Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Silk

Hi. I followed all the instructions to install the game I even added exclusions to my Windows Security and antivirus but when I launched Tequila.exe, it seems to be stuck at "Downloading C:\CoH\City of Heroes\homecoming.exe" Help :)

How do you mean it stuck at downloading homecoming.exe?  Did you rename the score folder to homecoming?

IF it gets "stuck" something is blocking your download. 

Sorry  I have been busy doing car repairs the last couple days and still have some to do tomorrow...so haven't been around much here in the forums or in discord.

So here is the question... does this *HAVE* to be on the C Drive to work? My C drive is an SSD for my OSes Only. and I keep all my games on the platter drive (D:).

You can put it all in D/games/cityofheroes no problem, we suggest that otherwise people try to run the game right from their downloads folder, or documents etc etc and we suggest not making a games folder in the root as sometimes there issues with the game being in say d/city or c/city

Mac user here.  I seem to be having issues downloading the torrent from the link at all.  I don't think there's anything someone can help me with though unless there's a faster download somewhere?  I have to essentially set my download to start, then leave it for the day and hope it manages to finish.  The predictive "X hours left" of the download fluctuates wildly(generally starting at the 17-hour range, but bouncing between 1 day and 9 hours to start), and if there's even the SMALLEST interruption the download cancels and I have to start over.  Yesterday I started the download before I left for work at 8 am, got home at 6 pm and it had only finished 3.3/5.0GB, but it canceled itself about an hour after that.  So yeah, I'm pretty much stuck on Step Two.  :-\

Mac user here.  I seem to be having issues downloading the torrent from the link at all.  I don't think there's anything someone can help me with though unless there's a faster download somewhere?  I have to essentially set my download to start, then leave it for the day and hope it manages to finish.  The predictive "X hours left" of the download fluctuates wildly(generally starting at the 17-hour range, but bouncing between 1 day and 9 hours to start), and if there's even the SMALLEST interruption the download cancels and I have to start over.  Yesterday I started the download before I left for work at 8 am, got home at 6 pm and it had only finished 3.3/5.0GB, but it canceled itself about an hour after that.  So yeah, I'm pretty much stuck on Step Two.  :-\

Here made this for you if you can use torrents.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:3AFBC62D7C92B5B55739DA4467DA54FA6D92BAB1&dn=cohmac.zip

You can try this too should be faster.

https://fil.email/jpL1toPR

Alrighty, thanks for the new way to download, but now I seem to be having a new issue.  I went through all the Mac steps, including the allowing thing through security, but once it's allowed, and it's doing its verifying thing, it finishes that... and nothing happens.  I can even look in my Force Quit menu, and it's THERE.  For a bit.  Then eventually it disappears and nothing happens.  It even shows up on my menu Dock for a bit too.

Alrighty, thanks for the new way to download, but now I seem to be having a new issue.  I went through all the Mac steps, including the allowing thing through security, but once it's allowed, and it's doing its verifying thing, it finishes that... and nothing happens.  I can even look in my Force Quit menu, and it's THERE.  For a bit.  Then eventually it disappears and nothing happens.  It even shows up on my menu Dock for a bit too.

You would need to reach out to Arakendo in the discord, he's usually in one of the two discords in my OP, as this is his project and I dont have a Mac so and not familiar enough with macOS to give more detailed help like that.

Someone on page 8 seemed to have a similar issue, dunno if this help you any.

Since I still had the downloaded .zip file I reinstalled. Whether that changed anything is up in the air. However I have found that if I click on CoH it attempts to start but nothing happens even if left running for 10 minutes. However as soon as I open the City of Heroes file (and thus open Terminal) the game instantly starts and works fine.

Downloaded everything, jumped into the game, it works great. But nothing I do will let me save a custom control configuration. As soon as I enter or leave an instance, back to default. Same with logging out. Np surprise, the GOH folder is read only. No matter what I do, the second I close the folder it goes back to read only. I've edited owners, permission, all that stuff and no joy. I gotta have my custom control scheme. :P

I still can't get this to work.  torrent is dead for me no seeders and the tiquila program won't download the pigg files.  guess new people cant play the game.  why hasn't anyone uploaded the files to a file hosting site?  seriously going to rely on a dial up speed downloader and a peer to peer sharing system?  no wonder the original died.

torrent is dead for me no seeders and the tiquila program won't download the pigg files.
By "torrent", do you mean magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FD5ADD155E5FD01D6013B026A8766E56C2841E3D&dn=City%20of%20Heroes ? It's working fine, with 10 seeds and 20 peers by my count. The problem is either with your network or your machine.

Make sure your antivirus and firewall aren't blocking Tequila and your torrent app.

guess new people cant play the game.
As seen in the post right above yours, they can and do.

why hasn't anyone uploaded the files to a file hosting site? seriously going to rely on a dial up speed downloader and a peer to peer sharing system?
1. Tequila downloads files from hosts funded by volunteers. And yes, those hosts are getting hammered by all the downloads.

2. There's nothing wrong with P2P sharing. Blizzard used BitTorrent for their downloaders for years.

3. Using a cyberlocker is actually less practical. The game is 4.5 GB and would have to be split into multiple chunks to fit onto most file hosting services. The free option on most of those services tends to be capped at 50 kbps download rate - so you're "only" looking at 26 hours of straight download, with whatever timeouts the hosting services imposed on you between downloading more than one file from their site (for some it can be an hour - AFTER your first download finishes - for others it can be several hours). Even mirrored across multiple services it would be a bloody pain to manage, and someone would have to periodically recheck and reupload the files.

no wonder the original died.
This isn't how the original was distributed - which, incidentally, had nothing to do with why it was shut down.

I still can't get this to work.  torrent is dead for me no seeders and the tiquila program won't download the pigg files.  guess new people cant play the game.  why hasn't anyone uploaded the files to a file hosting site?  seriously going to rely on a dial up speed downloader and a peer to peer sharing system?  no wonder the original died.

If you are talking about the cohmac.zp torrent it rather new and macOS is not as in use as windows so yeah  I'm about the only one seeding it right now.  Which is why I also gave a couple other option to download cohmac.zip

If you are talking about the windows torrent welp last time I check it had 60+ seeds and capped out my DL speed of 8.0MB/s which made it a under 10 download.

I checked it again just now and:

uB2OywT.png

so I dunno what you are going on about barring you got really unlucky and happened to try and download when all the seeder had their PC off for some reason which is highly unlikely So I have to say check out things on your end.

Downloaded everything, jumped into the game, it works great. But nothing I do will let me save a custom control configuration. As soon as I enter or leave an instance, back to default. Same with logging out. Np surprise, the GOH folder is read only. No matter what I do, the second I close the folder it goes back to read only. I've edited owners, permission, all that stuff and no joy. I gotta have my custom control scheme. :P

When in game I have a few things moved around and it keeps it that way but have you tried changing your settings then after hitting apply hitting the "save option to file" button?  I use that too. It creates a options.txt which should keep all your chosen changes?

If it worked there will be a message in the top chat windows saying savedin c/games/coh or cityofheroes  etc

Installation for MacOS

Step two:

Download the "cohmac" archive

Silk ... I'm kind of wondering if it might be possible to squeeze in a copy of Pine's i25 v2 into the cohmax.zip archive and rig it to use the wine emulator in this bundle so as to be able to download not only the game itself but also a working copy of Pine so as to be able to run and use Pine without resorting to dual booting to Windows (which is what I'm doing right now, and it sucks like you'd imagine).  That way we could put all of the functional software in an operational state while booted to a MacOS drive.

Would this be a terribly difficult thing to do?

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

When in game I have a few things moved around and it keeps it that way but have you tried changing your settings then after hitting apply hitting the "save option to file" button?  I use that too. It creates a options.txt which should keep all your chosen changes?

If it worked there will be a message in the top chat windows saying savedin c/games/coh or cityofheroes  etc

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with the save options button, I even saw feedback about the saved file, which was why it was so annoying when it didn't work, the controls would revert as soon as

I changed zones and loading from the file did nothing. I'm in the middle of trying something right now, should know by morning if it worked. Rather hope it does, I spent years playing with my chosen control scheme and would hate to go back to the default.

Well, on the one hand, all keybinds still reset when I zone

On the other, I realized that the save options and save keybinds are two different buttons. So I can just reload every time. Less annoying than redoing all the binds. Kind of wonder how that's gonna work with multiple characters though.

Installation for MacOS

Step two:

Download the "cohmac" archive

Silk ... I'm kind of wondering if it might be possible to squeeze in a copy of Pine's i25 v2 into the cohmax.zip archive and rig it to use the wine emulator in this bundle so as to be able to download not only the game itself but also a working copy of Pine so as to be able to run and use Pine without resorting to dual booting to Windows (which is what I'm doing right now, and it sucks like you'd imagine).  That way we could put all of the functional software in an operational state while booted to a MacOS drive.

Would this be a terribly difficult thing to do?

I will ask Arakendo about it and see if he willing to do this in his next version.

EDIT:  I am told this is planned in the next version or so we upload. Not sure when that will be though.

So, I've deleted everything, mac-wise, and I'm starting over.  The cohmac.zip is redownloading now, but I had a thought and I figured I'd post it here to see if I'm right. 

I am someone who knows little-to-nothing about how my mac works, but I can follow directions pretty well, and I know how to FIND something on my computer, be it a "I've come across it before" or a "the internet can tell me where to find it".  That being said, are there baseline assumptions being made for what kinds of programs or knowledge I need to have PRIOR to starting "Step 1" on getting CoH to work?  Like, I have no idea what "wine" is, for example(aside from the alcoholic beverage, that is).

So, I've deleted everything, mac-wise, and I'm starting over.  The cohmac.zip is redownloading now, but I had a thought and I figured I'd post it here to see if I'm right. 

I am someone who knows little-to-nothing about how my mac works, but I can follow directions pretty well, and I know how to FIND something on my computer, be it a "I've come across it before" or a "the internet can tell me where to find it".  That being said, are there baseline assumptions being made for what kinds of programs or knowledge I need to have PRIOR to starting "Step 1" on getting CoH to work?  Like, I have no idea what "wine" is, for example(aside from the alcoholic beverage, that is).

I am not an macOS expert either sadly, I have relayed this from Arakendo from discord.  Wine I think it just a wrapper and this mac install is what mac user call a bottle which should contain everything for the game to run.

I think wine is kind of like VM so to speak, but don't quote me on that lol, is a layer which allows windows program to run or be translated into something macOS can run.

im not sure why again my game is lagging unless i move the scalling bar down used to be able to play on 1080 but now at that setting its all laggy until i slide it way down, followed all the steps on how to fix it but im missing something i guess