A few Dominator set questions

kelika2

I am so bored I am starting to branch out into ATs that I never once considered on live.

Ice/ice dominator:

Is Arctic Air effected by Domination?

Is World of Confusion worth taking with this combo?

Fire/thorn dominator:

Is Bonfire+KB to KD still knocking back enemies with Domination up?

Gravity/? dominator:

Do Doms have Impact?  If so how is the damage?  My goal is to have a 100% ranged dominator

Mind/Psi dominator:

Is Mesmerize (tier1 primary sleep) worthy as an attack?  Another trying to 100% ranged dom attempt

?/Energy dominator:

wtf is Energy Release?

Fire/Fire dominator:

Think Char (4/6 basalisk's gaze + 2 dmg/mez hamis) and ring of fire (ranged damage set) can be enough damage for yet another attempt at a 100% ranged dom?  or would the dot's never come to full duration to matter

Two quick notes about the Mind/Psi combo:

1) Mesmerize is at least worth a look because, regardless of whether Domination is up or down, it can apply to most Bosses in a single shot.

2) Going */Psi Assault and going ranged-only (thus skipping Psi Shockwave) is like looking at the vegetarian section of the menu at a BBQ joint.  🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kelika2 said:

Is Arctic Air effected by Domination?

Is World of Confusion worth taking with this combo?

No, and I doubt it... Arctic Air's radius is far larger than WoC.

No, works fine for me. Although I do spam Fire Cages.

Do Doms have Impact?  If so how is the damage?  My goal is to have a 100% ranged dominator

Yes, though I don't necessarily think that even with it the damage is really worth it. Propel is a good attack for Controllers, but not as good as many Dominator ranged attacks.

Is Mesmerize (tier1 primary sleep) worthy as an attack?  Another trying to 100% ranged dom attempt

Yes, as it has a nice control effect. The damage isn't great but it's solid.

?/Energy dominator:

wtf is Energy Release?

Your single-target attacks have a chance to create an energy build-up. Total Focus has a 100% chance to creating it. Once you have energy build-up, you release it with either Power Burst or Whirling Hands, doing extra damage (I forget how much, but it's high... like 80% damage increase or so). This makes Energy Assault a high-damage for single-target, and actually not bad for AoE. However, your only AoE is melee-range, and you really want to be using Total Focus to build it up since TF - Power Burst - Snipe is a really high damage series... and Bonesmasher is an excellent attack. So you really want to be in melee range with Energy Assault.

Think Char (4/6 basalisk's gaze + 2 dmg/mez hamis) and ring of fire (ranged damage set) can be enough damage for yet another attempt at a 100% ranged dom?  or would the dot's never come to full duration to matter

Yes. And you will have Fire Blast which is very good damage for its Recharge, plus Blaze and Blazing Bolt. You'll definitely have enough attacks for an all-ranged build. Fire Assault is probably the best secondary for an all-ranged Dominator (and I think that Dark Assault is probably 2nd best).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Yes. And you will have Fire Blast which is very good damage for its Recharge, plus Blaze and Blazing Bolt. You'll definitely have enough attacks for an all-ranged build. Fire Assault is probably the best secondary for an all-ranged Dominator (and I think that Dark Assault is probably 2nd best).

Realizing and agree with this as currently leveling up a plant/dark.  Could easily be ranged only.  Nightfall recharges fairly fast, especially once you get a lot of +recharge, and is a long, very narrow cone, so it requires more range to hit everyone with it than most cones.   If you want to use both the pbaoe and cone it seems like you'd have to get good at doing a lot of quick long distance jumping in and out.  Not sure by the time it takes to do that if nightfall wouldn't be recharged again anyway.  The PBAoE is a good place for another purple set for the recharge bonus though.

4 hours ago, Coyote said:

Your single-target attacks have a chance to create an energy build-up. Total Focus has a 100% chance to creating it. Once you have energy build-up, you release it with either Power Burst or Whirling Hands, doing extra damage (I forget how much, but it's high... like 80% damage increase or so). This makes Energy Assault a high-damage for single-target, and actually not bad for AoE. However, your only AoE is melee-range, and you really want to be using Total Focus to build it up since TF - Power Burst - Snipe is a really high damage series... and Bonesmasher is an excellent attack. So you really want to be in melee range with Energy Assault.

To add on to this I have a Mind/Energy dom and its far and away my favorite toon.   Energy Release allows for some serious damage, it plainly doubles the damage of Whirling Hands and adds 80% more damage to Power Burst.  On +4x8 content Whirling Hands hits for near 400 points to 10 targets in a wide range and Burst hits for 500 points easy not counting any other procs.   You''ll want to constantly use Total Focus and Whirling Hands so you will need to push your limits by chasing melee range but then if you're Perma-Dom you should have everything mostly locked down when you're getting in range.  Depending on your primary if you're able to select the hold in your first selection If you do get a hold to start then I'd say add in Bone Smasher since you're locked into taking something at lvl 2 but otherwise the last 4 attacks do so much damage it'll make you giggle.  

As for Mesmerize I take it for the two functions.  One it is a reliable control even slotted with just an Apocalypse Damage IO it sleeps my target for a long time if needed.  The other reason I love it over Levitate is that it does Psi damage to the target should you need to grind some out all of a sudden like when an AV pops their godmode.  

23 hours ago, kelika2 said:

Mind/Psi dominator:

IIRC it is mag 3.5 or something silly like that, but it will one-shot sleep a typical boss without domination.  It was vital back in the day before permadom and it is still helpful while you level up.  Damage was meh, expensive on the endurance for what you got.  Stick with blasts from the secondary.

Levitate was quite fun back in the day, but when I rerolled my old live mind/energy I skipped levitate.

Edited by Dauntless

On my Mind/Fire, I take Mezmerize, but only because I have to take it or Levitate, and the latter is utterly useless with such a strong assault secondary. At least Mez can one-shot sleep bosses without domination, and is therefore useful at low levels. In my finalized build, I stuck one Acc/Mez Hami-O in it and took it off my hotbar unless I'm doing super low-level content. My dom is pure ranged, as well, and it works great. Damage feels somewhat low in the 25-35 range, but then you get Fireball, Blaze, and Blazing Bolt and suddenly you have people convinced your a blaster.

Some critters have more sleep protection than others.  Dominate then levitate and before the critter gets back up you can usually land dominate again, although if you are high enough with recharge you can levitate and land two dominates before the boss can respond.  Way way back in the day I used to take them both (back when I could recite from memory every boss' mez resistances).

Mesmerize will also put most AVs to sleep in a single hit.  It isn't useful very often as your entire team will likely be banging on it, but it can occasionally stop a disaster.  

One niche use of Mesmerize is detoggling a MOB. If an annoying boss is using Hurricane or something, you can Mez them with one shot to disable it. It won’t matter that the sleep breaks instantly, the toggle still shut off.

Granted, you can usually just use your hold for that purpose, but it’s at least a valid corner case.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 2:06 AM, kelika2 said:

Is World of Confusion worth taking with this any combo?

Fire/thorn any dominator:

I have (and toggle on) World of Confusion, but it is a purely aesthetic choice (as well as a mule for Coercive Persuasion) . It is not a great power... the only active benefit it brings my Dominator (Fire/Psi/Psi) is that:

1. If I haven't locked down the enemies, and
  2. If they aren't running away from Hot Feet, and
  3. If they are close enough to me, and
  4. If the WoC hits them, then

There are a few seconds when those enemies don't do anything instead of attacking me or my pets. I'm not sure I've ever observed an enemy mob actually take a swing at another enemy mob unless Hot Feet is off, and even then such attacks aren't really helping.

Bonfire w/ KB->KD is an awesome power, no matter the secondary, no matter if Domination is up or not. The only thing I haven't tried yet with Bonfire is to slot it with a -Res proc.... I'm not sure why I haven't yet, perhaps someone can chime in with their experiences doing so?

Edited by tidge

As I understand it, Domination does not affect KB magnitude, correct? So Bonfire w/ KB->KD should work just fine. I'm running up a fire/earth (2 auras!!!) right now, so I'll let ya know soon. 

WOC is a nice power, but generally not mission-critical. It is one of those that, if you are going //Psi, anyway, and if you have a flexible power slot, and if you are planning to play mostly melee range, it is one to consider.