Help with Rad/Sonic

Luminis

Hi, so I'm extremely new to like, actually thinking out builds rather than slapping on enhancements willy nilly that I think would be helpful. I decided to run a defender with radiation/sonic and also hover for mobility/protection, and I'm wondering where to start with stuff like slotting.

I've been told that looking for enhancement sets will be my best bet, but I hardly know any, so I would really appreciate some pointers of how to go about actually thinking out slots and stuff.

You get like 5 free respecs - so while leveling just look at the abilities you're using the most/like the most, enhance those with 2 enhancements of a single type. Later on at 50 then you can start looking at things...

Primarily for damage you should just use IOs starting at level 25? with basic invention ones - so 2x Acc, 2x Damage, 2x End redux. They'll last you till 50. Everything else will probably be too expensive for a while!

Here is a super basic slotting scheme for Rad/Sonic.

This build obviously only includes basic invention IOs but here are some priority upgrades to include for this build:
ASAP purchase these IOs:

Stamina: Performance Shifter +end proc and Performance Shifter EndMod
Health: Numina's Convalescence Regeneration/Recovery and Miracle +Recovery

These 4 IOs will make a HUGE difference to your endurance recovery situation and they are all relatively cheap to buy, between 2 and 5 million inf each. Once you have these, save up to get Panacea +Hitpoints/Endurance for your 3rd slot in Health. Panacea is much more expensive at 10 mill than the others but it is well worth it.

After you have Health and Stamina sorted, you can go on to various Single Slot IOs that will help you survive:

Reactive Defences Scaling Resist Damage
Unbreakable Guard +Max HP
Steadfast Protection Resistance/+3% Def
Aegis Psionic/Status Resistance
Impervious Skin Status Resistance
Gladiator's Armor TP Protection +3% Def (All)
Shield Wall Res (Teleportation) +5% Res (All)

Luck of the Gambler Defence/Increased Global Recharge Speed (You can fit 5 of these in your build)

The best way to get money to buy these IOs for your build is to convert Merit Rewards to cash using the Merit Vending Machine to buy Enhancement Boosters and selling those on the Auction house. Doing this will get you around 25 million inf per 100 Merit tokens. Just find groups and join Task Forces and you should be able to amass them fairly quickly (roughly 25-50 per TF depending on which you are doing). Just make sure you are varying which you do because you only get full Merits once per day for each TF, after the first its half for every time in the same day

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Defender
Primary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Secondary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Power Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- Heal-I(A), Heal-I(3), Heal-I(3), RechRdx-I(5), RechRdx-I(5), RechRdx-I(7)
Level 1: Shriek -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(7), Dmg-I(9), Acc-I(9), Acc-I(11), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 2: Radiation Infection -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(37)
Level 4: Hover -- DefBuff-I(A), Flight-I(13), DefBuff-I(46)
Level 6: Howl -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(13), Dmg-I(15), Acc-I(15), Acc-I(17), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 8: Accelerate Metabolism -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19), RechRdx-I(19), EndMod-I(40), EndMod-I(42)
Level 10: Shockwave -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(21), Dmg-I(21), Acc-I(23), Acc-I(23), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 12: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(42)
Level 14: Lingering Radiation -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25), EndRdx-I(43)
Level 16: Shout -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(27), Dmg-I(27), Acc-I(29), Acc-I(29), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 18: Choking Cloud -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(31), EndRdx-I(43)
Level 20: Amplify -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- EndRdx-I(A), DefBuff-I(33), DefBuff-I(33)
Level 24: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 28: Tough -- EndRdx-I(A), ResDam-I(33), ResDam-I(34), Empty(50)
Level 30: Weave -- EndRdx-I(A), DefBuff-I(34), DefBuff-I(34), Empty(50)
Level 32: EM Pulse -- EndRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36), RechRdx-I(36), RechRdx-I(43), Empty(48), Empty(50)
Level 35: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Dreadful Wail -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(39), Dmg-I(39), Acc-I(39), RechRdx-I(40), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 41: Power Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 44: Temp Invulnerability -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(45), ResDam-I(45), ResDam-I(45), ResDam-I(46), Empty(46)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Vengeance -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Heal-I(A), Heal-I(36), Heal-I(37)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(37)
------------

Edited by Seigmoraig

There was a useful guide to Rad/Sonic defenders posted last summer. Here's my own advice, having played a Rad/Sonic as my "main" (or the closest thing I have to a main):

1. You can skip a lot of powers. In my build (posted below), I only took five Radiation powers and six Sonic powers. This gives you lots of space for pool powers.
  2. When you're starting out, you can use single-origin enhancements or standard invention origin enhancement. You will probably have a few standard IOs in your final build.
  3. When you start getting IO set enhancements, buy them attuned if you are under level 50. Don't buy purple enhancements (available only at level 50) attuned.
  4. In your radiation powers, you don't need a lot of enhancements, except on the AOE heal. Get some recharge on Accelerate Metabolism and Lingering Radiation. Get some endurance reduction on Radiation Infection and Enervating Field.
  5. I recommend two slots in Stamina and Health. You can start with generic SO enhancements. The Performance Shifter proc is not that expensive (a few million) and worth getting early as an attuned enhancement.
  6. For attacks, if you are slotting SOs or standard IOs, start with one accuracy, one damage, and one endurance reduction before you add a second enhancement of any type to a given power. Don't add three SOs/IOs of the same type to the same power.
  7. Thunderstrike is a good, cheap set to get for a single target ranged attack. With all six slots, you will get a useful ranged defense boost.
  8. A good long-range goal is to have 45% defense in at least one damage category. Some people build for ranged defense only. I like to soft-cap both ranged and melee defense, especially for a Sonic, because Dreadful Wail is a PBAoE power, and I like to be able to get in close. You will want to be able to get in close. Building both ranged and melee defense takes planning, though, and requires sacrificing some other things. Going for 45% S/L defense is another option, but it may be difficult to achieve with these powersets.
  9. Take Boxing and Tough early. When you take Tough, get three key IO set enhancements as soon as you can: the two 3% defense boosts (in Steadfast Protection and Gladiator's Armor) and the +HP from Unbreakable Guard.
  10. Get the procs from three healing sets: Numina's Convalescence, Panacea, and Miracle.
  11. Most builds include the scaling damage resistance from Reactive Defenses and the +5% damage resistance from Shield Wall. I didn't include these in my build because I decided to pursue softcapped positional defenses at all costs.

Here's my build. It won't be the build you use, since you want Hover, but it may give you some ideas. I do not use Thunder Strike in team play because of the knockback. (It's in my build mainly as a set mule.)

Edit: You have choices about which attacks to take. The game makes you take Shriek, and Dreadful Wail is a no-brainer. I strongly suggest taking Screech. You start your single-target rotation with it (for the -res rather than the damage). Which other attacks to take is a harder call. Don't take them all.

Spoiler

https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Level 50 Science Defender
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Electricity Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(5), NmnCnv-Heal(7), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7)
Level 1: Shriek -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(37), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 2: Radiation Infection -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(5)
Level 6: Howl -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(11), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(13)
Level 8: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(13), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(15), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(15), RedFrt-Def(17), RedFrt-EndRdx(17)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)
Level 16: Shout -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(33)
Level 18: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(19), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(19), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), RedFrt-Def(27), RedFrt-EndRdx(29)
Level 20: Amplify -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(21), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(21), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(23), GssSynFr--Build%(25)
Level 22: Lingering Radiation -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 26: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 28: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 30: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(33)
Level 35: Screech -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(50)
Level 38: Dreadful Wail -- SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(40)
Level 41: Electric Fence -- EnfOpr-Acc/Rchg(A), EnfOpr-EndRdx/Immob(42), EnfOpr-Acc/EndRdx(42), EnfOpr-Immob/Rng(42), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob/Rchg(43), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob(43)
Level 44: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45)
Level 47: Thunder Strike -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(48), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(48), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), Obl-%Dam(50)
Level 49: Power Sink -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(40)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(34)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
------------

Edited by Bastille Boy

• 2 weeks later

This weekend I respecced my Rad/Sonic defender. I realized I wasn't using the attacks in Electricity Mastery at all. If I'm going to use attacks as set mules, it makes sense to use Brawl and Boxing, rather than a couple of level 40+ powers. I exemplar a lot with this toon, so having decent melee defense at low levels is useful.

Since I'm taking only three powers from Mu Mastery, I have room in my build for Assault. I rarely need to use Conserve Power and Power Sink, even with all my toggles active. I suppose I could skip either Power Sink or Conserve Power in favor of one more power from my primary, but this is what I'm doing for now.

Edit: Mids says this build gives me softcap melee and ranged defenses. In-game, I seem to be getting only 43.65%. Not sure what's missing. I haven't done all the +5s yet, and I still need to buy the Hamidon enhancement, but I have a +5 on the LotG in Combat Jumping. Not sure what's up. 43.65% is still good.

Spoiler

https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Level 50 Science Defender
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(5), NmnCnv-Heal(5), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7)
Level 1: Shriek -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 2: Radiation Infection -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(19)
Level 6: Howl -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(25)
Level 8: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(25), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(27), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), RedFrt-Def(29), RedFrt-EndRdx(29)
Level 12: Lingering Radiation -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Boxing -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(31), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(31), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), TchofDth-Dam%(33)
Level 16: Shout -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(36)
Level 18: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 20: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def(40), RedFrt-EndRdx(40)
Level 22: Amplify -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(40), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(42), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(42), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(42), GssSynFr--Build%(43)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 26: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 28: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 30: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(43)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 38: Dreadful Wail -- SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(48)
Level 41: Screech -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(48), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(50)
Level 44: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Power Sink -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(13), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(13), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), TchofDth-Dam%(17)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(19)
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface
------------

Edited by Bastille Boy

In terms of Sonic Blast, I tend to go with:

Single Target

Rotation: Shriek/Shout/Shriek/Screech. This is the best ST rotation for -resist debuffing at a reasonable level of recharge.

Slotting:

• Shriek: Superior Defender's Bastion
  • Shout: Apocalypse + Gladiator's Javelin +toxic
  • Screech: Superior Vigilant Assault 3-set, Gladiator's Javelin +toxic, Decimation +build up

AE

Rotation: Howl/Shockwave can be fired one after the other.

• Howl: All of the range enhancements from Detonation, Artillery, Positron's Blast + Positron's Blast +energy
  • Shockwave: All of the range enhancements from Detonation, Artillery, Positron's Blast + Overwhelming Force KB -> KD
  • Dreadful Wail: The rest of Vigilant Assault and +damage procs from PBAoE sets.

Taken together, you'll normally have to find a place for another purple set (the Sleep can be used, but I don't find it a particularly useful power). Most primaries have at least one power that can (usefully) slot a purple set. You'd also generally need to have Tactics for such a build due to the low accuracy on the Cones. However, any sort of generic slotting needs to be adjusted for the other power set options.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:59 AM, Hjarki said:

Single Target

Rotation: Shriek/Shout/Shriek/Screech. This is the best ST rotation for -resist debuffing at a reasonable level of recharge.

That is certainly a great rotation and offers a great balance between effective DPS and resistance debuffs while not requiring too much recharge (+278.79% for 91.48% average resistance debuff)

If you don't mind standing closer and using the Annihilation proc in Howl, you could go with:

Screech/Shriek/Scream/Howl as a rotation and squeeze out more resistance debuffing on average while requiring even less recharge (+260.75% for ~93.1% resistance debuff on average).

Or, you can do a rotation of with multiple Shrieks to give:

Screech/Shriek/Scream/Shriek/Howl which needs only +197.09% recharge for ~91.9% resistance debuff on average.

At worst, if the procs don't fire, you're looking at 88.15% and 87.6% average debuffs, respectively. So still fairly close while not breaking the bank on recharge. You can also Proc out Howl for some nice extra DPS.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn