Should I Continue The Archetype Challenge?

BasherBot

Archetype Challenge?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you all like me to continue or restart the Archetype Challenge?

• Yes, Definitely
    • No, it's not all that interesting

A couple months back, I started a challenge where I planned to lvl each and every archetype/powerset combination the game had to offer. I ended up putting the challenge on hiatus due to stress and motivation issues that have since been dealt with. Today I would like to ask, would anyone still be interested in me continuing this challenge or potentially restarting it with a new set of rules?

5 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I vote:   "Yes, if you would enjoy doing it."

I would enjoy doing it, this is just me seeing if the community would be interesting in seeing my progress or would like to get involved in any way

6 minutes ago, MTeague said:

You're missing a poll choice for "Good God Man! Where do you find that kind of time!??"

So I'm gonna vote "No" because I don't think anybody should be turning a game they enjoy into a slog of things that they feel obligated to do.

being jobless and in the middle of a quarantine has given me a ton of time, but I can understand that it's something that would take time and could eventually become a slog after a while (plus every new powerset that is introduced by the HC team would increase the number of characters to create, which would eventually lead to an issue with character slots)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BasherBot said:

being jobless and in the middle of a quarantine has given me a ton of time, but I can understand that it's something that would take time and could eventually become a slog after a while (plus every new powerset that is introduced by the HC team would increase the number of characters to create, which would eventually lead to an issue with character slots)

Well... there's that.  I don't remember who said it, but something like "The only thing worse than having to get up and go to work.... is not having to get up and go to work."

I'm fortunate enough that I can work from home.  My hours are wierd as hell, but, I have a job, and that takes me off of the "People with a right to complain" list.

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

It's purely up to if you have fun doing it. If you do, go for it. If not, perfect time to take a break. The only reason my input should have any impact is if I were paying you to do it. 🙂

I did a "one of every control set to 50" back on live - but I didn't concentrate solely on that, even while playing them. I played what I felt like playing with that as a "behind the scenes" goal. It kept it from being a chore.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Sounds more like work than fun.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

4 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Sounds more like work than fun.

Yes, but that's more of an individual thing. I think trying to get all... what, 1600 badges? sounds tedious, but people enjoy doing it. Same with tweaking builds to get every last tent of a percentage point of recharge, damage, etc. Not interested, but others are and find it fun. *shrug*

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, BasherBot said:

I would enjoy doing it, this is just me seeing if the community would be interesting in seeing my progress or would like to get involved in any way

😮  I would definitely be interested in seeing you do it, if only because then I would know who to ask about potential AT/powerset combos.

You would basically be THE expert on EVERYTHING!

• Haha 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs so far.
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

4 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Yes, but that's more of an individual thing. I think trying to get all... what, 1600 badges? sounds tedious, but people enjoy doing it. Same with tweaking builds to get every last tent of a percentage point of recharge, damage, etc. Not interested, but others are and find it fun. *shrug*

Doesn't seem Basherbot is very interested in it anymore. He put up a poll asking if he should still do it for the community more than himself.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

19 minutes ago, Greycat said:

It's purely up to if you have fun doing it. If you do, go for it. If not, perfect time to take a break. The only reason my input should have any impact is if I were paying you to do it. 🙂

I did a "one of every control set to 50" back on live - but I didn't concentrate solely on that, even while playing them. I played what I felt like playing with that as a "behind the scenes" goal. It kept it from being a chore.

One thing I do intend of doing is having more then one character to work on, since I enjoy having a variety. So I was looking at having a alphabetical character, a "for fun" character and maybe having a suggestion/voted in character

3 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Doesn't seem Basherbot is very interested in it anymore. He put up a poll asking if he should still do it for the community more than himself.

I am still interested, I would likely still continue it in the background regardless of the results... it just would be nice to have some community involvement during the whole deal

10 minutes ago, Shocktacular said:

😮  I would definitely be interested in seeing you do it, if only because then I would know who to ask about potential AT/powerset combos.

You would basically be THE expert on EVERYTHING!

I wouldn't say I'd be an expert lol... but definitely a jack-of-all-trades

It would be interesting to see your opinions and takeaways from the exercise, because they'd be based around mostly how the characters were to level and based on a wide range of level content, while I think a large part of the forum community is weighted on how characters perform at 50, and having a roughly uniform amount of time and effort spent on each character is the closest thing to a 'controlled experiment' we're ever likely to see.

I say why not?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

So . . . let's turn this around  . . . 

What would you like from the community to make this as enjoyable for you as possible?  If it's something the community can give you, then it sounds like there's room to proceed.

I would mostly asking for feedback and suggestions on the approach (and potentially votes on the next set up if I decide to have community votes for some of the characters)

5 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I'd recommend a staggered approach.  Rather than doing all Blasters, do a Blaster, then a Scrapper, then a Defender, then a Tanker, then a Controller, et cetera.  Once you've done one of each Archetype, cycle back and start back at Blaster.

should I also stagger by ranged to melee? or do you think it's alright to overlap ranged and melee occasionally?

You'll probably have to.   Honestly, given how many more Melee Sets there are than other Types of Sets, and how many Archetypes have the same Melee and Survival Sets, you may even need to pre-math this out to find an optimal balance.

Or . . . just wing it.

OR OR!   Roll Randomly!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19294-a-random-idea/?tab=comments#comment-215437

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

You'll probably have to.   Honestly, given how many more Melee Sets there are than other Types of Sets, and how many Archetypes have the same Melee and Survival Sets, you may even need to pre-math this out to find an optimal balance.

Or . . . just wing it.

OR OR!   Roll Randomly!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19294-a-random-idea/?tab=comments#comment-215437

ah, RNG... a classic XD

1 hour ago, Machariel said:

It would be interesting to see your opinions and takeaways from the exercise, because they'd be based around mostly how the characters were to level and based on a wide range of level content, while I think a large part of the forum community is weighted on how characters perform at 50, and having a roughly uniform amount of time and effort spent on each character is the closest thing to a 'controlled experiment' we're ever likely to see.

I say why not?

now the question is should I do the slow route, the power lvling route or a mix of the two?

with how many methods of getting a character from lvl 1 to lvl 50 there are, determining the preferred method for this challenge would help with the control part of this controlled experiment 😛

I would be interested in learning which combinations work well together.  I haven't done the math yet, but is 1000 slots enough?

I've set myself the more modest challenges of getting every armor set on a tanker or brute to 50 (missing Ice, Stone, Energy, working on Reflexes) and one of every basic AT to 50 (no Defender yet). 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I would be interested in learning which combinations work well together.  I haven't done the math yet, but is 1000 slots enough?

I've set myself the more modest challenges of getting every armor set on a tanker or brute to 50 (missing Ice, Stone, Energy, working on Reflexes) and one of every basic AT to 50 (no Defender yet). 

from what I remember, the 1000 slots is server bound, not account bound. So, theoretically, there are a total of 5000 slots to work with

221 Stalker Combos, or 17 Stalkers minimum to get one with each Power Set.

144 Controller Combos, or 16 Controllers minimum.

247 Scrapper Combos, or 19 minimum.

169 Blaster Combos, or 13 minimum.

88 Dominator Combos, or 11 minimum.

286 Brute Combos, or 22 minimum.

264 Tanker Combos, or 22 minimum.

156 Sentinel Combos, or 13 minimum.

208 Corruptor Combos, or 16 minimum.

112 Mastermind Combos, or 16 minimum.

208 Defender Combos, or 16 minimum.

3 Widow Builds.

3 Soldier Builds.

2 Peacebringer.

2 Warshade.

Grand totals of:

2113 unique combinations

or

191 with minimal Set repetition for each Archetype.

or

88 if we treat Sets as "the same thing" between different Archetypes.

(Note:  This was slapped together without proofreading or error correction.   Numbers may have been calculated incorrectly.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1