. I can see the NV aspects loud and clear, but there's a few Fallout things they could have added. I find myself saving way too often because I'm trying to keep my nose the appearance of clean, but it's too easy to get caught. More to say, but this is a start for those who've already done so.

My Observations:

• Your health sucks at first and armor only partially helps when not 1:1
    • While zones may be level based (not sure yet), IDK HOW many times I was too easily overwhelmed by animal types in combat
    • Yes, you have stats, perks, etc that'll eventually help, but you'll get your butt kicked if you're not planning ahead and even then you may miss something
    • The game must assume that you're taking responsibility to Constantly check your surroundings, especially during a fight
    • This is while playing without a helper NPC
    • You Can heal during the fight and even Pause to heal during the fight, but your first play is going to be a rude awakening until you understand it
  • Unlike the Fallout games, there's no "easy" indicator that you're hidden when trying to say pick a lock
    • The game has a way to tell you, but it's one of those things where you generally can't pick the lock And know you're still hidden at the same time
    • Sometimes you Think you're hidden, but you're not and That is near impossible to tell quite often
    • Most of the above is likely a side effect of being spoiled as it's actually more realistic
  • Saving
    • Auto-Save is a thing and works for most situations
    • Save before you do ANYTHING that could change the perception others have of you if that's something you care about
    • Save before you venture anywhere new as it's easy to get into trouble/dead
    • Save DURING your dialog choices. I've not quite tested this, but trying to follow the logic of dialogs can be rather acrobatic. I've found that while not truly dynamic, your choices can easily remove past options even though you're presented choices. Many RPGs at least have a static set of choices, so this could simply be a more realistic methodology and someone needs to learn to adapt.
  • Mods
    • Honestly, while I don't hate them, they can cause me a headache sometimes (like trying to understand Enh here for the uninitiated)
    • They're not reusable. Once they're in, the next one you place basically overwrites the first
    • They're easy enough to get, so don't stress so much about getting what you want
  • Buying/Selling
    • Crap is expensive to buy and you get even worse back when selling/recycling
    • You can buyback what you sell, but IDK if that only extends to that vender and/or that transaction, time wise
  • Junk / Scrap
    • Can be confusing as it doesn't keep that designation if you choose to change it
    • In most games, something that's only there to sell stays in that category. Here I can designate something to be junk or the reverse at will. This makes it too easy to forget that something has no other value
    • It's easy to bulk sell
  • Armor
    • There are no Light/Medium/Heavy armor Classes. IE: Anyone can wear anything
    • Everything has weight and the above doesn't relate to that
    • L/M/H actually refer to the Density of the Armor and affect the ability to mod it as well as the stats it already comes with
    • Shops do appear to have specific level scales that are locked, but the variety may change as you buy things
    • Keep a spare set for swapping between characters as you can't just remove something from a helper character (yes, I know I simply forget the term)
    • They take repairable damage, but do so rather easily
  • Weapons
    • Anyone can use anything (I think), but I 'believe' that some do better with some weapons. IE: I've observed that helper characters begin with different types of weapons, but all characters start with a Melee and a Ranged weapon
    • They can be modded, but not as much as Armor
    • They take repairable damage, but do so rather easily
  • Consumables
    • This is what gets me the most as you can't group things the way I'd like. You can sort many ways, but not by type/effect which would be WAY more helpful than say by name
    • I really can't tell (yet?) when something has warn off or if it's necessarily being effective during combat beyond seeing my bars go up (if I'm looking)
    • All but ammo have weight and it adds up
    • Try as I might, I've yet to become over encumbered, but that's likely because I've been scrapping/breaking down/selling constantly
    • It's easy to sell something you didn't mean to, so as a tip, I'd recommend marking something as junk first so that it gets moved to that folder for quick sale
  • Visuals
    • You're in first person during most of your playthrough. Sure, you can do a photo like mode, but while playing (most tasks) you're looking through their eyes
    • Nothing overly pretty, but it's Fallout / Borderlands quality
  • Combat
    • No VATS, but you get a limited Slow-Mo type helper
    • It can be hard to tell between things at a distance, especially enemies as there's not a consistent reticle or general outline to point out that this is something to pay attention to
    • Melee is going to piss you off on smaller targets
    • There is NO locking on a target and sway is a thing, but not horrible
Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Since this originally hit around the same time as Disco Elysium, I didn't really give it as much attention as I probably would have if it had come out months, or even just weeks, earlier.

I really enjoyed New Vegas, but other than the initial hype of hearing about the pedigree of the Outer Worlds, the game didn't grab me as much as I had hoped it would when it finally came out.

How's about the modding?  Any insight on how mod-friendly the Outer Worlds are?  That was always a big perk in New Vegas.

16 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

How's about the modding?  Any insight on how mod-friendly the Outer Worlds are?  That was always a big perk in New Vegas.

Modding in terms of the weapons/clothing is pretty basic (if you mean the game as a whole, then no modding) and supposed to be straight forward. You have slots, you have matching mods and you insert them. Mods are easy to come by, so hoarding may or may not be worth the effort. I'm still learning how to tell where a mod goes before purchasing as I've had a few "crap" moments where I've bought something only to not use it because the one I have installed (they are one-time use) is more important.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

38 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Oh.   I meant the creation and implementation of player-made content when I was speaking of modding, sorry.  Not in-game weapon/item upgrades.

Pretty sure it's a no there as there's no menu system for it and no hint of being supported.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:33 PM, WanderingAries said:

• Save before you do ANYTHING that could change the perception others have of you if that's something you care about
    •  

I learned this the hard way. I did something to piss off some guards early in the game and just ran away not realizing those guards would forever stay argo'd on me. If they saw me or I did anything to fight back then everyone around them would attack as well. It was pretty early in the game so it didn't cause HUGE problems, but I wasn't able to get some side quest because of it.

8 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Oh.   I meant the creation and implementation of player-made content when I was speaking of modding, sorry.  Not in-game weapon/item upgrades.

Ther are some mods on Nexus. But the most popular one has about 10k, so I don't think modding is big for this game and I haven't tried any myself.

Id love to get into that.  But not sure my computer will run it.

Plus I get some motion sickness in games (the whole warning stuff) so I do much better if I can focus on a Third Person if I'm moving a lot.  

I can shoot, etc for a while 1st person.  But moving around the world can give me headaches much quicker.  Sort of like not seeing the horizon makes people motion sick. 

And VR is much worse .. >.<

I grabbed this a couple days ago... it's quite a lot like Fallout with a splash of KOTOR thrown in.  I've just finished the starter planet and it had some really difficult choices in the main story line.

Performance wise it seems pretty similar to Fallout 4 so if you can run that you should be good.  Unfortunately it's a first person perspective with no option for 3rd person, so all that time you spent at character creation getting your look right is completely wasted as you'll almost never see it.

• Thanks 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I grabbed this a couple days ago... it's quite a lot like Fallout with a splash of KOTOR thrown in.  I've just finished the starter planet and it had some really difficult choices in the main story line.

Performance wise it seems pretty similar to Fallout 4 so if you can run that you should be good.  Unfortunately it's a first person perspective with no option for 3rd person, so all that time you spent at character creation getting your look right is completely wasted as you'll almost never see it.

Not as often as you'd like, but leave it idle a minute or use the menu to trigger that and you'll see em.

4 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Not as often as you'd like, but leave it idle a minute or use the menu to trigger that and you'll see em.

Unfortunately that requires you to sit idle for awhile, and even then you just see your armor and helmet.  So far that's my one real complaint about the game, although I'm still in the early stages yet.  I haven't yet decided if skill points are too plentiful or not; at around level 14 it seems I have more than I have a need for.  Perks seem a bit underwhelming so far.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Unfortunately that requires you to sit idle for awhile, and even then you just see your armor and helmet.  So far that's my one real complaint about the game, although I'm still in the early stages yet.  I haven't yet decided if skill points are too plentiful or not; at around level 14 it seems I have more than I have a need for.  Perks seem a bit underwhelming so far.

Yeah, it feels like a Fallout-Lite in that respect, but that coincides with the size of the zones as well, so maybe it's intentional. Hence why I tried not to spend the full $60 on the game.

• 11 months later

If you haven't played the DLC for this game, then get off your duff and play it! The DLC is Much longer than I expected, adds a fair amount of XP, and a bit of interesting story to follow.

Played it a month ago, and it sucked. Shooting was blah, the weapons all felt the same. Skill points and perks felt meaningless. The story was incredibly blah, "oh look there's a huge corporation over there and they're really bad, but you can side with them if you really want to."

19 hours ago, Kyksie said:

Played it a month ago, and it sucked. Shooting was blah, the weapons all felt the same. Skill points and perks felt meaningless. The story was incredibly blah, "oh look there's a huge corporation over there and they're really bad, but you can side with them if you really want to."

Admittedly, I hate the B/W decision making, but I guess it made their lives easier. The conversations do allow for some grey area-ish.