One Computer to rule them all - Super Group base invention system overhaul

Having over 20+ level 50 toons its a honestly a real pain and time consuming process to create and IO a level 50 character. 

If you are fortunate enough to have enough money to buy already crafted IOs this isn't much of an issue.

But If your middle class like many players its a bit of both. You spend BIG INF on things you need E.G. Winter IO's and some purple sets and then craft  and convert what is in your inventory. 

What  I would like to see happen is the following. 

Have the ability to dump all your recipe's into one bin in your S.G base.  Have another bin for Salvage. 

Then let the super computer link the two together. 

Maybe make some sort of option at PW2 to buy the super computer and/or unique storage bins or make it a purchase for INF straight from the SG customization menu as a form of INF sink if needed.

Leave the other storage bins for brain storm tokens, Converters, ETC. and for decorations. 

The concept is basically to make the level 50 build process a bit easier to organize at the same time giving the player the same immersion they currently have in the game. 

• Like 1

Heck, I would even be happy if they could simply modify the crafting code so that it could treat the contents of Salvage Racks as if they were part of your personal storage while inside the base for crafting purposes.   It drives me nuts when I have a half dozen recipes i could craft, but first i have to spend 5 minutes fetching crap out of salvage racks before I can make them.

Recipe storage isn't offered in bases to prevent/minimize hoarding.  It encourages players to either craft or sell recipes.  This stimulates the player economy, and creates much-needed Inf sinks, as crafting/buying recipes always costs Inf.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

31 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Recipe storage isn't offered in bases to prevent/minimize hoarding.  It encourages players to either craft or sell recipes.  This stimulates the player economy, and creates much-needed Inf sinks, as crafting/buying recipes always costs Inf.

I think it's also likely that recipe storage isn't offered because recipes didn't exist at the time the storage items were added to the game.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Increase storage capacity, now you spend more time looking for stuff.

Link storage, you have instant access to all your stuff to the point AH is dead.  Now its harder to aquire recipes, no one will be offering since they hoarde until they need it.  Higher prices and trade, like Hammie-O back in the day.

Change the craft system, higher INF prices to remove it from the game or might as well get rid of INF since  back in the day, INF was worthless once you hit 50 and full SO slot, maybe some HO.  Fast forward to crafting, it has a use.

Biggest assumptions is you think you need a high end build but you don't.  Game was designed around SO, got more difficult over the years with new content, but if you IO out and Incarnate the game loses that challenge.  And than you move on to the next character, IO out, rinse repeat needing more IOs and hoarding.

Problem is a human habit, best off breaking that habit of hoarding and desire for high end builds.  IO out the favorites, make alts with out OP birds so you can enjoy challenging content or you are going burn out from frustration and boredom. Play the game, enjoy it, take time to build those characters.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

4 hours ago, macskull said:

I think it's also likely that recipe storage isn't offered because recipes didn't exist at the time the storage items were added to the game.

That doesn't make any sense: by that logic, there wouldn't be any Salvage storage, either.  I can imagine that Enhancement and Inspiration storage might predate the Invention system.  However, I can't imagine that they would include Salvage storage without Recipe storage, unless they did so intentionally, as explained above.

@Rathstar

14 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I disagree with you.

If you have Billions on hand then its not an issue.

You are suggesting that I MUST sell all or a Majority of my IO recipes that I will not need today and my Salvage on this toon because they don't need it on the Market to stimulate the player economy. 

I can tell you I can do that. But I will still have many IO sets and salvage I want  to save for many other builds  I want to create. 

My suggestion has nothing to do with the player economy.  It has to do with creating and end game build and the hours pooling the resources together.

I might not have billions to spare to spend on the market but I have enough resources, the problem is they are NOT pulled all together in one place.

They are all over the place.

I would like one crafting type table that links all my recipes and all my salvage for the stuff I DON'T want to sell. 

So I don't have to spend hours at level 50 logging off and on different toons to find recipes I need along with the salvage.  For me at least it can be 4 to 5 hours juggling this stuff. 

This does not include the IOs I don't have and need to purchase. Thus it could take days to create the level 50 build. 

I accept the Market wait time for those IOs needed. 

Let me cut down the 4 to 5 hours to 30 minutes.. 

let me play another bunch of toons for the 4 hours I just saved. 

11 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

That doesn't make any sense: by that logic, there wouldn't be any Salvage storage, either.  I can imagine that Enhancement and Inspiration storage might predate the Invention system.  However, I can't imagine that they would include Salvage storage without Recipe storage, unless they did so intentionally, as explained above.

IIRC, salvage storage predated the Invention system, because you needed both Prestige -- obtained by playing in SG mode -- and base salvage, which was drops of components that were needed to craft base items. Virtually everything you did with your base needed some combination of base salvage and paying the Prestige cost for it. Base salvage was eventually eliminated, but the Prestige cost for base items remained.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

IIRC, salvage storage predated the Invention system, because you needed both Prestige -- obtained by playing in SG mode -- and base salvage, which was drops of components that were needed to craft base items. Virtually everything you did with your base needed some combination of base salvage and paying the Prestige cost for it. Base salvage was eventually eliminated, but the Prestige cost for base items remained.

Ok, now I see what you mean.  The existing Salvage storage feature was for the legacy Salvage needed for base components, not Inventions/Recipes.  That makes sense -- and reinforces the notion that the original devs didn't want Recipe storage in bases, otherwise they would have added it.  Or they just never got around to adding Recipe storage at all, because they didn't consider it a priority. 

Either way, whether or not it was intentional, I think excluding Recipe storage is a good thing, precisely to prevent hoarding and compel player action (hold, craft, or sell).  Technically, hoarding is still a possibility, especially on HC where one has 1K char slots per shard.  If one really wanted to hoard Recipes, one could simply create "mule" chars to hold them. 

But I don't think that addresses the OP's original request/suggestion.  That's a separate reply.

@Rathstar

3 hours ago, plainguy said:

I disagree with you.

If you have Billions on hand then its not an issue.

You are suggesting that I MUST sell all or a Majority of my IO recipes that I will not need today and my Salvage on this toon because they don't need it on the Market to stimulate the player economy. 

I can tell you I can do that. But I will still have many IO sets and salvage I want  to save for many other builds  I want to create. 

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind.  I was merely pointing out that the exclusion of Recipe storage may have been a mechanism (intentional or not) of compelling players to craft or sell their Recipes, instead of hoarding them in base storage.  I might be wrong about that, but I still think that's a good idea, for the reasons I stated. 

One doesn't need to store Recipes to save IO sets or Salvage for other builds: simply craft the Recipes and store the resulting Enhancements, and/or store the required Salvage for them.  That's what I'm doing: whenever I get a Recipe that I think I might want/need, or consider valuable, I craft it into a fungible Enhancement that I can either use or store.  I don't need to store the Recipe itself.  And if I can't craft that particular Recipe at the moment because I don't have the required resources (Inf or Salvage), then I either hold on to it, or email it to an alt, for later.  It's not rocket surgery.

3 hours ago, plainguy said:

My suggestion has nothing to do with the player economy.  It has to do with creating and end game build and the hours pooling the resources together.

I might not have billions to spare to spend on the market but I have enough resources, the problem is they are NOT pulled all together in one place.

They are all over the place.

I would like one crafting type table that links all my recipes and all my salvage for the stuff I DON'T want to sell. 

So I don't have to spend hours at level 50 logging off and on different toons to find recipes I need along with the salvage.  For me at least it can be 4 to 5 hours juggling this stuff. 

This does not include the IOs I don't have and need to purchase. Thus it could take days to create the level 50 build. 

Ok, now I understand what you're asking for: you're asking for a crafting storage/resource management system that's account-bound, perhaps similar to that of other games, like Guild Wars.  I agree with you that such a system would indeed be nice to have.  I'd love to be able to have a "single pane of glass" where I could see and access the Enhancements, Recipes, and Salvage on all of my characters across all shards.  That's a great suggestion. 

Right now, I maintain a spreadsheet with information about my characters and their Inf plus equipped Enhancements, in case I need to "rob Peter to pay Paul".  For example, because the Gladiator's Armor +3 Def and Panacea +HP/End proc IOs are so expensive, I often slot/unslot them from character to character, depending on which are more active than others.  I have 36 characters across all 5 shards, but I don't play all of them routinely.  The spreadsheet is my way of keeping track which chars have the expensive procs, so I can re-assign them whenever necessary. 

But maintaining a separate spreadsheet outside the game is pretty cumbersome.  So I'd definitely support an alternative mechanism inside the game for managing inventory.  You have my support for such an idea.

• Like 2

@Rathstar

I'm not really *against* recipe storage as such, but I admit I find it FAR more efficient to craft the recipe, possibly convert it, very likely auction it, and then buy the IO I actually want. 

(which for me, is usually an Attuned IO, but maybe an un-attuned 50 for say, a Purple set or a PvP set)

I find I come out ahead with this so much that I don't WANT to actually store dropped recipes. 

Although I can't say it should be forbidden to other players.  I mean, they can already store quite a lot of recipes via email to your own global, or stash it on the AH but not post for sale, etc. 

Not sure how much recipe storage would really matter in the grand scheme.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I'm not really *against* recipe storage as such, but I admit I find it FAR more efficient to craft the recipe, possibly convert it, very likely auction it, and then buy the IO I actually want. 

(which for me, is usually an Attuned IO, but maybe an un-attuned 50 for say, a Purple set or a PvP set)

I find I come out ahead with this so much that I don't WANT to actually store dropped recipes. 

Although I can't say it should be forbidden to other players.  I mean, they can already store quite a lot of recipes via email to your own global, or stash it on the AH but not post for sale, etc. 

Not sure how much recipe storage would really matter in the grand scheme.

Yeah, that's basically what I do with mine, as well.  My SG bases (plural) become the mechanism for centralizing and storing resources -- except for Recipes.  And because I can't store Recipes, I just go ahead and craft them into Enhancements, which I can store.  So all of my SG bases have multiple Enhancement and Salvage storage bins.  A few are even separated by SG rank: I have a few that are restricted to me and my alts, and a few that are open to everyone else in the SG.

I have at least one Salvage bin for oranges, and another for yellows.  In some of the SG bases, I don't bother storing the whites because they're so cheap and plentiful.  In those SG bases where I do have bins for whites, I usually have at least 2 (more often 3-4), and they're available to anyone.  And I usually also have a separate bin for Special (non-Invention) Salvage: boosters, brain storms, catalysts, converters, unslotters.  In one of my SGs, I have a separate bin for Holiday Salvage.

I don't store TOs/DOs/SOs in bins, as they're readily available.  Instead, I have separate bins for common IOs.  At least one for 25s, one for 30s, one for 35s, and one for 50s (I usually don't bother with 40s or 45s).  Then I have separate bins for named/set-bonus IOs.  These are usually restricted to me, my alts, or SG officers.

So even without bins for Recipes, base storage offers a lot of flexibility.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

On 5/6/2020 at 4:31 PM, Rathulfr said:

Yeah, that's basically what I do with mine, as well.  My SG bases (plural) become the mechanism for centralizing and storing resources -- except for Recipes.  And because I can't store Recipes, I just go ahead and craft them into Enhancements, which I can store.  So all of my SG bases have multiple Enhancement and Salvage storage bins.  A few are even separated by SG rank: I have a few that are restricted to me and my alts, and a few that are open to everyone else in the SG.

I have at least one Salvage bin for oranges, and another for yellows.  In some of the SG bases, I don't bother storing the whites because they're so cheap and plentiful.  In those SG bases where I do have bins for whites, I usually have at least 2 (more often 3-4), and they're available to anyone.  And I usually also have a separate bin for Special (non-Invention) Salvage: boosters, brain storms, catalysts, converters, unslotters.  In one of my SGs, I have a separate bin for Holiday Salvage.

I don't store TOs/DOs/SOs in bins, as they're readily available.  Instead, I have separate bins for common IOs.  At least one for 25s, one for 30s, one for 35s, and one for 50s (I usually don't bother with 40s or 45s).  Then I have separate bins for named/set-bonus IOs.  These are usually restricted to me, my alts, or SG officers.

So even without bins for Recipes, base storage offers a lot of flexibility.

My SG base is Maxed out.  Except one storage bin I use to transfer over enhancement converters or high end salvage.

IF I could make more SG bases with the ability to link them together like in a coalition to get access I would..  But sadly you can't. So all my toons are in one S.G. 

I am telling you I have at easily 30 purple IOs across all my tons.  Some ATO and some winter IOs I specced out of. 

I hold tons of stuff on Market as well. 

I just go down the line from toon to toon and pulling what materials I think I might need.  I run my sons old account as a mule to hold stuff as well. Some times I send him out ( the mule ) buy stuff on market and email it to main account so the toon I am working on doesn't have to zone out. Every 50 merits I convert to hero merits and email to the toon I am working on. 

I try to keep all my toons in places for instant log off as well.

From personal experience I have come across times when trying to get any level 50 defense IO is an arm and a leg price. You are buying Red Fortune Endurance IOs for 4 million to convert to LOTG or reactive.  So I realize that when I come across a Red Fortune or a Reactive I keep it. Same with some KB IOs and Holds IOs.  Because trying to buy Lockdown or Basilisk Gaze sometimes is expensive. 

So I might start with 200 million and a bunch of IOs and converters and then formulate my plan based on the market prices and what IOs I really need to buy for the build. EG ATO or Winter IOs. 

But as you now understand the setup time is just a dam pain in the backside.. 

On 5/6/2020 at 1:46 PM, ShardWarrior said:

You really do not need billions of influence to build out a character.

No I know you don't. 

But if you have billions then you are not concerned about anything price wise on the market.. You can just buy all the crafted IOs you want.