Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Silk

Jacke reported an interesting issue: sometimes (perhaps some versions of?) Tequila creates a key named "params" under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Tequila in your system registry - and it seems it uses that value preferentially over the ones in tequila.xml.

If any of these is happening:

[*]SCORE continues to report wrong game version even when Tequila.xml contains the -noversioncheck parameter

[*]SCORE crashes on launch

[*]SCORE is unable to connect to the authentication / login servers

Start -> Find/Run -> Regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Tequila . Remove everything inside the Tequila key

Updated the guide with this!

Hey Silk, I'm new to the forums but it seems the homecoming discord link you have in the OP is expired. Can you please update it so that I can join the discord and ask any questions I may have? Going to try and install the game tonight.

From the announcements channel of COH discord today:

We finally have confirmation on user's Intel integrated graphics & Windows 10 issues. A community discussion with a member of the team behind Homecoming and SCORE revealed that both Intel and Windows 10 offer next-to-no support for OpenGL or legacy graphics engines, partially due to Microsoft's push for DirectX; Windows 10 doesn't even support hardware-accelerated OpenGL at all.

Most of these problems have been experienced by people using modern laptops. We're working on a better way to broadcast these problems for them to know about, and also discussed some possible future software solutions that could be built to overcome this hurdle and keep City of Heroes' game client functional on future hardware.

The latter will be further explored by our team down the road once server proliferation and i24 development is at a comfortable stage, but if anyone has a development group familiar with this type of development who would like to get started or lay out the groundwork, there's a lot of people out there who would appreciate it.

TL;DR: Crap performance on Windows 10 is to be expected (no hardware acceleration).

Guys you need to tell us what OS you are using if using tequila or whatnot otherwise it makes it hard to help. :)

Windows 10 and I still cannot seem to use the tequila.

Beorn

I love ALL Archetypes, but prefer to play them Blue-Side.

Back to the front, wonder why mods wont sticky this like they did in the previous forums.....4k+ views and I have to keep bumping.....

The mods have been largely absent moderating these forums, if you hadn't noticed. I think, as a volunteer force, they are pretty busy with the server side stuff. It would be nice if they'd hire some additional volunteer moderators (*raises hand*) that have the time and are willing to just moderate, but it looks like as of right now, that's not their interest. :'(

I'm out.

Wondering if anyone can help, i have looked about but struggling to find a fix. so the game loading strip appears when launching the game and then just nothing, it is a windows 10 operating system. have tried reinstall with no luck.

The fix for this is in the OP.  It's the same things that causes wrong game version problem or it can be a permission problem.

I'm on the latest MAC OS and I can't get past the Island Rum download. Every time it downloads the files I get messages telling me that "one or more files did not download" and then when I complete the download and run the program I get a "Error loading PList 100%"

Any idea what might be causing the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm on the latest MAC OS and I can't get past the Island Rum download. Every time it downloads the files I get messages telling me that "one or more files did not download" and then when I complete the download and run the program I get a "Error loading PList 100%"

Any idea what might be causing the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have an anti virus or something blocking some of the files in the download.  You should really go to discord though and ask in the mac channel as I am not familiar with mac.  I do know mac has a few more hoops to jump through than windows users.

@Silk:

<launch exec="score.exe" order="0" params="-patchdir score -patchversion 2019.04.19 -auth 178.62.218.227 -noversioncheck">SCORE</launch>

This should now be:

<launch exec="score.exe" order="0" params="-patchdir score -patchversion 2019.05.06 -auth 178.128.143.231">Homecoming</launch>

Replace the old version - having the old authserver IP would prevent users from connecting.

@Silk:

<launch exec="score.exe" order="0" params="-patchdir score -patchversion 2019.04.19 -auth 178.62.218.227 -noversioncheck">SCORE</launch>

This should now be:

<launch exec="score.exe" order="0" params="-patchdir score -patchversion 2019.05.06 -auth 178.128.143.231">Homecoming</launch>

Replace the old version - having the old authserver IP would prevent users from connecting.

Updated the OP with proper code.

Thanks for the catch @The Fifth Horseman, I am quite happy there someone else keeping an eye on this and catching any errors from updates like this.  Sometimes irl just runs away on me...lol

"City of Heroes has stopped working..." This is the message I keep getting when I try to launch, and it dies.

I've deleted game files from C drive and downloaded again from tequila twice. Still happens. Anyone help me out here, what am I doing wrong?