I think the one of the reasons COH failed was lack of good marketing

darkhog

I don't know that I'd say a game that was actively supported for eight years -- and was profitable the entire time -- "failed." Not in the US, anyway; you could definitely argue that the Korean launch failed. In general, though, it was more successful than most MMOs.

Calling CoH a failure because it didn't have playerbase or longevity of WoW is like calling The Empire Strikes Back a failure because it didn't have as big an opening weekend as The Force Awakens.

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

I don't know that I'd say a game that was actively supported for eight years -- and was profitable the entire time -- "failed." Not in the US, anyway; you could definitely argue that the Korean launch failed. In general, though, it was more successful than most MMOs.

Calling CoH a failure because it didn't have playerbase or longevity of WoW is like calling The Empire Strikes Back a failure because it didn't have as big an opening weekend as The Force Awakens.

Agreed. Did CoH not perform better than Champions or the DC MMO? And I'm sure they had way more marketing.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

CoX was still turning a profit when it shut down. Supposedly a factor of its closure was due to office politics/failure of the korean

launch

More to do with family drama inside the company.  The younger brother of the family was trying to shut down his sister-in-law, and the sister-in-law was the champion of western-centric efforts... so, to get at her, he went through CoH/CoV.

Families.  The source of almost as much chaos as alcohol.

Back then and since, there was a lot of "Only popular in the West" type games that floundered in their home market of Korea. It would have been cool if they'd just drop the home market and let the other flourish, but as the previous person stated, other things were happening and all negotiations failed at that point.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Agreed. Did CoH not perform better than Champions or the DC MMO? And I'm sure they had way more marketing.

Yes it most certain did do better than both Champions and DC Online.

There is a reason why we are seeing 100's if not thousands of CoH fans playing this game again.

Did it really fail I mean it had at peak 180k subs kept over 100k for a long time. It never lost money and it was more an NCSoft issue than anything else

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA