Insect Control: A Proposed Controller Powerset

13 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

Thank you! Glad you like it, definitely had fun making this. 😁

One of the threads I run touches on the subject of Insect Control, mostly the visual elements that would be used to create it.

I'm glad we share a lot of the same ideas on the matter! Its definitely a powerset that could and should be put into production, ever since the concept was teased by the Jail Bird badge and the infamous Bug Man.

Here's the link if you're interested!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

One of the threads I run touches on the subject of Insect Control, mostly the visual elements that would be used to create it.

I'm glad we share a lot of the same ideas on the matter! Its definitely a powerset that could and should be put into production, ever since the concept was teased by the Jail Bird badge and the infamous Bug Man.

Here's the link if you're interested!

I like it! It's definitely nice to know that there's a lot of potential animations that could be used to make an Insect Control powerset work. The Devouring Earth's Swarm underlings were definitely my 'inspiration' (AKA copy with added tweaks) for the Insect Colony power as well - looks like we were thinking along the same lines!

Making a webbing alternative implementation of Infestation might be interesting; add a slowing component while also being a bit less graphically intensive as per Zepp's mentioning of the current implementation being potentially taxing on low end systems. I run a slow computer myself!

Edited by Blackfeather

1 hour ago, josh1622 said:

I love the idea of a PBAoE fear in a control set.  I don't think there's anything like that outside of cloak of fear.

Not a control set, but there is Invoke Panic from the Presence Pool.

There is Spooky from Illusion and Terrify is a cone, but fear is a less common control type. Too bad it doesn't create containment...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

On 4/19/2020 at 11:06 AM, josh1622 said:

I love the idea of a PBAoE fear in a control set.  I don't think there's anything like that outside of cloak of fear.

Thanks! That was definitely part of the reason why I wanted to make it PBAoE, along with it being thematic - who wouldn't be terrified of you with insects swirling around? 😈

21 hours ago, Zepp said:

There is Spooky from Illusion and Terrify is a cone, but fear is a less common control type. Too bad it doesn't create containment...

The lack of Containment for Fear definitely was a factor for why I went with that instead of another status effect. Since Insect Control already has an easy (and deliberately slower acting) means of Containment in its AoE Immobilise, it made sense to go for something a bit softer.

Basically, the aim was to make it more of a backup control - Insect Control in general was focused on fighting at a distance, holding/immobilising enemies before engaging. But if some enemies slip through the cracks, or there are too many, having Bug Burst could help reign them in to some degree, and regain that advantage.

On 4/21/2020 at 3:37 AM, 5099y_74c05 said:

The Superpower Wiki is definitely a great place - there's quite a few entries there that I've never even heard of; going on Random walks is quite the trip. That being said, a lot of the inspiration for the powers and 'feel' of this suggestion came from another wiki - more specifically, a certain insect manipulating character.

Finally got around to making an alternative implementation to Infestation (per @Zepp's mentioning of multiple patches being graphically intensive): Gossamer Trap! It lays down static webbing (with maybe some insects crawling around them?) instead of conjuring up a mid-air swarm of flying insects.

I also added a -Movement debuff along with the change in flavor, since I imagine webbing to be a bit difficult to wade through, especially webbing that's teeming with biting bugs. It'd also provide some means of hindering stronger enemies; they'll still need to be properly restricted in some other way of course, but this provides the Insect Controller with a better chance of doing so, ideally before they run up and attempt to engage in melee.

Infestation.png.db7d2d7b755044db530728032413d664.png Gossamer Trap

You command swarms of insects and arthropods to weave sticky webs across the ground, reducing the movement speed of foes inside this area. Additionally, they will take minor Toxic and Lethal damage from the insects residing there. Weaker foes will have a chance of being held for a short period of time, envenomed and restrained in silk.

Damage

Minor Damage over Time (Lethal/Toxic)

Recharge

Long (150s)

Duration

60s

Minimum Level

Effects

Ranged (Location Area of Effect)

Foe Hold (Mag 2), -10% DMG, -90% Speed

Enhancements

Enhance Accuracy

Enhance Damage

Reduce Endurance Cost

Enhance Hold Duration

Enhance Range

Increase Attack Rate

Enhance Slow

Set Categories

Targeted AoE Damage

Holds

Slow Movement

1 hour ago, Blackfeather said:

Finally got around to making an alternative implementation to Infestation (per @Zepp's mentioning of multiple patches being graphically intensive): Gossamer Trap! It lays down static webbing (with maybe some insects crawling around them?) instead of conjuring up a mid-air swarm of flying insects.

I also added a -Movement debuff along with the change in flavor, since I imagine webbing to be a bit difficult to wade through, especially webbing that's teeming with biting bugs. It'd also provide some means of hindering stronger enemies; they'll still need to be properly restricted in some other way of course, but this provides the Insect Controller with a better chance of doing so, ideally before they run up and attempt to engage in melee.

Interesting, how is it going to be different from your Tier 2 Webbing power (graphically, mechanically, feel)?

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

4 hours ago, Zepp said:

Interesting, how is it going to be different from your Tier 2 Webbing power (graphically, mechanically, feel)?

I'll be happy to explain! Hopefully they sound distinct.

Webbing.png.ec365e6d5f3ab59df9f816867fb20143.png Webbing

Orders nearby insects to cover a group of targets in silk, slime, and other secretions before attacking your now immobilized foes. Multiple applications of Webbing are required to immobilize most enemies.

Damage

Recharge

Fast (5s)

Duration

97.79s

Minimum Level

Effects

Ranged (Targeted Area of Effect)

Foe Immobilize (Mag 1), -10% DMG (12s)

Enhancements

Enhance Accuracy

Enhance Damage

Reduce Endurance Cost

Enhance Immobilization Duration

Enhance Range

Increase Attack Rate

Set Categories

Targeted AoE Damage

Immobilize

Mechanically, Webbing is just an AoE Immobilize - target an enemy, and have silk burst around them. With its low magnitude (like others in Insect Control), multiple applications are required to trap foes, impacting its feel; insects on their own are weak (low magnitude) but tenacious (high duration), and that's how I decided to go about representing them. Graphically, I imagined it as similar to Traps' Web Grenade, webbing up enemies only at their feet after an explosion of silk.

Infestation.png.db7d2d7b755044db530728032413d664.png Gossamer Trap

You command swarms of insects and arthropods to weave sticky webs across the ground, reducing the movement speed of foes inside this area. Additionally, they will take minor Toxic and Lethal damage from the insects residing there. Weaker foes will have a chance of being held for a short period of time, envenomed and restrained in silk.

Damage

Recharge

Long (150s)

Duration

60s

Minimum Level

Effects

Ranged (Location Area of Effect)

Foe Hold (Mag 2), -10% DMG, -90% Speed

Enhancements

Enhance Accuracy

Enhance Damage

Reduce Endurance Cost

Enhance Hold Duration

Enhance Range

Increase Attack Rate

Enhance Slow

Set Categories

Targeted AoE Damage

Holds

Slow Movement

In contrast, Gossamer Trap is a location based Hold, similar in nature to Earth Control's Volcanic Gasses or Darkness Control's Shadow Field. Due to its weaker magnitude of 2, it'll only hold weaker foes (and higher in tandem with rapid applications of Blight), but recharges faster than either of these two powers, and comes with a few secondary effects: like most of Insect Control's powers, it reduces enemy damage - its way of staying safe before locking down the battlefield.

Additionally, since it's of a lower magnitude, it makes sense to slow foes that pass across it, either to immobilise them inside it via Webbing, or to quickly hold them with Blight. Unlike Webbing though, it's definitely not meant to be applied multiple times - lay it down once to deal continual damage, slow, and control the battlefield.

As for how it'll look, I envision it as layers of webs on the floor, potentially with some insects crawling through it. Enemies that end up being Held by the effect I see as similar in nature to Web Cocoon. That is to say, instead of webbing up just their lower halves, they'd be webbed up entirely.