If you could...

If you could live in any fictional universe, but you had to do so as a background person, ie if you live in the Harry Potter universe you are a muggle, which one would you live in and why? Personally I think I would pick Star Trek post dominion war. Lots of cool tech and never having to cook dinner again.

• Like 2

DC Universe post Crisis (86).  When heroes were out and out heroes!  I'd feel safe walking any street in the world (except Gotham...why anybody still lives there is a mystery to me).

• Haha 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

You would never get me out of the Holodeck.  I would be in there 24/7/365.

They never really got into it, but I assume that there is some sort of limiting factor for the holodecks? Like on DS9, Quark charges to use them. I figure you get a certain allowance of holodeck time per month?

8 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Same reason I want an Amusphere...  With a Full Dive (virtual reality) rig (unlike a Holodeck AFAIK), you're no longer limited by your physical body.

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

• 1 month later

Honorverse

Extended lifespans.  Extremely advanced medical tech.  

They have full hologram entertainment tv/movies and w/e.  They eat normal food.  Most people have middle class lifestyle (ymmv)  

People have the right to vote.  There is freedom of expression.  Near universal access to education.  

Warfare does its best not to target civilians.  Mostly all happens in space.

Most of the crapsack world stuff are on the fringes.  

There are no world gobbling space anomalies or homicidal alien zombie cyborgs, etc.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later
On 6/17/2020 at 9:47 PM, Communistpenguin said:

If you could live in any fictional universe, but you had to do so as a background person, ie if you live in the Harry Potter universe you are a muggle, which one would you live in and why? Personally I think I would pick Star Trek post dominion war. Lots of cool tech and never having to cook dinner again.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:27 PM, ShardWarrior said:

On 6/18/2020 at 6:35 PM, Communistpenguin said:

They never really got into it, but I assume that there is some sort of limiting factor for the holodecks? Like on DS9, Quark charges to use them. I figure you get a certain allowance of holodeck time per month?

On 6/18/2020 at 9:49 PM, ImpousVileTerror said:

Fairly sure I recall that being expressly stated with Barcley in Voyager.  That he had exceeded his monthly allotments for several months running.

I'm pretty sure the allotments are due to Barclay's position in Starfleet.  Whether that is due to power rationing, such as was necessary on Voyager, or just Starfleet's way of making sure their crews stay mentally healthy, I'm not sure.  As to Quark's holosuites...well, he's Ferengi.  Of course he charges.  That said, it's been noted that DS9 is on the edge of Federation space, and money is still very much a thing anywhere but in the heart of the Federation.  In there, you have this nebulously explained concept of no money.  People just willingly work, and take in proper proportion.  Roddenberry had a lot of faith in humanity, and in wrinkled-foreheaded human-like beings everywhere.  I rather think if there's a limitation to holodeck usage, it's not currency, it'd be social pressure.  If you weren't in Starfleet, they'd simply monitor your usage and apply increasing pressure to get you to go outside.

Post-Dominion War sounds good, so long as you're nowhere galactically near the Hobus Supernova.  Replicator technology is so good, you can create just about anything.  I was going to say integrate me on the planet of artists that is now a protectorate, so I can train in art, but I think now I'd rather be dropped off to live with the Ba'Ku on their adopted, life-extending homeworld.  Little to no tech, to be sure, but an honest, rewarding living, with time to heal from age and disease, and then spend several lifetimes learning skill after skill in-depth. Since many of those skills are arts & crafts based, I get my art training in the end.