Mixing attuned and unattuned IOs

I had a power slotted with 4 unattuned set IOs, getting the 4-piece set bonus. I thought I would buy attuned versions, unslot the old, slot the new, and sell the unattuned versions. However, I was only able to get 3 of the 4 attuned pieces immediately. So I went ahead and replaced the 3 with attuned versions and noticed that I was still getting the 4-piece set bonus. 

I was under the impression that having, say, one attuned io and one unattuned io in the same power would not get you the set bonus. They would either have to be both attuned or both unattuned. Am I wrong? Is this new behavior? A bug?

WAI.  As long as they are the same set, in the same power, both attuned and not work together.

The level(s) you lose set bonuses at will vary.  The first 2 bonuses will go down to minimum set level -3.  The 3rd bonus (from slotting 4) will drop at the more than -3 of the level of the one unattuned IO.

Edit:  You may be thinking of Winter IOs and ATOs.  The normal and superior versions of those don't mix.

Edited by Caulderone

3 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

Edit:  You may be thinking of Winter IOs and ATOs.  The normal and superior versions of those don't mix.

Yeah, anything with a "superior" version behaves that way, but sets without an upgradeable "superior" version will give the bonus as long as you currently meet the minimum level requirement with all the pieces required for that bonus.  I.e., if it's an attuned level range 20-50 set, you could use it at 17 (say, exemplaring), but if one non-attuned piece is 25, you'd have to be 22 (within 3 levels less that the IO) to get that sixth-piece bonus.

Okay. Just one of things things where you think you know stuff that turns out to be not true. 

I guess now I don’t have to attune my performance shifter chance for +end to go with my attuned endmod any more, other than OCD reasons...

28 minutes ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Okay. Just one of things things where you think you know stuff that turns out to be not true. 

I guess now I don’t have to attune my performance shifter chance for +end to go with my attuned endmod any more, other than OCD reasons...

If the global Performance Shifter %+End is at the lowest possible level, this is true.

I do this with the Gaussian's IO set.  I boost the 4 with +ToHit, and attune the other two. 

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

3 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

^^^^ except that purples and pvp IOs should be boosted rather than attuned even if you don't want to exemp, as they already work the same as attuned. 

Except the procs. No need to boost the Glad Armor 3% Def, as you get the 3% no matter what level you are. Same with the other "chance to XXXXX".

If I buy it before lvl 50 I attune it. Some of the lvl 50's I plus 5 them if I think it will make a big difference. For instance, if I use a Dam/EndRdx, and thats the only end reduction in the power, I will +5 it to get the maximum End Rdx out of those slots.

Edited by KC4800
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

6 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

I think procs have boosting disabled so we don't accidentally waste boosters during the mind numbing process.

You can convert a boosted PVP into a PVP proc, if so desired. (for teh lulz)